Motoring Discussion > Drug Driving Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 11

Drug Driving - zippy
A close family friend as died in hospital after being knocked off his bicycle by a driver who was arrested at the scene after being found to have drugs in his system.

Lost for any other words.
 Drug Driving - Robin O'Reliant
I am very sorry to hear that Zippy, condolences to yourself and all those effected.

Drug driving has only recently been realised to be the huge problem it is. During two decades as a driving instructor I only ever had to refuse one lesson because the pupil had alcohol on his breath, but quite a few were turned away and warned about coming out reeking of weed, which is easily detectable. I have no doubt I took many a lesson with people who were on pills of one sort or another.
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Fri 1 Nov 19 at 18:44
 Drug Driving - Bobby
Really sorry to hear that Zippy.

Interestingly, for whatever reason, Scotland have only just last week introduced the drug swipe kits for the traffic police - something I have seen in the Interceptor type programmes for ages.

Lots of fightback from drug users especially those who like a joint - apparently it can stay in your system for a long time afterwards.
 Drug Driving - Kevin
Unfortunately it's much more common that most people think Zippy.

Drug driving seems to be more common than drink driving in the "In Court this Week" section of our local fishwrap.

What message is this sending?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-50219544
 Drug Driving - Bromptonaut
Mark Redknapp, son of Harry and older brother of TV pundit Jamie, has been banned for 3 years and fined £5k after being found guilty of drug driving. The substance was cocaine and the limit breached by a factor of five.

Report from Mirror:

www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/harry-redknapps-son-banned-road-20766509

Unusually for a Magistrates' Court case the Judges decision and rationale have been published too:

www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/r-v-redknapp-judgment.pdf
 Drug Driving - Runfer D'Hills
I take my car across the Channel or over to Ireland several times a year in the course of my work or indeed holidays. Most of the time security checks are cursory or you just get waved through, but occasionally I've had a random stop and search which has included the steering wheel and door handles being sort of swabbed by some kind of hand held device.

I've never asked what it was they were checking for, but I suppose I theorised that it was to check for traces of drugs?

So sorry to hear about your friend Zippy. I lost my best friend many years ago when he was run over by a drunk driver. We had been more or less inseparable since we were 4 years old until he was killed when he was 28. Such a waste, and almost certainly as a direct result, I have zero tolerance for anyone who drinks and drives. I probably do know people who use drugs and drive, but I'm so naïve about these things that I can't be sure.

Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sat 2 Nov 19 at 08:44
 Drug Driving - Bromptonaut
>> I've never asked what it was they were checking for, but I suppose I theorised
>> that it was to check for traces of drugs?

My understanding was that it's explosives but I guess you could look for drugs at same time.
Oh, ok, I hadn't thought of that angle. Makes sense now you mention it.
 Drug Driving - Rudedog
Don't forget prescription drugs or over the counter cold remedies, loads of people driving 'dosed' up as they can't take time off work or don't realise how it can affect your judgement.

Drug Driving - Zero
>> Oh, ok, I hadn't thought of that angle. Makes sense now you mention it.

Yer ferries are terrorist targets, and there have been several specific threats on the chunnel - Seem to recall one unpublicised actual attempt thwarted
 Drug Driving - No FM2R
>> >> I've never asked what it was they were checking for, but I suppose I
>> theorised
>> >> that it was to check for traces of drugs?
>>

Cocaine, typically. Or explosives of course. Different swabs and of course which it is depends on the route.

But typically cocaine because it is so easy to detect and so often smuggled.
Well, I do usually have a few cans of Diet Coke in the car when I'm on a long run.
;-)
Latest Forum Posts