Computer Related > Windows 10 Update Company Cars
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 13

Windows 10 Update - No FM2R
Just a heads up to anybody who pays as much attention to this stuff as me (i.e. none);

I leave updates on automatic and otherwise totally ignore the entire existence of windows updates.

Just yesterday I suddenly received a warning pop up which said something along the lines of "from xx-November I would no long receive automatic updates" or something like that.

On investigation I found that something had gone wrong with an update 6 months ago and everything since had got hung up.

When I resolved the issue, which I managed to do without actually working out what had gone wrong, a whole slew of updates came through. Some of them pretty significant; I was even on an old release, which is presumably why I'd got the warning.

So worth keeping half an eye open.
 Windows 10 Update - Zero
I have mine set to "notify" so I can check a: what it is, b:if its agro and c:confirm it installed ok.

Most windows 10 folk are stuck with "automatic updates we say you are going to get when we say you are going to get them" option by default.
 Windows 10 Update - devonite
We have no probs receiving updates, - but every time we do they knock out the wi-fi drivers! - no idea why tho.
 Windows 10 Update - Zero
>> We have no probs receiving updates, - but every time we do they knock out
>> the wi-fi drivers! - no idea why tho.

Because they are unapproved. So windows puts approved ones on, which are probably back level.
>>back level.

What's that?
 Windows 10 Update - Zero
>> >>back level.
>>
>> What's that?

Old, Basic, Original, Ie V1.0 is back level to V2.0
 Windows 10 Update - Zero
>> >>back level.
>>
>> What's that?

Old, Basic, Original, Ie V1.0 is back level to V2.0

Sometimes also known as down level
Never heard that expression before, thanks.
 Windows 10 Update - RichardW
Had the same trouble with ours installing a Windoze driver for the mousepad that was garbage every time it did an update - there's an option you can untick to stop Windows doing it.
www.laptopmag.com/articles/disable-automatic-driver-downloads-on-windows-10
 Windows 10 Update - Duncan
>> Most windows 10 folk are stuck with "automatic updates we say you are going to
>> get when we say you are going to get them" option by default.

I have minions to deal with this sort of trivia.
 Windows 10 Update - Zero

>> I have minions to deal with this sort of trivia.

Everyone knows minions stitch you up given the slightest chance.
>>; I was even on an old release

Scratch that, it's gone up two or three releases and is now on 1909.

I do hope that's the latest because the constant downloading and updating is becoming tiresome. albeit it automatic and in the background.
 Windows 10 Update - smokie
Mine upgraded last night and is also 1909 with no updates outstanding
 Windows 10 Update - smokie
I'm just finishing off making sure all our active PCs have all the latest updates on them. Once that's done I do a disk cleanup of system files then take an image of the C drive and boot bits using Macrium (making sure I verify it after it's done) which is archived to an offline USB disk.

That's 2 PCs and 2 laptops, plus there's another PC which I only update rarely as it barely gets used. But now I've thought of it, I might well do it, as Christmas and New Years Eve is the most likely time it'll be used.

Also have an old netbook but I've given up updating that as it doesn't get used and it was getting really really slow. I may stick Linux on it but I'm not sure what Id do with it. It's an aesthetically pleasing machine so I don't want to junk it but I can't think what to re-purpose it as.
Latest Forum Posts