Motoring Discussion > Driving in Kenya Miscellaneous
Thread Author: PeterS Replies: 13

Driving in Kenya - Runfer D'Hills
It's a lifetime ago now, but I was charged with setting up a supply line for a previous employer of goods from factories in rural southern Brazil. Similarly, at first I relied on hiring a car and driver but soon tired of the inconvenience.

I was given strong advice by the locals not to buy a new or premium car, ( even though my employers would have funded it ) but instead to choose something anonymous and have it done up and mechanically fettled while preserving its outer patina.

There was a fair old possibility of being hijacked or robbed at gunpoint in some of the dodgier areas if you looked like you might have any money and it was a sensible precaution to blend in a bit. Couple that with some of the roads being just compressed dirt and it made a lot of sense to have something more robust than luxurious.

Once I had my car ( an old Ford Landau that ran on sugar cane alcohol ) I soon got the lie of the land and didn't personally run into any bother in the five years or so I was there on and off, although I knew of others who did, and indeed witnessed it happening from a distance to some Americans I knew in another car. I also bought an old off road motorbike from a guy who was leaving the country and had a bit of fun with that.

The trick really was not to stand out from the crowd, which in such a multicultural place was fairly easy to achieve.

The Ford had, at the beginning of its life, been a bit of a luxury model by the standards of the day and the place, but by the time I had it, it was looking careworn enough not to draw unwanted attention. It looked a bit similar to a New York taxi cab apart from being black with a black vinyl roof.

I remember the first time I sent an expenses claim relating to it back to the UK, and apparently, ( this predates mobile phones and the Internet ) giving some accountant apoplexy when I submitted a bundle of receipts each representing 60 or so litres of alcohol. That was the fuel for the car of course but I think he thought I'd developed a serious drink problem !

Good for you Peter, I hope the job and change of scene prove both rewarding and cathartic. I'm sure many of look forward to hearing how it's going for you from time to time.

Messages Author Date
 Driving in Kenya new PeterS 18 Nov 19 16:51
 Driving in Kenya new Bromptonaut 18 Nov 19 17:29
 Driving in Kenya new PeterS 18 Nov 19 18:09
 Driving in Kenya new sooty123 18 Nov 19 18:56
 Driving in Kenya new James T 18 Nov 19 21:39
 Driving in Kenya new Runfer D'Hills 18 Nov 19 22:23
 Driving in Kenya new PeterS 19 Nov 19 05:34
 Driving in Kenya new No FM2R 18 Nov 19 22:02
 Driving in Kenya new Runfer D'Hills 18 Nov 19 22:25
 Driving in Kenya new PeterS 19 Nov 19 05:32
 Driving in Kenya new James T 19 Nov 19 07:34