Motoring Discussion > Volvo - V60 Cross Country. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 131

Volvo - V60 Cross Country. - R.P.
Off for a test drive tomorrow in a D4, contemplating a T5 (petrol) The deal is good - if I took finance ( 0 percent) there's a 2.5k deposit contribution from the dealer and a 7.5% "Affinity" discount. Bringing it down from the 40k sticker price.
 Volvo - V60 Cross Country. - Duncan
Why are they so anxious to get rid of them? Is it run out stock?
 Volvo - V60 Cross Country. - Netsur
Have they fixed the EGR clogging issue in the D4?
 Volvo - V60 Cross Country. - Zero
No-one has fixed any EGR clogging issue on any car. Its a technology designed to fail, water cooling it can help, but not fully alleviate it.
 Volvo - V60 Cross Country. - Runfer D'Hills
I was parked next to a V90 Crosscountry today. Found myself rather liking it. Might be an age thing of course, but I reassured myself by not liking the Honda Jazz next to it at least. ;-)
 Volvo - V60 Cross Country. - CGNorwich
There comes a time when you realise that by far the most important thing about a car is whether you can get in it or not. You realise this at roughly the same time as you find what a good thing hats are.
 Volvo - V60 Cross Country. - Kevin
>You realise this at roughly the same time as you find what a good thing hats are.

I went into town yesterday to pick up Mrs K from the dentist and pay a cheque into the bank. Car said outside temp was 3C. I have a Barbour hat I bought for shooting in winter when i lived in Yorkshire - wish I'd taken it because it sure as heck didn't feel like 3C.
Called at the Anglesey dealer today. First class service. The dog-crate wouldn't fit. They'd anticipated this and sourced a T5 V90 that just, and only just didn't hit the 40k tax threshold. They wheeled out a V90 CC demo and the crate fitted perfectly.They then got a petrol demo to give me an accompanied test drive, this was scrubbed at the last moment and they said I could take it for the weekend. I can't commend them enough. Shuffling cars around until we got what we wanted. The one they've found will be shod with winter tyres (they'll store and swap the tyres - how old fashioned). I've brought it home and will give it a testing tomorrow. Trip home across was fine, the superb active cruise control has evolved since I owned my V40 and was engaged in heavy traffic after a bridge strike on the A55. Flawless. Very smart interior, super shard in fact. Seems like a very good motor. I've got until Monday to decide. The one I've been loaned is metallic grey, the one they've fond for me is a new for 2020 "pine grey" fully loaded with the winter pack and other nice things.

Initial impressions of the car are fine. The interior design is superb with the the large touch screen controlling more or less everything. A real object lesson in ergonomics and easy to get used to via the iPAD sized display. Talking to the salesman it's clear that a lot of "factory" extras are retrofittable, maybe a neat way of dodging the tax thresholds.

Again lovely service from Ty'n Lon Volvo - a long standing independent Volvo dealer - no hard sell only friendly solution seeking.
 Volvo - V60 Cross Country. - Bobby
Have Volvo finally done away with that keypad layout of number buttons on their dash?
Yonks ago, been replaced by a large touch screen
 Volvo - V60 Cross Country. - Paul Robinson
I'd be interested to hear how you feel about the physical size of the V90, particularly coming from a 3 series. On paper a V90 would be a good choice for me, but having had a Volvo S80 in the past which was lovely in many ways but a pain at times because of the sheer bulk of it and wasn't brilliant to manoeuvre ...
Paul, it was around 500mm longer than the 3 Series and a little wider. The lock, bizarrely, was b as good as the 3 Series, probably down to the 3's X Drive. Whilst a superb dual carriageway cruiser, it proved unwieldy in the Morrisons' car-park test and public car-park tests - just too long for comfort. We carried a rear seat passenger last night for 100mile round trip and she reported masses of room, but she did feel very far away from the front seats ! I had made the decision not to have it by that time and the dealership were cool with me keeping it an extra night. Took it back this morning and test drove a D4 V60 CC which felt perfect. After an age of shopping around different options decided on a V60 T5 CC plus. This was already ear-marked for the dealer so should be with them in a week or so, with all discounts applied the price dropped by 10%, I had what I expected for the BMW. So I'm happy. The crate issue will be sorted tomorrow. (sell the old one which is like new and buy a new bespoke one)

V90 sort of wafts along in a very unhurried way, but its waftness belies a turn of speed when required.
 Volvo - V60 Cross Country. - Paul Robinson
Thank you, that's very helpful. Will be keen to read how you get on with the V60 CC!
If you cast your mind back we owned two Volvos in recent years. The 5 cylinder D4 V50 which was an excellent all round load and dog lugger and the the much missed (mostly) V40 T5 CC - they were very good in our tenure no real issues, the V50 even had headlamp bulbs that you could change yourself ! If anyone wants a very good 2.5 year old Transk9 dog cage for

Mercedes C Class Estate 2008-2013
Mercedes C Class Estate 2014 >
Volvo V50 Estate 2004-2014
Toyota Auris ST 2012-2018
Subaru Levorg 2015 >
Toyota Avensis Tourer 2003-2008
BMW 3 Series Touring 2013 >
Toyota Avensis Tourer 2009-2015

I have one for sale. It will also fit larger cars e.g. a V90 ;-)

>> I have one for sale. It will also fit larger cars e.g. a V90 ;-)

If you have trouble getting shot, let me know and I'll cross post onto various dog sport websites. TransK9 and Safedog are very sought after cages.
Thanks Zero
 Volvo - V60 Cross Country. - Crankcase
>>Trip home
>> across was fine, the superb active cruise control has evolved since I owned my V40
>> and was engaged in heavy traffic after a bridge strike on the A55.

Be interested to know in which way it has evolved? I'm struggling to think what it can do it didn't before?
Well in a nutshell, you can now link it to speed limits, the car recognises the speed limits and slows down to that speed limit if you so choose. My old V40 couldn't do that.
Does it see a 50 sticker on the back of a van and go doolally on the motorway?
Dunno....it's a free for all on the A55 !
My BMW picks up all the speed signs from motorway sliproads.

Can be confusing sitting on motorway with the heads up telling me it’s a 30 limit!

There is also one local road where I turn left at the roundabout. It picks up the NSL sign on the straight ahead road but then changes to a 20 limit. I have searched and there is physically no 20 sign anywhere!
>> My BMW picks up all the speed signs from motorway sliproads.

My BMW has a pair of eyes behind the steering wheel. They are perfectly aligned to see the speed limit signs, unlike the dash display.

I cant think of anything less useful than a speed limit warning out of your eyeline.
 Volvo - V60 Cross Country. - James T
>> but then changes to a 20 limit. I have searched and there is physically no 20 sign anywhere!

There's a road where one of our cars reads the 20 from the front of a wheelie bin.
There's some stuff floating about that seems to imply these speed monitoring systems will be a requirement on new cars from about 2021, from memory?

If they are intended to apply brakes, as opposed to some sort of audible signal only, it sounds as if there may be a fair way to go with the tech yet.

Volvo - V60 Cross Country. - Clk Sec

>> There's a road where one of our cars reads the 20 from the front of a wheelie bin.

What about the bin outside No 90? Must be quite confusing.
>>
>> >> There's a road where one of our cars reads the 20 from the front
>> of a wheelie bin.
>>
>> What about the bin outside No 90? Must be quite confusing.

No 156 wont be an issue for me, but some others may struggle.
I wouldn't try doing 156 on those little wheels and soft suspension, what's more, green cars are reckoned to be the least visible to other road users. Dodgy all round really if you start driving about too fast...

Just saying, don't want you getting into any bother and so on...

;-))
 Volvo - V60 Cross Country. - tyrednemotional
>>
>> No 156 wont be an issue for me......
>>

...unless it happens to be the number 156 bus......?
Last edited by: tyrednemotional on Tue 26 Nov 19 at 17:24
 Volvo - V60 Cross Country. - Avant
I thought vehicle tax was based on the list price of the car, which must be way over £40k for a V90 T5. Presumably not a deal-breaker, compared with the cost of the car.

Two things to make sure you can live with:

1 The touchscreen controlling heating and AC: could be dangerous on its own but there's a voice control alternative. I don't know how well that works.

2 Thirst: I had a V60 D4 which averaged low 40s mpg from a mixture of short and long runs - poor for a diesel. I have two friends with XC40s - a T5 which does about 32 mpg and a D4 averaging 42 mpg.

I appreciate that the dog crate restricts choice, although in your shoes I think I'd be trying a Skoda Superb estate (petrol 272 bhp), in the hope that it could do everything a V90 could but more economically and for less initial cost.
Avant,

The threshold is £40,258 - there's an instant £1000.00 hit as you drive it out of the showroom. Annual tax (on V60s above the threshold) is £300.00 above the normal rate for five years, so £2.5k in total. My three series dodged the 40k limit by six months...
if you cant afford the 500 quid road tax, you cant afford to consider near £40k cars.
I just resent paying it.
As a left field test we took a Subaru Levorg for a test. The dog crate fits in the back. Beautiful dynamics (a face only its mother could love though) fully loaded for 30k on the road - it was a lovely drive- it is a CVT auto. 5 year warranty was a draw. Mrs RP took it by the scruff of the neck and woke it up dynamically, ultimately just a little small for our needs (much smaller inside than the 3 Series) - uninspiring interior. Shame really I really wanted to like it. Shame the e-boxer engine isn't available.
There is only ONE SUV of any note worth considering

The DBX

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO9jwBH1Ob0

Gott im Himmel that thing is utterly GORGEOUS

There was a feature on it on the BBC Wales news the other evening. Made in St Athan, proudly sporting "Made in Wales" on its VIN plate. Yes, I would have one tomorrow.
Volvo are making some very attractive cars again, after a somewhat bland period (admittedly in my subjective opinion)

The other brand I've started "noticing" again is Peugeot. The new 5008 is nice, as indeed is the new 508 estate.

Hope you enjoy the car Rob.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Mon 25 Nov 19 at 20:38
Thanks Humph. The interiors are incredible - 5008 does have the look of the Pugs of yore..Police around here use them as response cars, easily mistaken for Traffic BMWs...which might be a good thing
 Volvo - V60 Cross Country. - Netsur
Was near Blackpool yesterday and was followed by a new 508. It overtook me at the top of a slip road. That is one good looking car.
Car was delivered on Friday, been busy not much chance for a proper drive however today was a 100mile round trip.

The car is Ice White comes in the CC plus trim, which includes a full leather interior (old fashioned leather that is) in Amber. The interior design is superb. Minor irritation. Is the start button which is on the centre console and is a twist to start and to stop..There are 7 buttons on the dash, everything else is controlled from the Sonous system, most functions, once set can be operated by voice control, essential for the radio and heating I find. The Intellsafe system is remarkable, and the self steering is spooky, but it's wise enough not to let you take your hands off the wheel, n short when engaged this steers the car, linked to the City Safe system it is awesomely capable, Driving through town earlier there was a chime and a visual alert when someone was close to stepping off a pavement, I suspect it was preparing itself to stop.- it is trickery ! Gearbox is 8 speed auto, not as refined as the BMW with an old fashioned clunky gate unlike BMW's superb electronic selector. The adaptive all LED lighting is far better than my old V40 T5 - it seems to direct light from oncoming cars when it senses them, the beam pattern is directed to the verge (and pedestrians) I think it can be altered for LHD simply !

Difficult not compare it with the BMW, but here goes. It's higher, slightly longer and a little wider, in fact it's ride height is around 20cm. You Tube suggests some off road capability, in fact it has a proper off-road driving mode with Hill Descent mode built in when that is engaged. Its four cylinder 250bhp engine is near silent in use and linked to supple suspension it has a high "waft" factor. It is very smooth on dual carriageways. Somehow it seems unkind to urge it to go quicker, not used the performance on it yet, but tests I've seen suggest it's sufficient. So far so good. Compared to the V90 it feels "normal" that car is far too big :-)

Complaints: Very few so far - I can't stream from my iPhone at the moment, it has been linked to the car but won't stream music for some odd reason, it is supposed to ! The self locking should be like the Mazda's....walk away from the MX5 and it locks behind you.

The Dealer has been superb as mentioned before, the option was to go to Chester which is closer, but the intimacy of a family company and superb staff was worth the extra.
Last edited by: R.P. on Tue 3 Dec 19 at 17:30
Took it to add an accessory today. It was meant to be a 2.5 hour job. On my arrival the service manager said it would take longer than expected - rather than make me wait, they gave me a XC40 T4 demo. What a lovely car. Has a real premium feel, despite it being a "basic" - bit small for my needs, but a lovely cabin, high quality cabin, beautiful seats, the same supple ride quality as the V60 and the V90. A jewel of a car.
Car's settling in fine. It already looks "rural" which is great. Don't like shiny cars. Transk9 cage sold for a good price on e-bay, being collected on Saturday.

Had a text today from the dealer offering a "polestar" upgrade on the car at a discounted price from £799 to £599....not bothering. The car is a superb drive in standard form, sort of wafts along, with smooth and rapid acceleration as and when required.

It's a nice car with few irritations. One irritation is the lack of walkaway locking like the MX5 has..so useful.
 Volvo - V60 Cross Country. - Avant
I think there must be quite a difference in 'driveability' between petrol and diesel Volvos.

My last car was a diesel V60 (D4) - worthy and solid but stodgy and unexciting to drive. I had a petrol V60 once as a courtesy car and it was far livelier and lighter on its feet. I think that one was an R-Design which might have made a difference.

I had a good test run in an XC40 when they came out, but then (early 2018) they were still pushing diesels. A good car but rther wallowy: if you like a Qashqai then you'd like this. But that clearly wasn't your impression of the petrol XC40. Friends have a T5 and love it.

I wonder how you're getting on with the touchscreen-controlled heating and AC. To have to prod away just to adjust the temperature etc sounds potentially dangerous - but Volvo say that you can do it all by voice control.

Oddly, it sort of clicked with me this morning, selecting the temp is quite easy once that happens. Can also be done on voice activation, she's a bit nervy but normally gets it right. The car flagged a low washer fluid level today, guess that's down to the headlamp washers..(old school) - The car is definitely smoother than the 3 series...that 6 cyl monster provoked you in to rapid progress, I sort of miss that, the interior of the Volvo is light years ahead of my old car. Swallowed a stack of food boxes for the local food-bank the other morning. I was suspicious that there wouldn't be any room - but it was easier.
 Volvo - V60 Cross Country. - legacylad
Interesting thread. An acquaintance of mine is always ‘ thinking’ about replacing his 20yo A4 Estate Tdi....he’s very environmentally conscious and thinks it best to keep it going rather than get something newer. His annual mileage is circa 5k, mostly very short journeys. I disagree and given the fact that money isn’t really a problem I argue that a newer car with modern safety features is the future!
I think a V60 petrol would be perfect....he prefers FWD and always fits a full set of winter tyres come November.
One of the options we explored with the dealer was a 2wd with winters (stored by the dealer in summer). I found the AWD attractive personally. It's not been off road, but found itself in significant mud on a dog walking trip yesterday. It's very good at getting going with zero fuss !
Apropos of nothing much, I bought some "proper" winter tyres for the Merc last winter (RWD of course ) Stored them in my garage over the summer and put them back on again in November.

I'd never really felt the need before but I was going to Germany, France and Italy last winter and I decided to try them.

Noisy things by comparison to summer tyres but boy do they work in the conditions they're intended for.

One day in late November we were up at Llandegla to mountain bike and it had snowed heavily. The access road is steep and winding. Range Rovers on summer tyres were struggling to get up the hill while my E Class on winters just sailed up.

Uncanny really how well those tyres work in those conditions.

Volvo - V60 Cross Country. - zippy
>>Uncanny really how well those tyres work in those conditions.

That's good to know as I live on a steep un-adopted road that won't be gritted, it may be a good idea to get a set.

I recall an article somewhere about a Peugeot 2008 on their recommended tyres with software grip control and it got out of a snow bound valley when other more expensive 4x4s failed!
>> >>Uncanny really how well those tyres work in those conditions.
>>
>> That's good to know as I live on a steep un-adopted road that won't be
>> gritted, it may be a good idea to get a set.
>>
>> I recall an article somewhere about a Peugeot 2008 on their recommended tyres with software
>> grip control and it got out of a snow bound valley when other more expensive
>> 4x4s failed!

Not my personal experience, the x-drive beemer on summer tyres fared spectacularly well in the dales during the beast from the east.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 11 Jan 20 at 14:23
 Volvo - V60 Cross Country. - sooty123
That's done it!
What Zero says. The 335 managed the 1/4 mile up a steep hill home on its standard tyres. Lock it in a low gear, disconnect nanny software and let the beast chugg up the hill on tickover. Ir was fine
Well, to be fair, even the Merc on summer tyres wasn't nearly as much of a problem as you might imagine (or have been led to believe ) in poor traction conditions. I'd think a 4WD BMW would be pretty good.

I suspect all the modern traction control systems are a big help in keeping everything going unless you drive too lumpish.

But, the thing with the winters was that they didn't slip or spin out at all under acceleration, braking or cornering even on snow or ice. Kind of weird sensation in truth.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sat 11 Jan 20 at 14:36
>>
>> I suspect all the modern traction control systems are a big help in keeping everything
>> going unless you drive too lumpish.
>>

Depending on the particular implementation, in certain conditions in snow it is better to turn (certain elements of) the traction control/ESP systems.

Counter-intuitive I know, but RTFM.

(The '58 Mondeo I had was a pig to get/keep going in soft snow with all the systems active, but absolutely fine once disabled (as per the manual)).
One of the best cars I ever had for snow driving was a Xantia. If it bottomed out you could just raise the suspension up a bit to unstick it. Pandas were good too. Lightweight, good ground clearance and skinny tyres must have helped I suppose.

Anyway, it's all mostly about recognising the conditions and driving accordingly really isn't it? 4WD, winter tyres etc all help of course but ultimately it's the nut behind the wheel that has the most important role to play. ;-)
Missed the edit, but my post should, of course, have said:

Depending on the particular implementation, in certain conditions in snow it is better to turn (certain elements of) the traction control/ESP systems off.
RTFM in the Beemer, it was pretty clear on what to restrict or turn off to attempt the ascent !. The Volvo's systems are more modest, but the tyres are all season and have a decent profile and tread.
This is quite interesting, in fact it was probably watching this that convinced me to try winter tyres on the Merc.

Two near identical cars, one with 4WD and summer tyres, the other with 2WD and winter tyres. Tested in the same winter conditions by the same driver. Which will fare better?

m.youtube.com/watch?v=atayHQYqA3g
As I imagined. My old Beemer on Michelin Alpins was mightily impressive on snow.
Shame they couldn’t proof read the banners correctly.....’obstical’ avoidance (sic)

Pedant coat on, but maybe it was written by a Scandinavian. Whose English is normally better than mine.
Last edited by: legacylad on Sun 12 Jan 20 at 12:03
I remember watching that video when I was buying my X1 and looking at every review under the sun!

Since 2007 I have had

Seat Altea - had a really bad winer so fitted snow tyres the next year. Not even a hint of frost all winter!

Hyundai ix 35 4WD - very little snow and the one spell that we did have I was disappointed to find that it couldnt climb the steepish hill next to my dads house.

Honda Civic - fitted all seasons to this - crossclimates - again never had much snow to put them to the test.

Now have the X1 - still on the factory fitted Bridgestones and as I will be a train commuter in my new job then I think thats the way it will stay.
Hey Bobby, pleased to hear you've got a new job !

:-)
+1

(unless the commute is to Easterhouse :-O )
 Volvo - V60 Cross Country. - No FM2R
>> in my new job

Good luck Bobby, a weight off your mind, I'm sure. I hope the new job goes well and that you're happy in it.

p.s. I *love* train commuting. Though Bromp who did it for a million years may have a different perspective.
Cheers guys my working career has gone full circle.

I started off working for Norwich Union in Glasgow, train commuting. My new office is going to be a stones throw away from that. Back to being office based, this time in a civil service type role.

I remember when I got made redundant from there, I looked for job security and decided to get into retail as , no matter what else happens, folk always need to go to the shops to buy anything..... That was back in 1995, how things change!!

I don't mind train commuting , a pair of headphones and a book and I'm sorted. Its more the lack of flexibility that will be the challenge. For the last 12 years I manged 18 shops so could either be office based or out and about whenver it suited me. Haircut? Just pop into a barbers near one of my shops. Dr appt, nip home between visits.

Prior to that it was 10 years with Safeway working shifts over the week so always space for appointments, doing stuff during the week outwith work. Gonna be strange but glad to get back into a routine.

I was tempted to ask my new employers if they would grant me phased return, let me have my afternoon siesta that I am accustomed to and my morning cuddles on the couch with my labrador puppy but I thought that would be pushung my luck!
>>
>> I was tempted to ask my new employers if they would grant me phased return,
>> let me have my afternoon siesta that I am accustomed to and my morning cuddles
>> on the couch with my labrador puppy but I thought that would be pushung my
>> luck!
>>

...yeah...they can't have you showing them up by working harder than them from day one...

;-)
 Volvo - V60 Cross Country. - Bromptonaut
>>For the last12 years I manged 18 shops so could either be office based or out and
>> about whenver it suited me.

>> Prior to that it was 10 years with Safeway

I well remember you posting stuff as a Safeway worker and after some time in that mode dealing with your issues after Wm Morrison's buyout.

Quite a few of us have been in same virtual pub for nearly 20 years.....
Love train travel, hate commuting times tho.
Love train travel, hate commuting times tho.

Never commuted by train..

Two rail routes in north Wales (more down south somewhere...) have been designated as routes that you can use your bus pass on. The Conwy valley line (all year) and the Cambrian coast line (seasonal)...both pencilled in for this year ;-)
>> Love train travel, hate commuting times tho.
>>
>> Never commuted by train..
>>
>> Two rail routes in north Wales (more down south somewhere...) have been designated as routes
>> that you can use your bus pass on. The Conwy valley line (all year) and
>> the Cambrian coast line (seasonal)...both pencilled in for this year ;-)

Nice routes.
I really don't like trains, but I think more people should use them. "My" roads are getting terribly full. ;-)
>> I really don't like trains, but I think more people should use them. "My" roads
>> are getting terribly full. ;-)

Roads are full of commercial travellers, The old phrase I think used to be "Traveling in ladies underwear"
>>
>> Roads are full of commercial travellers, The old phrase I think used to be "Traveling
>> in ladies underwear"
>>

....it has metamorphosed into "travelling in women's shoes"......
If I'm ever forced to attend one of those gatherings that anyone sensible would rather not be at, you know the sort of thing, waiters wandering around with soggy canopes and cheap fizz, celebrating the opening or launching of something tiresome usually, you almost always encounter someone who asks you what you "do".

I habitually tell them that I spend most of my time messing around with ladies shoes.

Generally has the desired effect of them quickly moving on and finding some other poor victim.

;-)
>>I habitually tell them that I spend most of my time messing around with ladies shoes.

It must be so nice to now get paid for what previously had been a discrete past-time.
I've been open about it for over 40 years.
That's a long time in one trade. You must, and I mean no sarcasm, really know how the entire industry works and, I presume, all the major players within it.

I don't know if I would have preferred that or I am glad it never arose.
Aye, I suppose I do know most people who make things happen in that world. It's a fairly small community in truth.
Ha ha yip , jeez, its been a while!

Morrisons finally understood that Barrs Irn Bru wasnt just a small local supplier to be delisted......
The talk of the steamy round here is that our local corner shop was recently sold by its retiring owners to McColls.

They still sell gin but have de-listed tonic.

There may be trouble ahead...

:-(
Irn Bru is pretty much the only fizzy soft drink I can maange, others are too sweet.

Pity they didn't stick with full sugar recipe. Personally I've no problem with ingesting/digesting Aspartame but I'm old enough to remember Cyclamte and I'd rather deal with sugar, the risks of which are well understood, then some chemical.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 12 Jan 20 at 21:36
 Volvo - V60 Cross Country. - Kevin
>Personally I've no problem with ingesting/digesting Aspartame..

I have problems with artificial sweetners. One can of diet or zero-sugar anything gives me stomach ache for hours.
>> p.s. I *love* train commuting. Though Bromp who did it for a million years may
>> have a different perspective.

Naah. I can moan about various phases like the gauge corner cracking panic or problems with Euston's throat but on the whole it was positive.

Going into London of a morning I'd have a packed breakfast and coffee flask. Time to read the Guardian and plan the day ahead. Or sleep if needs be.

Homebound it was read The Standard or sleep. Latterly listen to MP3 player.

For all the trouble now and then most nights I'd get 17:15(ish) off Euston and be in car on St Andrew's Road witihn 50 yds of same place an hour and bit later when BBC news was om stock market/forex report.

Even after years, when I knew the line almost as well as drivers, scenery still varied enough to be interesting.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 12 Jan 20 at 20:48
Twice in my life I have been able to walk to work. Walking to work is the ultimate luxury.

But if you can't walk, then commuting by train is the next best thing. Coffee, newspaper, time to get your head together and prepare on the way in and then coming home there is time to get work back out of the head and calm down with a G&T and a newspaper.
If I'm not out and about, I can slide down the bannister to work. Upsets the dog though, for some reason.
I'm not very good at working from home. Sufficiently bad at it that typically I avoided it as much as possible.
..the dog would prefer you to be out and about....?
>> ..the dog would prefer you to be out and about....?

No, I think he's jealous mostly, I think he'd love to be able to slide down the bannister.
...ahh....rather like you wish you could lick your.......
Never tried, is that a thing in Yorkshire ? I know Lancastrians sometimes kick each other with clogs on so nothing would serve to shock... ;-)
I’m not surprised. Try wearing some clothes. No wonder the dogs upset.
Last edited by: legacylad on Sun 12 Jan 20 at 23:17
That'd be some serious fiction burns.
...you wouldn't want to use the handrail climbing the stairs in that house....
Is that another thing in Yorkshire, wandering around your own house naked? Ok, not for me to judge I suppose. Must be quite a worry what with all those ferrets though...
 Volvo - V60 Cross Country. - sooty123
>> Twice in my life I have been able to walk to work. Walking to work
>> is the ultimate luxury.
>>

It certainly is, it's something I've always thought of as a massive benefit. I can't say I'm looking forward to the day I have a proper commute, always seemed to me to be a total waste of time.
 Volvo - V60 Cross Country. - CGNorwich
In my time I’ve commuted by bus, tube, train, car, bike and for the final 20 years of work walked ( I live about 2 miles from the city centre). Walking is by far the least stressful.
 Volvo - V60 Cross Country. - commerdriver
>> In my time I’ve commuted by bus, tube, train, car, bike and for the final
>> 20 years of work walked ( I live about 2 miles from the city centre).
>> Walking is by far the least stressful.
>>
I are very jealous, as I approach the end of 43 years of a working life, I have actually enjoyed the work id not the commutes and some of the company cr*p over the years.

I have never been able to walk to work except where I have been able to work from home.
The nearest I have come was being able to walk from the hotel to the client, when I have been away on a regular Monday - Thursday stint.
I positively encourage our guys to work from home. Their productivity is very easily measured and indeed their income is linked to it, so the jobs tend to attract self starting personalities anyway.

What's the point in someone getting up at God awful o'clock, to travel in stressful conditions to arrive at an office where all they are fit for during the first half hour is drinking coffee. Then doing a day's work followed by an equally miserable journey home. When instead, they can make their own hours and so long as they are achieving or exceeding their agreed objectives, then everyone is happy. Not that they can't come in as and when it suits them or us of course.

I don't really care when they start or finish, or how long they take for lunch, or how many fag breaks they allow themselves as long as the results we need or better are achieved.
>>
>> I don't really care when they start or finish, or how long they take for
>> lunch, or how many fag breaks they allow themselves......
>

...or even how much time they waste on the internet......

;-)

Aye, that too;-)
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Mon 13 Jan 20 at 12:26
And banister sliding
>>I positively encourage our guys to work from home.......

I think it entirely depends on the person. Some people, me for example, prefer the entire office environment even if a commute is involved. I would often go to the office, even at the weekend, for that environment if I had something substantial to do.

I agree with not forcing someone into the office who doesn't need to be there all the time, but everybody needs to be there at least a bit.

Salesmen and BD guys tend to be a different breed, of course, but even they need some interaction with other people from the company.

I entirely agree with your point about measuring people by their results and not by their timekeeping or personal habits; even if that includes sliding down a banister using their balls as brakes.
I think it depends to a degree on the person, but there are a lot of other factors to take into account before deciding it's a good thing.

Some people (and I suspect it is the majority) are constitutionally unsuited for WFH, whatever the circumstance. Others are capable of being valuable and productive in restricted periods, and others for significantly longer sessions, but what they are (supposed to be) doing is a major factor.

I think there are a minority of jobs(roles) that lend themselves to (semi-) permanently WFH. There are few roles that wouldn't suit at least short periods of WFH, but I am convinced that the majority of work productivity is improved by day-to-day teamwork and face-to-face interaction. Certainly, this latter applies to me, and most of my working life.

I've never really enjoyed extended periods of WFH (which is probably a mark of my own preferences), but my various work responsibilities over the years have rather negated it as an option anyway.

I have, however, spent an awful lot of time working extended hours away from my home office, at distributed work locations, client locations, supplier locations, and far too much time in corporate lawyer's offices.

I've almost always had (man-)managerial responsibilities at the same time, and I must admit the advent of the mobile phone (my first was a bulky fixed car kit in the company car) improved things in one way (but being "permanently available" was sometimes rather less than an improvement, and certainly permanently extended my working day).

Whilst not generally supporting extended WFH, I have always been in favour of allowing a significant amount of flexibility in working pattern. Given that it was the upside I had in return for "putting myself out" in my early career, it was something I've endeavoured to "pass forward" to those that worked for me. Only a few abused the privilege, and failed to find a reasonable balance - they didn't last long.

After all that, and demonstrating that I'm not much in favour of WFH, I have to say that in my time I've worked with some people who I wish had worked from home. ;-)
It is of course now used as a resource balancing action* a certain company, encouraged and equipped its workforce to WFH, mostly to cut down on expensive real estate and the support that goes with it.

Later of course, WFH was discouraged and you were offered a location to work from a long distance away from your home. The alternative was statuary minimum *redundancy
I find I get naff all done when I have an office day. I do show up there maybe once a week or twice a fortnight if that makes sense? But, while our building is pretty much state of the art and full of shiny bits of new officy kit, it's entirely open plan and that does my head in.

People constantly talk to you, mostly pleasantries of course, do I want a coffee, we always have coffee at 11.00 you see, do I want a sandwich, the sandwich van comes at 12.00 you see, have I heard that Maisie in the warehouse is pregnant again? Actually, no, I don't want a coffee right now thanks, no, I'm not sure I do want a sandwich at the moment, and while I'm pleased for Maisie of course, I do rather need to get these budgets written up...

Edit- "Oh and would you like to buy a raffle ticket" Sheesh... :-(

Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Mon 13 Jan 20 at 15:46
You clearly have a welcoming and open demeanour when working hard or under pressure.

I do not.

I usually have my own office with a ferocious assistant guarding it, which also makes life easier.
>>I do not...

Aye, but you're one of them there "Insultants" aren't you? Everyone is frightened of them.
;-)
 Volvo - V60 Cross Country. - commerdriver
For me, and for countless like me employed up and down the country it is part of a standard working pattern on most IT contracts, Monday - Thursday on the client site, wherever that is, usually meaning stay at hotel for 3 nights, with long drive / train journey , flight at either end, followed by day wfh on Friday, catching up on documents, expenses, timesheets, planning etc

ecological disaster in that employees frequently cross over on Mondays & Thursdays and many extra miles and hours are "wasted" but nobody has really yet found a way round that as the "skills etc don't match"

However, we do get to see the world.
The latest is sunny Southend :-)

>>
>> Edit- "Oh and would you like to buy a raffle ticket" Sheesh... :-(
>>
...that last one's the giveaway as to why you don't like it....
 Volvo - V60 Cross Country. - zippy
>>WFH.

My contract insists I work from home. Multinational company is too tight to pay for office space!

They also refuse to pay for a telephone / broadband and provide the cheapest crappiest printers you can imagine.

It wasn't always like this, which is why I changed from my previous employer. They were sending emails at 03:00 in the morning and insisting on immediate replies - if you didn't you got balled out in the next departmental meeting or wouldn't get a seat in the meeting. You'd be invited - but no seat! Again a major UK PLC.

When you work at home your line manager can't see how busy you are and therefore they just piles the work on. You can tell them but they don't listen because they can't see it. The manager that used to do the job knows that but they move on and the new managers that come in don't have the technical skills to do the job, they don't appreciate or understand what you do, each file to them is the same. Some can take 1 hour, some 48 hours. Unfortunately they tend to allocate everyone the same number of files and juniors get 5 easy ones a day and seniors get 5 difficult ones a day and no one cares that you work until 4AM to sort them.

Time to move on again.
>> >>WFH.
>>
>> My contract insists I work from home. Multinational company is too tight to pay for
>> office space!
>>
>> They also refuse to pay for a telephone / broadband and provide the cheapest crappiest
>> printers you can imagine.

And people say trades unions are no longer relevant.........
The current UK implementations of unions are a total nightmare. Generally awful organisations with no common sense or vision.
There is a place for unions, but not that type.
Bit of an update. Car has been daily use over the lockdown - collecting and delivering food for the local Foodbank, where pre-Covid I used to go to for 2 hours every two weeks for a bit of a social. I now effectively work there every day at some point, doing admin, treasury and, as mentioned delivering or collecting food. The car has been an amazing load carrier - loading up once a week at the local Morrisons and delivering pre-packed food to people across the county. The car has been peerless swallowing many Kgs of food into it's cavernous interior. There was a safety recall on a potential auto brake issue. The car was collected, fixed and returned by the supplying dealers who are 45 miles away when they re-opened. Got a text from them the other day offering the "Polestar" upgrade for half the retail £760 cost. Took them up on it and it has made a significant difference to mid-range torque, something I missed from the massive amount of woosh the BMW provided......The beauty of is that it is selectable by driving mode. No insurance or warranty penalties, it has firmed up the car's performance....still miss that awesome BMW six cylinder and perfect gear box though ;-)
Blimey, had it over a year now ! 10000 tripped over the other day, not many long trips at all. Car goes fine, had its first service a few weeks ago (I bought a service pack with it) and the car was collected and delivered by the dealer - sent away dirty, came back spotless. No issues. Apple Play is great, especially when delivering - touch the address on the e-mailed details and it instantly translates into a route on the Google map repeater on the car's screen. Mrs RP decided the G30 wasn't for her and chopped it in for an ex-demo Mini Clubman with all the toys. All done over the phone or 'net - the car was delivered from Halliwell Jones in Warrington. A company, as you can imagine, we're very familiar with !
R.P. Any idea of your recent mpg ?
I assume that the CC variant is similar to the Active on the Focus...slightly raised ride height, more toys, loose surface & slippery driving modes ?

Just asking because I’ll be selling the Barbie mobile soon....the V60 is too large ( I think) for my requirements , I don’t want another SUV, but need something fairly capacious and comfortable for driving too and from Spain and once there getting around on mountain roads, often unmade.

The capital I release can go toward a property out there ( in case you were wondering)
Last edited by: legacylad on Tue 22 Dec 20 at 08:15
Dacia Duster 4x4, Fiat Panda 4x4, Suzuki Jimny,

Given your precise requirement, Seat Ateca 4x4 DSG.
Like you Zeddo I’m wary, perhaps unnecessarily so, of DSG.
And the idea of driving from N Yorks to the Costa Blanca in some of those doesn’t bear thinking about...3 or 4 passengers with luggage won’t fit, and I need room for 3 passengers whilst in Spain as the 3 walking groups I go out with 4 or 5 days a week car share.

Plan A is to tour France with friends whilst en route, outdoor fun in the Pyrenees and Picos, etc..Focus/XC40 sized seems a happy medium.

Several fellow Spanish walking pals run Seat/ Hyundai/Volvo soft roaders
 Volvo - V60 Cross Country. - PeterS
All would do the job I expect, and I am a fan of the little Panda and Suzuki 4x4s, but it’s 1,200 miles to Cartagena even from the south coast and with best will in the world I can’t see that being fun in either of those 2. The Duster and Altecca would be a lot more comfortable I expect. It’s a shame Skoda don’t make the Yeti any more :(

Of course, want you really want for crossing continents is a bit of power, comfort and decent handling. Throw in the requirement for a bit of space to carry stuff, and a raised ride height for use at the destination and, well... ;)
I’ll be driving out twice a year, possibly 3x, normally with a car full of either friends or ‘stuff’. After over a dozen visits in five years I’ve decided to buy a ‘bolt hole’ over there...walking & scrambling in the winter months, time on the waves when it warms up. Lending the place to friends during the ( too warm & busy for me) summer months
I’m leaning increasingly toward a Focus Active estate, but not ruled out the XC40 yet....my rental experiences with the former ( not Active) have been very positive.

>> Of course, want you really want for crossing continents is a bit of power, comfort
>> and decent handling. Throw in the requirement for a bit of space to carry stuff,
>> and a raised ride height for use at the destination and, well... ;)

Yes but where would you find one that is about three years old so has depreciated and barely even run in?
And where would I find the money to go towards buying my bolt hole ? Appreciate your advice Z but capital released pays for a reform on the property I’m looking at.
In a perfect world I’d keep an old Jimny/Duster/Panda out there for my mountain forays...but needs must.
Well, the Focus would almost certainly be the best of that selection for the long haul down and back, but the least suitable for use while you're there. A Panda or Jinmy would be the best when you get there, but a bit cramped for the long runs. A Duster with a roof box if necessary, would tick the money, space and off road capability boxes perfectly while still being big enough to cope with the long journeys.

Having said all that, a lifetime ago, I used to take my MK1 Panda to Switzerland for skiing trips without it seeming too hard. But I was in my early 20s I suppose.

The Italians are doing houses for €1...admittedly you have to commit to spending a bit on renovations, but the state pension could fund that ;)

www.italianfix.com/italy-giving-away-houses/

So keep the Porsche, get a project in Italy, drive down there instead and explore some new countryside :)

Or accept that what you’ll end up with is probably a Nissan Quashqai. Focus sized, jacked up ride height, space inside, proper auto and a level of reliability. Available cheaply and serviced everywhere. Pretty popular in Spain IIRC so easily fixed if needed. Maybe give the Renault engined ones a miss though...
>> Or accept that what you’ll end up with is probably a Nissan Quashqai.

Not a bad shout Peter. As some will be aware, we are pretty keen mountain bikers. Some of the venues we visit are accessed by fairly steep rough tracks. The Merc copes fine with almost all of them, if you take it steady, but there are are some where we take the Qashqai in preference because of its greater ground clearance. Never consciously wished for 4 wheel drive though, our 2WD Nissan is on Crossclimates, and the E is currently on full winters and neither has ever caused any concern even on the steepest of rough tracks and periodic snow/ice.

As you you infer, the Qashqai isn't a hair shirt choice either, the newer ones are very nicely appointed.

Might be wrong, but I think the autos are CVTs mind. Not sure how they are to drive, they may be fine, but I gather they're not to everyone's taste.

Edit - if you did get a Qq though LL, do be aware that the door mirrors can just randomly fall off ( allegedly ) ;-)
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Tue 22 Dec 20 at 16:22

>> Yes but where would you find one that is about three years old so has
>> depreciated and barely even run in?
>>

Like hens teeth I’d imagine. I mean who’d buy one and not use it then get rid just as it was at the hitting the lowest cost point on the ownership curve :p

All tongue in cheek of course :)

But... what colour was it again...? And how much are you looking for... ;)
Mmm, you might want to check up on the visa situation and the rules around non-EU investment in real estate.

Also bear in mind that legal residents in Spain are not permitted to keep foreign registered cars there.

All resolvable of course, but it might not be as easy as you think.

Given your two different requirements, why wouldn't you buy a local small Spanish car for banging around on tracks and a larger, older SUV for getting to & from Spain on the freeways?
 Volvo - V60 Cross Country. - Falkirk Bairn
>> check up on the visa situation

Maximum 90 days continuous residency in any of 27 EU states in any 6 mth period.

Will certainly put many home owners with property in say France & wanting to stay say 2 months in Spain/Canaries in the winter months.
Just to clarify, is that 90 days continuous within the EU, irrespective of how many different countries?

And it's not usual to use continuous and a timeframe. Are you sure it's not a total of 90 days in any 6 months?
I just looked, it appears to be a maximum of a total of 90 days in a rolling 180 day period.

i.e. stepping out of the EU for a day does not reset the clock.
A Spanish non-working residency visa is available if you can prove a minimum annual income of $36,000 EU

It will be valid for two years and automatically renewable provided that you have spent more than 183 days per year in Spain.

After 5 years you may apply for indefinite permanent residency which does allow you to work.

After 10 years you may apply for citizenship but Spain does not allow dual citizenship so you would have to renounce your previous nationality unless it is a Latin American country. They also require you to be fluent in Spanish.

Thank goodness we took back control.
Having walked most days with Spanish second home owners, of various nationalities, Irish, Scandinavian, Dutch, German, French, this has been quite a topic of conversation.
The 90 day in 180 rule has been in existence a long time. The Spanish have always turned a blind eye to it....many thousands of Brits would travel to Spain in October, returning home early April, spending almost 180 continuous days.

French friends in Spain are currently living under the radar. They have a home in Nantes, a villa in Spain, and drive out mid September, returning mid April. Obviously over 6 months....which makes them liable to Spanish tax rather than French.
At the moment, their new credit cards and road tax ( or maybe insurance ticket you display on the windscreen) are behind their lettre boite in France. They didn’t want them posting on by the providers as it creates a paper trail....he spent his career working for the French Foreign Office and is cursing the authorities who in future may check his passport coming & going into Spain.

Spanish residencia seems very complicated. I know of 4 people, who have owned second homes in Spain for 20 & 35 years respectively, who are giving it up. Other long term second home owners think the Spanish, and Portugese authorities, will continue to ignore the 90 in 180 ruling, as they have done for years. Most of my second home owning walking friends, of which I have many, drive out early September, fly back to the U.K. pre Christmas for 3 weeks, returning around New Year and stay until early May. The 90 in 180 rule hasn’t been enforced for decades. If ever.

Time will tell....in the meantime Ryanair just cancelled myself and friends flights back to Spain on 15th & 22nd January
Last edited by: legacylad on Tue 22 Dec 20 at 20:05
>> The 90 in 180 rule hasn’t been enforced for decades. If ever.
>>
...the 90 in 180 rule for the Schengen Zone doesn't apply to citizens of Schengen members. Neither, as a member of the EU, does it apply to the UK and Ireland (who are non-Schengen countries, but have special status, as part of EU treaties, which grant the same status).

The issue for the UK is that, once the transition period expires (31st Dec currently) and we finally leave the EU arrangements, then that status under the EU Treaty lapses, and we effectively become a "third country" under Schengen rules, and the 90 in 180 comes into force.

AIUI, it could be worse, since the UK will be allowed visa-less travel for that period, whereas most other countries citizens require a visa (covering the same duration).
>> Just to clarify, is that 90 days continuous within the EU, irrespective of how many
>> different countries?
>>
..being pedantic picky, I think the restriction is 90 days in any rolling 180 day period (visa free) in The Schengen Zone.

So, Switzerland and Norway (non EU but Schengen) are included, but not Croatia (EU but not Schengen).

As it is visa-free, there is presumably at least a theoretical chance of obtaining a (residential) visa, but such things are fraught with rather more difficulties than the current arrangements (soon to be disarrangements).

I have no doubt that money will still talk in some locations (Golden Passport, anyone?)
An investment visa in Spain is $500,000 EU. So buy a big house.
 Volvo - V60 Cross Country. - Boxsterboy
How about a Citroen Berlingo or Peugeot Rifter? Steve Cropley in Autocar rates them highly - very comfortable and more car-like than ever to drive (apparently). Available with manual or (proper) auto boxes and 'enormous' or 'even more enormous' body sizes.
Latest Forum Posts