Non-motoring > You'd recognise this bloke surely? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 22

You'd recognise this bloke surely? - Zero
How can someone this unmistakable simply fly out of Japan to Lebanon?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50952335
 You'd recognise this bloke surely? - zippy
All Europeans look the same to them! :-)

Mind you, the Japs are very efficient and have a 99% conviction rate in court which might make some think that trials are not entirely fair over there!?

I suspect that he got help from the Lebanese authorities.
 You'd recognise this bloke surely? - Robin O'Reliant
Apparently a few people were glad to see the back of him as they were worried about what might come out in the trial.
 You'd recognise this bloke surely? - Duncan

>> Mind you, the Japs are very efficient and have a 99% conviction rate in court
>> which might make some think that trials are not entirely fair over there!?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conviction_rate
 You'd recognise this bloke surely? - CGNorwich
Perhaps it the UK who are out of step with "only" 80%

I see Canada also has a 99% conviction rate. Is their justice unfair too?
 You'd recognise this bloke surely? - No FM2R
>>How can someone this unmistakable simply fly out of Japan to Lebanon?

If that's a serious question, then it is easy,

Have you never bumped into a close friend or relative and it has taken time to recognise them simply because you were not expecting them? Even when you have met famous people, have you always recognized them immediately even when out of context without an entourage?

Especially since his family is Lebanese so he probably has a Lebanese passport.

It is hardly likely that with the number of faces they deal with on a daily basis that they look at each person and think "Have I seen you in the news, in what context and were you banned from traveling?".

And that's assuming they used 'normal' routes. Chuck private planes and foreign Government planes into the equation and it gets even easier.

You'd think Facial Recognition would be effective, but I guess if it was they wouldn't have felt the need to take his passports.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 31 Dec 19 at 15:23
 You'd recognise this bloke surely? - sooty123
gulfnews.com/world/did-nissans-carlos-ghosn-flee-japan-in-a-musical-instrument-box-1.1577791981610

Early ideas about how it was done.
 You'd recognise this bloke surely? - henry k
Boxed clever ?
 You'd recognise this bloke surely? - R.P.
Musical Box...Wonder if it was a violin case (as in a fiddle)
 You'd recognise this bloke surely? - CGNorwich
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Tue 31 Dec 19 at 16:09
 You'd recognise this bloke surely? - BiggerBadderDave
Well, I'd be proud of him. It's amazing that someone with downs syndrome got to the top of Nissan.
 You'd recognise this bloke surely? - Duncan
Was it the "Ernest Saunders" version of Downs?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Saunders
 You'd recognise this bloke surely? - R.P.
More like "going down" syndrom
 You'd recognise this bloke surely? - tyrednemotional
>> gulfnews.com/world/did-nissans-carlos-ghosn-flee-japan-in-a-musical-instrument-box-1.1577791981610
>>
>> Early ideas about how it was done.
>>

...once on the fiddle, always on the fiddle.......
>> >> gulfnews.com/world/did-nissans-carlos-ghosn-flee-japan-in-a-musical-instrument-box-1.1577791981610
>> >>
>> >> Early ideas about how it was done.
>> >>
>>
>> ...once on the fiddle, always on the fiddle.......

No need to make a song and dance about it.
 You'd recognise this bloke surely? - tyrednemotional
...symphony, symphony; they've all got it symphony in for me...
 You'd recognise this bloke surely? - sherlock47
If he was flying in a private jet, i guess that airside access for VIPs is not so heavily controlled. A friend who worked as an executive chauffeur has told me stories about airside access for collection/delivery of VIPs at the 'other' london airports. Worryingly lax. If the aircraft is flying an internal flight does immigration or exit police even get involved?
 You'd recognise this bloke surely? - No FM2R
>>If he was flying in a private jet, i guess that airside access for VIPs is not so heavily controlled.

Not that I am any kind of VIP, but that wouldn't be my experience flying from a major or "official" international airport. Very heavily controlled. And, of course, no safety in numbers.

I guess outside the main hubs it may well be different.
 You'd recognise this bloke surely? - James Loveless
This is what the Guardian is saying:

"Carlos Ghosn’s flight from criminal charges in Japan to Lebanon was aided by Lebanese state officials who were instructed by political leaders to smooth his arrival...

"[Ghosn's] statement did not give details of his escape route or how he evaded Japanese authorities, and his representatives declined to comment further. The Lebanese TV news channel MTV reported that Ghosn hid in a musical instruments case before flying to Istanbul and then on to Beirut.

"His lawyers were still in possession of three of his passports on Tuesday, one of his lawyers, Junichiro Hironaka, told reporters. However, Reuters reported that senior Lebanese foreign ministry sources said Ghosn had entered Lebanon legally on a French passport and used his Lebanese ID with normal security procedures."
 You'd recognise this bloke surely? - sooty123
>> If he was flying in a private jet, i guess that airside access for VIPs
>> is not so heavily controlled.

My experience is that private jet side of stuff isn't particularly well secured no where as near as when you're a normal punter in a regular terminal building.

But I would imagine the lebenese gov gave their blessing before he set off in any case.
 You'd recognise this bloke surely? - legacylad
No more popping out t’local sushi takeaway for him then
>> No more popping out t’local sushi takeaway for him then

Hope he likes a doner,
Interesting background article on the whole affair

www.bbc.co.uk/news/extra/Bi5xGc7SIj/the_fall_of_the_god_of_cars
Latest Forum Posts