Motoring Discussion > Insurance query Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 8

Insurance query - Bobby
On behalf of a local neighbour......

Car crashed through brick wall in front garden on Hogmonay. Police came and have got the driver.

1. Car was the driver's father's car.
2. Driver was under the influence of something or other as could hardly stand.
3. Driver was lifted by the police.
4. The father arrived on scene, kicked off, and he was also lifted by police.
5. Unsure at this stage as to whether son had permission to drive car or was on the car insurance.

Question - can the householder get the wall rebuilt via the insurer of the car? Does it cover the car if it driver did not have permission to drive?

If so, how can householder find out the insurance company details?
 Insurance query - tyrednemotional
Unless they're now caught up in the data protection act, then the police should be able to give some details. (having caused 3rd-party damage, it is an offence not to exchange details, so a name and address should be available).

As for the rest, the following link is the best source of "official" advice

www.mib.org.uk/making-a-claim/claiming-against-an-uninsured-driver/

(Though if he was insured to drive, then a claim should be (reasonably) straightforward).

Insurance query - smokie
I'd be just reporting it to my house insurers and let them sort out who pays. If you haven't reported it promptly they may later ask why...

When I used to watch those police programmes it amused me that the car owner often got the choice if owning up to having given permission to someone to drive knowing that they were drunk/uninsured/under-age, or they had to say the car had been stolen.
 Insurance query - Zero

>> When I used to watch those police programmes it amused me that the car owner
>> often got the choice if owning up to having given permission to someone to drive
>> knowing that they were drunk/uninsured/under-age, or they had to say the car had been stolen.

Yeah, the old Kobayashi Maru
 Insurance query - sooty123
When I was in similar circumstances, I just had to wait out for the police to let me know. They did eventually.
 Insurance query - legacylad
Slight thread drift.....if you are driving your own vehicle, fully insured, but crash it causing substantial damage to said vehicle, police attend, prosecuted for being drunk, banned, would your insurer pay out ?
And what happens if you’ve leased the car, write it off whilst under the influence of drink/drugs.
 Insurance query - tyrednemotional
Under RTA provisions, third-party claims would be paid by the insurance company, but it is very unlikely that any first-party claim would be.

(and you might well get pursued by the insurance company for the amount paid out third-party).
 Insurance query - Falkirk Bairn
3rd parties will have their car, wall etc fixed

Some comp policies have the comp cover cancelled if the driver is over dd limit / drugs etc

If your car is on HP / PCP / Bank loan you are still liable for the payments
 Insurance query - Fullchat
The wall is a legitimate 3rd party claim.

The passing of insurance details by the Officer In the Case was always something of a mute point.
Some believed that there were Data Protection issues and would not facilitate those details. I argued that you were only facilitating what the law required in respect of exchanging details.
The alternative to not facilitating details was to advise to send a request in writing to the relevant Collision Records Department who, for a fee, would provide those details. This is what insurance companies were required to do. So whats the difference, Data Protection wise, between a Police Officer doing it and a department doing it for a fee?? I don't see one.

As regards permission to drive. Its a catch 22 situation. If you say you gave your permission then then you leave yourself open to offences of say 'Permit No Insurance'. The alternative is that you didn't give permission then the vehicle was Taken Without the Owners Consent (TWOC'd). This leads to a whole load of grief and a criminal conviction. So no matter how mad you maybe at your child taking your car would you want them to have a criminal conviction with all that can entail further down the line.

If the Police wont provide information, and in any event. I would be sending a request off to DVLA to provide keeper details. This is a legitimate request and is only a few quid. I would then be sending a letter to the registered keeper requesting insurance details under Sec 154 of the Road
Traffic Act. They have to provide them within a reasonable time (2 weeks).

Having said all that the owner of the properties insurance company should deal with issues but it seems these days they want spoon feeding with information.

If the vehicles insurance company are playing hard ball this is also a legitimate claim against the Motor Insurers Bureau as the driver has been identified. If they had not the MIB would not entertain a damage only claim.

Insurers are obliged to honour 3rd party claims but can wriggle out of 1st party if they can find something that does not meet their Terms and Conditions

Last edited by: Fullchat on Fri 3 Jan 20 at 12:44
Latest Forum Posts