Non-motoring > Central Heating Tank Woes. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 13

Central Heating Tank Woes. - R.P.
When we moved here in May 2017 the central heating was past its best - basically unrepairable according to a local guy who came to service it. There was major corrosion on it and it was not holding pressure. He never charged for the service on the basis of giving a price for a replacement boiler. Anyway time goes on and more prices sought from local contractors, none of them showed up despite the promises. Next step was to obtain a price from a national company, the salesman/surveyor turned up and huffed and puffed and gave a totally unrealistic price. I then got in touch with a firm recommended by Boilerjuice - No Hassle Boilers. Very good service, nice new Grant boiler with a good warranty at a good price and they lived up to their name......fast forward to last July when I got an oil delivery, the tanker driver mentioned that there was evidence of cracking on the tank - this was a massive 2.4k litre tank of unknown age (turned out to be 18 years old) - it wasn't bunded and was at risk of failing. More phone calls and in fairness a national (Wales) firm turned up, with much sucking of teeth gave us a quote (this was in September). The evening before he arrived I noticed an oil stain on the driveway where the underground supply pipe ran...Turned the oil off and contacted the home insurance company and they sent an 'expert" to have a look. There was some digging around the staining and a small plume of oil discovered. We were away for a week on holiday. Day we came back local contractors turned up to install a temporary line. Asked them for a quote for a new tank, they measured up and a quote was expected. Waited a couple of weeks and phoned them, they'd lost the measurements it appears so they came straight back to re-measure.

Tail end of November insurance company arranged for repair work to the pipe to be undertaken...this involved removing contaminated soil and replacing the pipe all of which was done very tidily...in the meantime contacted a company via Boilerjuice for another attempt at a quote. Local guy contacted me - photos of the existing installation were sent to him, failed to show up to measure uo and asses the job, so I activated the original quote. They turned up a week later and two of them spent the day removing the old tank (having first pumped out 1200 litres of fuel oil) and installing the new one...great job and I would recommend their work any to anyone....so now we have a brand new installation which is totally complaint with the complex regulations

But why oh why don't people want work ?
 Messages Author Date
 Central Heating Tank Woes. new R.P. 6 Jan 20 11:20
 Central Heating Tank Woes. new Robin O'Reliant 6 Jan 20 11:31
 Central Heating Tank Woes. new R.P. 6 Jan 20 17:02
 Central Heating Tank Woes. new Fullchat 6 Jan 20 11:32
 Central Heating Tank Woes. new CGNorwich 6 Jan 20 12:06
 Central Heating Tank Woes. new BiggerBadderDave 6 Jan 20 14:45
 Central Heating Tank Woes. new Robin O'Reliant 6 Jan 20 17:23
 Central Heating Tank Woes. new R.P. 6 Jan 20 17:33
 Central Heating Tank Woes. new bathtub tom 6 Jan 20 17:37
 Central Heating Tank Woes. new Bobby 7 Jan 20 17:01