Non-motoring > Probate question Legal Questions
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 15

Probate question - Terry
I thought there was a very small limit under which no probate was needed. However in your case this may depend on whether the property is jointly owned, or by your FiL alone.

The estate may also be complicated if part of the property has been let - the executor may have to complete income tax returns for the estate in respect of any income. You will also need to agree any final tax due by your FiL. You need to consider the value of the property - being blunt it will form part of the ex-MiL estate and she may not be around for ever. It may also need to be sold if Ex were to suggest she move into a nursing home to cover the fees.

You can personally get probate if you want - I did it for both my parents. But bear in mind that (a) a solicitor should be familiar with all the forms and processes, and (b) any complexities will be breaking new ground if Ex or you try to do it. The responsibility that goes with being an executor even with a will and a single beneficiary may not be trivial.

As some have suggested you would do well to document all the assets and complexities so that if you approach professionals it should reduce their costs and they can quote a fairly firm price. Be clear what the price includes - probate fees, property valuation costs etc.
 Messages Author Date
 Probate question new legacylad 12 Jan 20 16:10
 Probate question new Bromptonaut 12 Jan 20 16:19
 Probate question new Bromptonaut 12 Jan 20 16:21
 Probate question new zippy 12 Jan 20 16:36
 Probate question new No FM2R 12 Jan 20 16:51
 Probate question new Bromptonaut 12 Jan 20 17:20
 Probate question new henry k 12 Jan 20 17:25
 Probate question new Zero 12 Jan 20 16:51
 Probate question new Bromptonaut 12 Jan 20 17:06
 Probate question new legacylad 12 Jan 20 17:14
 Probate question new Bromptonaut 12 Jan 20 17:40