Motoring Discussion > Traffic to be banned.... Computing Issues
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 55

Traffic to be banned.... - No FM2R
...or at least seriously disrupted in Birmingham?

www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-birmingham-51088499
 Traffic to be banned.... - tyrednemotional
I've thought for a long time that people ought to banned from Birmingham...

Mike Harding's comment "If the world had piles, that's where they'd be" resonates.
 Traffic to be banned.... - Bromptonaut
>> Mike Harding's comment "If the world had piles, that's where they'd be" resonates.

I always think if Yorkshire had piles they'd be at Pudsey.
If God was going to give the world an enema he'd stick the tube in Birmingham for sure.
 Traffic to be banned.... - R.P.
Sold my bike to a guy in Pudsey...it seemed to shiver when I rode it to its new owner.
 Traffic to be banned.... - legacylad
One of my school mates lived in Pudsey. We had half days Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, and when not involved in sport often went to ‘Cider Annies’ down by the Gib ( Gibraltar Mills) close to Black Carr Woods. She was an old lady who ran a small shop and off licence, kept chickens, and we used to sit inside drinking cider, which may have been alcohol free...I was around 14yo at the time. She also sold us cigs.
There was also an early branch of the Aagrah restaurant chain in Pudsey. I used to frequent the original in Shipley, and the one in a Skipton. Both have now moved to far larger premises, neither of which I’ve visited.
 Traffic to be banned.... - Crankcase
We went to Birmingham just before Christmas by coach. Never been before. We liked it a lot, but it was just the Christmas German Market, the brilliant museum, the Edwardian Tea rooms and Selfridges really, with an explore of the fantastic library too.

Best thing for me was the sculpture on the top floor of Selfridges. It's a giant shoe made entirely of saucepans.

Was glad someone else was driving though.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Tue 14 Jan 20 at 07:15
Had four trips (training) with Victim Support in 2015 - travelled by train. Nice city, the German Market was good. Some lovely old buildings there. Needs fewer cars though, just like any city. Ban them all ! :-).
 Traffic to be banned.... - MD
>> >> Mike Harding's comment "If the world had piles, that's where they'd be" resonates.
>>
>> I always think if Yorkshire had piles they'd be at Pudsey.
>>
Bear with me.
 Traffic to be banned.... - BiggerBadderDave
"people ought to banned from Birmingham"

A bit strong, that word - banned. "Remind me" to never drive further north than Luton, would suffice. I'll comply.
 Traffic to be banned.... - smokie
Daughter is a mental health nurse in the community and her patch is central Birmingham. Wonder if she'll get an exemption? It would severely impact her productivity if she had to use public transport.
Last edited by: smokie on Tue 14 Jan 20 at 23:55
 Traffic to be banned.... - Zero
>> Daughter is a mental health nurse in the community
Please use the title "community mental health nurse" . The way you describe her sounds like she has escaped an institution and is running amok.
 Traffic to be banned.... - CGNorwich
www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles/nursing/roles-nursing/mental-health-nurse?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI452j0LSF5wIVh6ztCh15oAkzEAAYASAAEgLfqPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
I think we know what a mental health nurse is.
 Traffic to be banned.... - CGNorwich
Indeed and the title is the correct one and does not carry the meaning you imply.
I have a very good friend who was a community mental health nurse, I am married to an ex community childrens nurse, I was implying nothing I was being jocular so I dont need lecturing in community care workers titles thank you very much.

Get a life.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 15 Jan 20 at 12:22
>> "Remind me" to never drive further north than
>> Luton, would suffice. I'll comply.
>>

...strange that you find Luton the limit of acceptability....
I was forced to work in Birmingham sometime in the late 70's (before the M40 & M42) I followed the road signs to the centre, and there they stopped, there were no signs telling you how to leave.
 Traffic to be banned.... - Ambo
There are some remarkably remote-seeming, quiet, almost rural canals in the Birmingham urban area, but I would avoid mooring up under the Gravelly Hill Interchange.
>> There are some remarkably remote-seeming, quiet, almost rural canals in the Birmingham urban area

Been on a very nice bike ride along the canal network - a so called Origami Ride run by a folding bike club. We stopped for a look see under Spaghetti Junction. Interesting perspective if you've only seen it from M6 /A38M before but we didn't linger.
 Traffic to be banned.... - Netsur
Must have been a tad noisy?
Brum..Brum nosies
 Traffic to be banned.... - Duncan

>> Been on a very nice bike ride along the canal network - a so called
>> Origami Ride run by a folding bike club.

I have been toying with the idea of an electric Brompton.

Any thoughts?
 Traffic to be banned.... - Runfer D'Hills
Yeah, do they do folding batteries?
:-p
>> Yeah, do they do folding batteries?
>> :-p

Must do

e-gobike.co.uk/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA04XxBRD5ARIsAGFygj_NxSXKS1xY3QFY6Y32i6iUYT28rRlQfTaxeRYlvGUEozLQWALGWaIaAt_CEALw_wcB

Actually they look very interesting, tho they are the hub driven type rather than the better crank driven type E bike. I guess thats too tricky for a fold up.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 17 Jan 20 at 09:49
For anybody who wants to know exactly what Duncan is asking about:

www.brompton.com/bikes/brompton-electric

No personal experience and while I've observed odd one in street I don't think I've seen one on a club ride where I could talk to the rider. There have previously been conversions of which the one by Kinetics was best known. There are one or two guys regularly on the Origami rides* who've got that or done a 'home build. These have a 'throttle' rather than the sophisticated torque sensor on the real thing.

NB Brompton do not offer an electric conversion.

It came out about the time we were sorting out Mrs B's Brompton in summer 2018. The demonstrator model at Brompton Junction in Covent Garden was attracting keen interest and had several outings in spite of England having a World Cup match on at time.

As of now I'm perfectly happy pedalling as I've always done. The cycle bit of my commute is only around a mile with no serious gradients. I'm comfortable doing the 20-30 miles of an Origami or London Brompton Club ride. These days I'd regard 50 miles as limit for a day and at that level I'd be stretching battery life on the electric.

If my needs change I'd certainly have the E-Brompton on my list. The fold is exactly same as the pedal versions and is streets ahead of anything else. The only other models that get near are a few Dahon/Tern machines.

There's a pretty positive review by Cycling UK (ie the CTC) here:

www.cyclinguk.org/cycle-magazine/bike-test-brompton-electric-e-bike

They describe it as an electric folding bike whereas most/all rivals are electric bikes that fold which is probably as good a summation as you'll get.

*www.foldsoc.co.uk/origami/
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 17 Jan 20 at 10:45
Electric mountain bikes are becoming increasingly popular. I'm still in the "that's cheating" camp I suppose, but I guess come the day I can't get up a hill without assistance I may relent on the basis that it would allow me to continue with my favourite hobby for a while longer.
>>. I'm still in the "that's cheating" camp

That's my gut feeling for now too. May be different in 10 years time when I'm 70.
>> >>. I'm still in the "that's cheating" camp
>>
>> That's my gut feeling for now too. May be different in 10 years time when
>> I'm 70.

I think the "cheating" slur is too silly for words. Who is being cheated of what and by whom?

I reached 70 fifteen years ago, and I have had an electric bike for four years now. This one tinyurl.com/ry84lb6 but the earlier, now superseded model. It gets me out a number of days a week, and I enjoy it.

If I didn't have the electric bike, I would have to give up cycling altogether.

My bike is a large heavy thing, quite difficult to get into the back of my estate car, I thought an electric folder would give me a bit more flexibility.
>> I think the "cheating" slur is too silly for words. Who is being cheated of
>> what and by whom?

Duncan,

Genuinely sorry for any upset. Any perceived cheating is in the battle between bike and friction/wind/gravity.

I don't think you were even in my mind when I made the comment. It was a bit of banter between Runfer, ROR and myself. Clear from posts here and on HJ down years that we've raced, toured or mountain biked from our youth.

Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 17 Jan 20 at 17:44
 Traffic to be banned.... - Robin O'Reliant
Halfords are reporting that 20% of all it's bike sales now are made up of e-bikes. Companies like major online cycle retailer Ribble are selling own brand e-bikes that are hard to tell apart from non electric bikes and motors are already available that fit inside a conventional frame. The UCI are using scanners to detect hidden motors in race bikes and more that one rider has been caught using them.

I'm now at the age where the hills seem longer and steeper and will consider one in the future.
Yes, I guess I may have to at some point. But, for now anyway, getting on my bike and pushing myself is a great antidote to sitting in a car or behind a desk the rest of the time. I swim most nights too for the same reason. Not just for the pleasure of the activities, but to resist seizing up for as long as possible!
>> Yes, I guess I may have to at some point. But, for now anyway, getting
>> on my bike and pushing myself is a great antidote to sitting in a car
>> or behind a desk the rest of the time. I swim most nights too for
>> the same reason. Not just for the pleasure of the activities, but to resist seizing
>> up for as long as possible!
>>

I believe I'm a few years ahead of you Runfer (67), and just as your body develops very rapidly in a few short years during your early teens the decline accelerates noticeably at a certain age. It varies from person to person of course, and while 50 hilly miles is a distance I still find very doable I am fully aware that my physical prowess is well below what it was even five years ago, let alone twenty five.

Ageing is a cruel trick by mother nature, she must really hate us.
I'm 61 Robin. What I do find is that when I'm able to take regular excercise, I'm by and large fine, no of course, not as fit as I once was, but not too bad.

The main difference now is that if circumstances dictate that I don't, or can't get any excercise for even a short period of 3-4 days, my fitness level drops dramatically and it can take a week or two to get back to what I regard as "normal".

I wouldn't regard myself as any kind of fanatic in these matters, but I try to fit in a five mile dog walk most days and a 1000m swim most nights, plus at least a half day at the weekend on the bike.

Like many who did a lot of sport in their younger years, I'm ironically, and probably resultantly, a bit crocked in places and if I don't keep everything moving it all seems to grind to a halt way too quickly these days !

Oh, and falling off hurts way more !

;-)
>>
>>
>> Oh, and falling off hurts way more !
>>
>> ;-)
>>

Sleeping in an awkward position put my neck out for a couple of days this week and a violent sneeze as I was getting out of armchair a couple of years ago resulted in having to go in for a hernia repair!
>> Sleeping in an awkward position put my neck out for a couple of days thisweek and a violent sneeze as I was getting out of armchair a couple of years ago resulted in having to go in for a hernia repair!

Have another go at quitting the fags Robin, you'll feel tons better. I was on 20 Marlboro Reds a day for decades, but once I'd got them out of my life I felt my fitness improve dramatically. I hadn't particularly noticed any ill effects but the difference was hugely noticeable.

Actually, I've got to a stage now where I can have a ( very ) occasional smoke and enjoy it without having to worry about getting into the habit again. ( I had two cigs in 2019 and haven't had one this year yet )

I know it's hard, I tried and failed countless times to stop. But one day, I was about to light one and looked at it and decided that I was stronger than that little white tube.
...it's 8 years now since our first e-Bike purchase.

I've now bought a second, but SWMBO's original is still going strong. (and interestingly, the battery still seems to be A-OK with no sign of her potential 70+ mile range dropping off).

One of the best decisions we made.

>> I've now bought a second, but SWMBO's original is still going strong. (and interestingly, the
>> battery still seems to be A-OK with no sign of her potential 70+ mile range
>> dropping off).

Which bikes have you bought?
...eight years ago there were far fewer e-bikes available, and a dearth of UK dealers.

I bought a pair of Kalkhoff bikes from the importer after testing three or four makes. They just felt "right" from the off, and importantly for our pattern of use (with the motorhome) they had batteries that were high-capacity in those days (540Wh), and are still competitive today, meaning either good range, or two separate days' use without recharge.

Both have been much used, but I fancied a change, and have the differently styled Haibike Xduro Trekking 5.0. Its gearing and ride suit me slightly better than the original.
"I'm still in the "that's cheating" camp"

Perhaps but my wife wants to cycle to work in Spring but the distance and gradients (and sweating) rule it out. A bit of assistance might make it possible. And fun.
Fair enough Dave, no one wants a sweaty wife !
;-)
...well, not your own, anyway....

;-)
I think there are two types of cyclist in the world.

Those who cycle 45 degrees, shoulders forward, using their weight to pump the pedals and getting the most of the exercise.

And there is my wife who sits perfectly erect, never leaving the seat, staring over her huge wicker basket, looking left and right at the scenery, and gives up on gentle gradient having no idea what the gears do.
>> And there is my wife who sits perfectly erect, never leaving the seat, staring over
>> her huge wicker basket, looking left and right at the scenery, and gives up on
>> gentle gradient having no idea what the gears do.

That's the Continental approach though they know how to use gears. See Holland or Denmark.
Funnily enough, unlike on a road bike where you might get up out of the saddle to climb, it's really important to stay on it on a mountain bike when climbing on a loose surface, or your back wheel can spin out.

There's a technique known as "nosing" where you keep a bit of weight on the nose of the saddle when climbing on a loose surface while still being forward enough on the bike to stop the front wheel lifting. Hurts mind you. ;-)
 Traffic to be banned.... - Haywain
I've had an electric bike for about 18 months (I'm 70) and I love it - it was like suddenly growing an extra set of muscles. It's just over 2 miles into town, but the return trip is a slow uphill drag; I sadistically enjoy sticking it into 'turbo' and blasting past surprised youths as they stand and sway on their pedals.

Of course, if it's exercise that you want and you aren't in a hurry, you can switch to a lower level of assistance or turn the motor off altogether.
"you can switch to a lower level of assistance"

Actually I do that, I hold the brakes for a few hundred metres from time to time. Around where we cycle there are very few gradients, actually, none at all that I can think of and I wonder if I'm doing any exercise at all.
Halfords e bikes now start at £398 for a small wheel commuter / shopper and in total they sell five models for under £500 and that includes standard size bikes. Production is small scale compared to conventional cycles at present, but growing rapidly so costs are likely to fall even more. I think e bikes are the future of utility cycling in this country and the day will come when sales outnumber those of pedal only bikes.

Those of us who like cycling for it's own sake are a small minority, even with the boom of the last eight years. For most, cycling is too much hard work as a regular form of transport and hills and distances are a pain rather than a challenge.
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Fri 17 Jan 20 at 19:45
Other experienced riders will know this, even if only subliminally, anyone can climb the steepest, longest, or most challenging of hills on a bike with the right technique, even if their fitness levels are not the best.

It requires three things to synchronise. Breathing rate, heart rate and pedal cadence.

So, if you can get your heart rate to around or a little above resting, breath at exactly the same rate and time your pedal strokes ( by selecting the right gear ) to mirror those rhythms you can keep going pretty indefinitely no mater what angle the surface you're on on is at.

It's astonishingly obvious once you've tried it, but I guess if no one has ever pointed it out to you before it isn't !

Get those three key elements in synch and it all becomes relatively effortless.

To practice the trick, try counting your pedal strokes ( at about 60-80 a minute, breathe on the strokes and try to "listen" to your heartbeats.
"Matter" ;-)
A former professional rider once told me how he got up even the steepest hills. Put all the effort into one leg for three pedal strokes while trailing the other one, then swap over and alternate all the way to the top. It does work too.
Do you use clips Robin? I don't as it happens, prefer flats. I like to know I can get off and clear of the bike in a hurry when circumstances dictate!

Downside of course is that when you're jumping it's harder to keep your feet in contact with the pedals.

But of course clips would allow an amount of power to be transmitted on the upstroke.

I'll try your mate's technique tomorrow, but my left knee is a bit permanently knackered so it might not work so well for me.
I've used clipless pedals since they first appeared in the mid eighties and prior to that I used toeclips and straps with shoe plates. People complain about "Clipless moments" when they first use them when they can't get their foot out and topple over, but they make the mistake of trying to pull the foot upwards as they unclip - the very thing the system is designed to prevent. As long as you remember to only twist your foot sideway with no upward pressure they are not a problem and I've never had a problem releasing in time.

Prior to that with the toe clips all racing cyclists had a metal plate tacked to the sole of the shoe with a slot in it which fitted over the rear pedal cage. Setting off you engaged the slot on the pedal and then pulled the toe strap tight to fix your foot firmly in, and before stopping reached down and flicked the quick release on the strap to free your foot. It was something you did out of habit and I never remember anyone falling off because they forgot, though to the uninitiated it appears lethally dangerous!

I could not ride a bike with my feet loose on the pedals, but most people do so it's just what you're used to I guess. Clipless pedals are fairly cheap and if you use MTB pedals many are dual sided so you can ride the flat unclipped side while you are getting used to them. They are well worth a try, it does make a big difference.
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Sat 18 Jan 20 at 12:52
Used steel clips and leather straps from around 77 when I got my first drop bar etc bike. The metal plate Robin mentions (cleats?) were not something I bothered with but a lot of others in hosteling group had cycling shoes with that feature. I preferred something that was a bit more comfortable for those bits of touring where I was off the bike. Madison did a touring shoe that looked and fitted like a trainer but had a smoother sole with a bit of extra stiffness.

As Robin says the action to flip pedal with toe to bring clip to top then inserting foot and tightening strap soon becomes a reflex as does releasing for a planned stop. In traffic I'd keep the straps a bit looser for easier stopping and in case I parted company with bike.

Tried clipless on the Galaxy tourer and there was certainly a gain in efficiency. Had a couple of clipless moments and several near misses. Having broken neck of my femur in a bike tumble (albeit not clip related) I'm probably over cautious. The clipless falls both happened when a graunched change jammed the transmission for a moment on a climb. Obviously same could happen with clips but risk of not getting my foot out is a bit less. Mind you I fell off with those too - shoe lace caught in pedal.

Some people ride Bromptons with clipless pedals but for me it's an urban bike I can ride in work clothes and ordinary shoes. The standard folding pedal also makes it easier to stow/store.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 18 Jan 20 at 15:01
>>Used steel clips and leather straps from around 77

10 years older than HJ and using leather straps since you were 77. You truly are an example to us all.
>>The metal plate Robin mentions (cleats?) were not something I bothered with
>> but a lot of others in hosteling group had cycling shoes with that feature. I
>> preferred something that was a bit more comfortable for those bits of touring where I
>> was off the bike. Madison did a touring shoe that looked and fitted like a
>> trainer but had a smoother sole with a bit of extra stiffness.

I have Shimano Mountain bike shoes with cleats and double sided pedals like these, if memory serves bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/deore-t6000/PD-M324.html it gives clip (clipless) one side and a plain pedal the other side.

I have only once had a problem unclipping in time, and that was when a car driver reneged after initially waving me across a road.
Last edited by: Duncan on Sat 18 Jan 20 at 21:35
Latest Forum Posts