Non-motoring > Schofield says he's gay Computing Issues
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 50

Schofield says he's gay - No FM2R
I'm not really sure what I think about this. Mostly I think I don't care one way or another.

But must be hard for his family; mostly the wife, I would have thought. But one would assume that she has known for some time?

My Grandmother, God rest her soul, would be having conniptions.

www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-51414010
 Schofield says he's gay - tyrednemotional

>>
>> My Grandmother, God rest her soul, would be having conniptions.
>>
...Schofield fan, was she?....

;-)
>> >> My Grandmother, God rest her soul, would be having conniptions.
>> >>
>> ...Schofield fan, was she?....
>>
>> ;-)
>>

I'm pretty sure she went from Graham Kerr to Schofield with not much in between.
 Schofield says he's gay - CGNorwich
Isn't everybody gay now? I get that impression from watching TV dramas.
 Schofield says he's gay - zippy
At least he's being honest with himself.

A friend of mine came out as gay many years ago.

She was having an awful time fitting in to the norms of society, boyfriends, husband etc.

She came out, started dating girls and has now married a great lass and is a totally different very happy person.

She's causing no harm to anyone and is now very happy.

>>She's causing no harm to anyone

That's the thing, why do people care so much?

In the case of men they seem to associate homosexuality with pedophilia - which is pretty sad.

One of my very few close friends is gay. Has been out for a gazillion years, long before it was fashionable. His stories of how he has been treated at times, mostly in the UK it must be said, are horrendous.
 Schofield says he's gay - Bromptonaut
>> She came out, started dating girls and has now married a great lass and is
>> a totally different very happy person.

qv Layla Moran (although she's pansexual).
 Schofield says he's gay - bathtub tom
>> Isn't everybody gay now? I get that impression from watching TV dramas.

He was a children's entertainer and a TV presenter, what's so surprising? Wasn't he having a bit of a spat with a co-presenter - did he jump or was he pushed?

I wonder who'll be next?
>>
>> I wonder who'll be next?
>>

....Prince Andrew....

(You heard it here first)

;-)
 Schofield says he's gay - R.P.
As it happens, I once knew a bloke who worked for him.
 Schofield says he's gay - Robin O'Reliant
>> But must be hard for his family; mostly the wife, I would have thought. But
>> one would assume that she has known for some time?

No more difficult than if he'd walked out for another woman. His family did know and are supporting him so they must have known for some time and accepted it. It is quite probable that his relationship with his wife had morphed into a brother/sister type relationship some time ago.

I would be surprised if coming out was their choice at least right now. More than likely one of the tabloids were looking for fresh victims whose lives they could destroy (Hopefully to suicide) and as Harry & Meg had run their course for the moment at least the Schofield's number came up.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 7 Feb 20 at 18:38
 Schofield says he's gay - Zero
Strikes me as a bit "me too" he says he couldn't consider a relationship with a man. At the end of the day Gordon the Gopher will be horrified.
>>At the end of the day Gordon the Gopher will be horrified.

There's a joke there which I shall be mature enough to avoid.
>> >>At the end of the day Gordon the Gopher will be horrified.
>>
>> There's a joke there which I shall be mature enough to avoid.

I was hoping to lure you into a entirely not mature comment
I should think you;re probably correct.

As an aside, did you hear Eamonn Holmes' on air comment?

"I always wondered, it's always been one of life's great imponderables, why Steph and Dan (their partners) didn't mind you two sitting in a hot tub together".

Slightly awkward moment.
>> I should think you;re probably correct.
>>
>> As an aside, did you hear Eamonn Holmes' on air comment?
>>
>> "I always wondered, it's always been one of life's great imponderables, why Steph and Dan
>> (their partners) didn't mind you two sitting in a hot tub together".

I didn't 'get' that until somebody posted a link on Facebook to a newspaper's coverage.

Holmes's comment is about Phillip and he's female co-star Hollie being in hot tub together and their respective spouses being not bothered.
>> I would be surprised if coming out was their choice at least right now.

A FAcebook friend has shared a (disgracefully homophobic) video from You Tube suggesting PS had an affair with a colleague and was about to be 'exposed'.

Schofield says he's gay - sooty123
I can't say I follow tv celebrity's private lives but I was genuinely more surprised to find out today he is married to a woman and has children than to find out he had announced he was gay. I had always assumed he was he in a confirmed bachelor sort of a way.
 Schofield says he's gay - VxFan
Pah!

I can remember him coming out as being Grey.
You're right, and as I recall he made a bit of a pantomime about that as well.
>> You're right, and as I recall he made a bit of a pantomime about that
>> as well.
>>

....all together now. Oh no he didn't!......
 Schofield says he's gay - Timeonmyhands
>> >> You're right, and as I recall he made a bit of a pantomime about
>> that
>> >> as well.
>> >>
>>
>> ....all together now. Oh no he didn't!......
>>
He's behind you, Ooh Err Missus.
>> I can't say I follow tv celebrity's private lives but I was genuinely more surprised
>> to find out today he is married to a woman and has children than to
>> find out he had announced he was gay.

Crispin Blunt, Tory MP for Reigate, came out as gay after marriage, family etc. I've known personally of at least one woman who left her husband for a woman. She commented that, post change, she actually felt welcomed and needed when she got in from work.

Nigh on fifty years ago my parents were friendly with a local bank manager and his wife. He was ten or so years younger and Mum had known him as a child in same mining community hence the connection. Seemed very much the settled family. Charming man with a newish Volvo, a nice house on a very smart estate together with devoted (and rather nice looking) wife plus two children.

At some point Mum twigged that she saw him out and about by a local park and its public conveniences when she drove past far more often than could be explained by coincidence......

He was apparently well known for 'cottaging' and was probably lucky not to be booked. The bank knew of his proclivities and apparently ensured young male staffers were sent to other local branches.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 7 Feb 20 at 20:15
 Schofield says he's gay - legacylad
Volvo eh.
>> Volvo eh.

We're talking 1972. A 144 was a middle class badge.
 Schofield says he's gay - legacylad
I once had a Volvo 240 DL estate as a company vehicle. I was in my late 20s, my own business, and preferred it to a van.
The business wasn’t grave robbing or antiques.
Crispin Blunt spoke very well on the matter on the World at One today.
>> Crispin Blunt spoke very well on the matter on the World at One today.

I think his local party gave him a very rough ride over his 'coming out'.
I can imagine.
 Schofield says he's gay - Dulwich Estate II
Him being gay bothers me not one jot.

However, it's a tad irritating that more than one media report tells us he was 'brave'.

This 'brave' man deceived his wife and family for what, maybe 20+ years and he's described as brave. I've a few choice words I could use, but brave wouldn't be one of them.
>>

>>
>> This 'brave' man deceived his wife and family for what, maybe 20+ years and he's
>> described as brave. I've a few choice words I could use, but brave wouldn't be
>> one of them.
>>
How do you know he deceived them? His wife and daughters have publicly supported him so maybe they've known for years and accepted it. People's marital arrangements vary enormously and what seems strange to us is perfectly normal to many others.
>>How do you know he deceived them?

I don't. However I did wonder.

Listening carefully to his interview I would take it that he told his wife fairly recently and they told the daughters together, also recently and he then went and told his Mother a week ago.

It also appeared that they were hurt, found it difficult but were supportive. It also implied that they were finding it difficult.

I also suspect that from the way they spoke he told Holly Willoughby before he told his wife. One might think that subject would come up with his wife after the interview.

I very much took it that he had deceived his wife and the way he was speaking about future/possible relationships with men was also a little bit strange. something was not being said.

He was clearly threatened from somewhere, be that media, an acquaintance of whatever.

I should think their seperation will be announced when the dust has died down.

As I say, I don't know. But listening carefully made me think the above.
 Schofield says he's gay - Bobby
This confuses me and before posting this, please don't accuse me of discrimination of any kind.

I'm a heterosexual male, married for 29 years, two kids (and a dog). At no point have I ever had sexual feelings for other guys.

I have friends who are gay, both males and females. All of them at various times have explained how they have always had these feelings and although in teenage years they felt pressurised into doing what society felt was "normal" , none of them felt comfortable with this and didn't pursue these relationships. Most of them kept it to themselves, just became that friend that had never really settled down with anyone and had thrown themselves into work. Or thats what we were led to believe but of course that wasn't the case.

What I cannot understand is how someone can go from heterosexual to gay? I could understand if they go bi (and maybe thats what Phil actually is). But how can you live with a wife and kids and presumably have normal sexual relations and then decide that you're gay? Has it all been a lie and hes been gay all along but what is definition of heterosexual? Surely he has pretty much ticked them all off? Or could he be thinking he is gay but in reality over last 30 years has proved he's not?

Can sexuality feelings change over the years from one sex to the other? Are these feelings maybe just the same as other preferences we have as humans whether it be political tendencies, favourite foods or drinks or whatever?

I am genuinely intigued by this.
You don't decide if you're gay, straight or bi. It is decided for you and there is no reason to suppose that your body/mind or whatever is fixed in one mode from birth to death. Change can happen.
Straight, bi or gay is simply a matter of what you are sexually attracted to. It is no more complicated than that.

Does that change over time? I don't know. I probably doubt it but maybe.

However, that doesn't mean you necessarily know which you are, and even if you do know you may choose to supress that knowledge for a variety of reasons. Or perhaps just simply not admit it to yourself. Or perhaps you simply don't want to be so fool yourself.

If you mean how can a gay man live as a heterosexual man and have an erection and then sex with a woman, then I guess it's called faking it. Even if you don't know that you are. A person can be turned on as much by what they're thinking as by what they're doing.

I imagine that not everybody can pretend, or want to, but I don't find it difficult to believe or understand that some can and do.

You'll notice it's called "coming out". A matter of revealing / admitting / understanding something, not suddenly becoming it.

My gay friends who are reasonably around my age seem to mostly have had a traumatic teen/early 20s, those materially younger then me seem not to have had anything like the same level of issues.

I think generally women are somewhat more fluid than men.

I must admit to absolutely no interest in someone else's sexual preferences (unless I'm hoping that it's me.), A person fancying men or women is about as interesting to someone else as is whether you fancy blondes or brunettes, surely?

Certainly sexuality is about as useful a way of judging people as the colour of their skin.

i.e. Not.
>>My gay friends who are reasonably around my age seem to mostly have had a traumatic
>>teen/early 20s, those materially younger then me seem not to have had anything like the same >>level of issues.

I think there was some intolerance years ago. A lot of queer bashing. Totally unacceptable but it still goes on. It's just callout out for what it is now - unacceptable!

>>I think generally women are somewhat more fluid than men.

I believe that its not binary for a lot of people. A bloke can like 40% men 60% women for example and get it on with both, but this is an area beyond my ken.

>>I must admit to absolutely no interest in someone else's sexual preferences (unless I'm hoping
>>that it's me.), A person fancying men or women is about as interesting to someone else as is
>>whether you fancy blondes or brunettes, surely?

Ditto.
>>whether you fancy blondes

Years ago, after a meeting it was too late to head home so we booked in to a local posh hotel near London.

There were quite a few and we had a night of it and looked worse for wear the next morning.

Some of the girls (a group of 3 blondes shared a room) and I bumped in to them on the way down for breakfast.

At the breakfast table the waiter was serving coffee and asked for the room number and one of the girls piped up that "We were all in room 123 and have worked up a real appetite for the breakfast"

The poor waiter dropped the coffee pot!
>> Can sexuality feelings change over the years from one sex to the other?

I've always thought of gay/straight as a continuum. Most of us are clustered at one end or the other but we're distributed across the whole range. Given that people generally at one end have been known to 'dabble' at the other I guess the biology around erections etc functions OK. Even if it doesn't there are means of achieving insemination without penetration....

I've no idea where Phillip Schofield sits on the spectrum but he's far from alone in managing to live what gives every impression of being a straight family life only to 'come out' later in life. I don't think Crispin Blunt is the only MP to have done so - or even the only Conservative* MP!!.

As a man roughly same age as Schofield, I'd have had a very tough time being an out gay in suburban Leeds. He's a northener too and I'm pretty sure Oldham was no different. The first time I met an openly gay man was the day I started my first job in London. I'd be pretty sure that at time (1979) his being out gay would have affected his career. He was rumoured to be into some fairly extreme practices (and may subsequently have died of AIDS) but it'd have been little different if he'd live quietly and monogamously with a 'nice' boyfriend.

At the time it was still pretty much a requirement that one had to be married to be selected for the judiciary. The assumption apparently was that if you were still single at the age where you might aspire to being a judge (45-50?) and still single you might be gay. And as any fule kno gay men are susceptible to blackmail.

It's hardly surprising that people decided a quiet life looking normal was only option.

*That observation is ironic and strictly not political.
 Schofield says he's gay - Lygonos
Thinking back to the 1980s I doubt Mr Schofield would have had much of a career as a children's entertainer if he was openly and unambiguously gay.

The Daily Nutter would have made sure of it.
Back in the late sixties and the seventies when I worked in east end factories anyone either coming out or being outed as gay would have had a life of misery to the point of being in physical danger.
 Schofield says he's gay - PeterS
>> Back in the late sixties and the seventies when I worked in east end factories
>> anyone either coming out or being outed as gay would have had a life of
>> misery to the point of being in physical danger.
>>

I was at a comprehensive school in a small market town in East Yorkshire for much of the ‘80s... I got more grief for having a southern accent than being gay ;)

And I say that not to make light of the struggles many people had, and continue to have. But what has always worked for me is to be straightforward and open about who I am. Despite growing up at a time when section 28 and HiV coloured things. That takes a certain amount of either confidence, front or recklessness though... And while I don’t claim to be particularly confident, I’m very good at pretending to be confident...and am not bad at recklessness either!! But, I’ve been lucky, I know I have...I know many who’ve had far tougher times at home, at school, and, albeit less, at work. Schofields career would almost certainly not have taken off if he’d been openly gay, though maybe back then he hadn’t accepted it himself? Doesn’t seem to have held back Andi Peters from being a children’s TV presenter, those his subsequent career hasn’t matched Schofields. But then, it probably wouldn’t have...his has been remarkable.

>> gay, though maybe back then he hadn’t accepted it himself? Doesn’t seem to have held
>> back Andi Peters from being a children’s TV presenter, those his subsequent career hasn’t matched
>> Schofields. But then, it probably wouldn’t have...his has been remarkable.

As far as I know Andi Peters is not Gay, which leads me onto one thing. There is a faction within the more militant parts of the gay community to search for and out people who have not come out, and Andi Peters has been on the receiving end of that more than once. Because he is well known, private and single. Its utterly despicable

Andi might be gay, who cares if he is or not, but the choice to disclose that is his and his alone. He might have decided that being black and gay is too much of a professional hurdle, a choice you have to respect for whatever reason.
>> Andi might be gay, who cares if he is or not, but the choice to
>> disclose that is his and his alone. He might have decided that being black and
>> gay is too much of a professional hurdle, a choice you have to respect for
>> whatever reason.

Then that’s my mistake...I thought he was, though I don’t know him personally. I completely agree, deciding to be out or not is a personal choice. I have no truck with the Peter Tatchell approach and while I’m sure he’s helped many people, his approach has hindered just as many I reckon...
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 9 Feb 20 at 18:45
>> back Andi Peters from being a children’s TV presenter, those his subsequent career hasn’t matched
>> Schofields. But then, it probably wouldn’t have...his has been remarkable.

I'd never heard of Andi Peters and had to google. Born 1970 (and raised on London) which probably just makes the difference from Schofield and others born fifities/sixties and in north.

Oddly, Wiki is silent on his being gay or anything at all about his personal life. (EDIT cross posted with Zero).

Going back ti judges I think that prevailed until after Hailsham retired. Probably changed under McKay of Clashfern.

When Denzil Lush was appointed to succeed Biddy McFarlane as Master of the Court of Protection c1996 there was a long delay between his name being mentioned as successful candidate and the appointment being formalised. Some speculated that Denzil being gay was at least part of reason.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 9 Feb 20 at 12:28
 Schofield says he's gay - Lygonos
Only 13 years since John Browne felt he had to resign from BP as his sexuality was about to be revealed
 Schofield says he's gay - Ambo
>>I've always thought of gay/straight as a continuum.

I'm surprised that nobody has followed this up, Brompton. I made the same observation some years back and there were several round rejections of the idea.

>> I'm surprised that nobody has followed this up, Brompton. I made the same observation some
>> years back and there were several round rejections of the idea.

Seems self evident to me.

There is also a concept of non-binary but that's about identity rather than sexuality.
Watched a summary of the Ohio Democratic Party nomination thing that was on this week.

One of the candidates, Pete Buttigieg, is openly gay and married to a man.

A woman who voted for him was being interviewed and the interviewer mentioned his sexuality and the voter was horrified and wanted to take her vote back!

I wonder if she would feel the same if a gay doctor or a gay fire fighter was trying to save her life?
There is no way the Americans will elect a gay president Mind you I said they would never elect a negro heritage one.
>> There is no way the Americans will elect a gay president Mind you I said
>> they would never elect a negro heritage one.

In both cases it's down to how the Republicans can play the card.

If Buttigieg is out and everyone knows it they're limited to pitching for hard core homophobes. If the homophobes don't care 'cos he's got right policies or their numbers are too tiny then Obama's victory in spite of racists is a good aiming point.
>> Only 13 years since John Browne felt he had to resign from BP as his
>> sexuality was about to be revealed
>>

Easy for me to say as I must be the best part of 25 years younger than him, but if he hadn’t hidden it then there’d have been no great surprises at it being revealed...so there’d have been no ‘ammunition’ to take him down with. And while I get why he felt the need to hide it early in his career, he’d made it to a pretty senior position by the late 80’s / early 90’s, by which time (at least in companies I’ve worked for) he could have gradually outed himself without any big fanfare. Indeed, I imagine many of his colleagues knew...?
Latest Forum Posts