Computer Related > Cabling new house? Computing Issues
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 8

Cabling new house? - car4play
I've always found that you can never have too much Cat5 cabling. When they did our office I doubled it at last minute and I still had to add more.
It depends though on what you are really wanting to do. Our phone system is IP based, so we use two points in a location - one for the phone and one for the computer. Wifi is ok, for most tasks, but if your doing a massive sync or copy to a network server nothing is as good as Gigabit ethernet. I guess some of the newer Wifi protocols will finally beat this, but for now that's the best it goes.
In some locations I just accept that one point will have to do and then put a small ethernet switch there - e.g. the TV room where the TV, sound system, Apple TV, PS4 etc. all need internet connections.
You also have to decide if you are going to put in CCTV, because the most carefree are the fixed Power over Ethernet ones.
Also if you are going to run cable, don't do as my builders did and run the cheap cable. For the comparatively slight difference in money go for the best and do it once. I ended up ripping it out and replacing it before it all got sealed up. That goes especially for TV / satellite cable.
TBH though I don't use TV or satellite now as everything is on the internet anyway, so despite having a load of these cables installed, none are in use.

I also ran more cables than are connected so they are through to the patch panel and rooms below the floorboards or in the walls if ever I need more. I had to use some of these also when the builders managed to break some of the wired ones!
 Messages Author Date
 Cabling new house? new Manatee 27 Feb 20 19:38
 Cabling new house? new Zero 27 Feb 20 19:49
 Cabling new house? new No FM2R 27 Feb 20 20:07
 Cabling new house? new No FM2R 27 Feb 20 20:12
 Cabling new house? new Fullchat 27 Feb 20 20:25
 Cabling new house? new neiltoo 28 Feb 20 10:04
 Cabling new house? new Falkirk Bairn 28 Feb 20 14:21
 Cabling new house? new Manatee 3 Mar 20 10:10
 Cabling new house? new car4play 11 May 20 18:15
Latest Forum Posts