Non-motoring > Another Management Question. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 16

Another Management Question. - Bobby
This is an interesting question and a situation that I have recently been discussing with ex colleagues.

In my last job I was in a managerial postion. Regularly worked long hours, from around 8am till at least 6pm and then on laptop at home for an hour or so in evening. On call 24/7, email on phone etc etc.

I was made redundant as part of a costcutting move and from what I have heard, much of the detailed work, information, spreadsheets etc just isn't getting done now. For instance, I was selling a small selection of new goods in 18 shops. We booked the stock onto our system, barcoded, cost prices, RRP, full scanning etc. Now they just enter the price on the till and are going to base their stock valuations (for auditing purposes) on a stock take on 31 March. But no detail of where any stock loss is, which branch, which product, it will simply be total spent minus stock valuation. That is just one of many examples where they have decided that the work I spent a lot of time on is not relevant now (incidentally the finance director disagrees with this). Add in to that many other similar scenarios, performance reviews less regular, less regular audits etc etc.

I now work in a civil service position, less money for sure but what a different life I now have.
Flexitime - every minute I am at work I get the credit for it. I can work anytime between 7am and 9pm, whatever suits me. No customer contact, no email on phone. When I walk out the building my work is finished till I go back. It is absolute heaven and everyone I speak to says I am a total different person, so much more relaxed. In fact I am now needing a hobby or project as my wife says I have so much time on my hands in the evenings and weekends.

Yes, I understand its a different business etc but what I do see clearly now, is that many businesses out there could do so much for their staff with regards to flexible working. Too many are ingrained in "this is the way its always been" or " we are not changing it for you".

You simply cannot underestimate how much stress it removes from a person's life by having flexi working. Get up in the morning to find the kid / dog / boiler whatever isnt working properly, sort it out and then go to work. Dont panic about not being in for a fixed time. Train running later? So what? Need to leave work early as its a nice day / you need to deal with the dog / its the kids parents night etc, no problem. The culture is ingrained and everyone works to it.

And you know something, the staff are totally switched on and appreciate the benefit and appreciate getting treated in this way. So that buys other loyalty. And yes I know that many will say thats the civil service for you and you need to get a proper job etc, and I do get some of that, but I also do wonder how much of normal workplace stress is preventable with some simple changes to policies and adopting better attitudes to staff wellbeing.

Messages Author Date
 Another Management Question.  new Bromptonaut 1 Mar 20 13:58
 Another Management Question.  new sooty123 1 Mar 20 14:05
 Another Management Question.  new No FM2R 1 Mar 20 14:25
 Another Management Question.  new Netsur 1 Mar 20 23:13
 Another Management Question.  new No FM2R 2 Mar 20 00:34
 Another Management Question.  new Bromptonaut 2 Mar 20 16:15
 Another Management Question.  new Dulwich Estate II 2 Mar 20 15:58
 Another Management Question.  new No FM2R 2 Mar 20 16:04
 Another Management Question.  new No FM2R 1 Mar 20 14:29
 Another Management Question.  new Bromptonaut 1 Mar 20 14:34
 Another Management Question.  new Falkirk Bairn 2 Mar 20 16:07