Non-motoring > Need a quick answer - diesel in heating... Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 13

Need a quick answer - diesel in heating... - No FM2R
Can my Father put a few gallons of diesel into his oil fired heating system? Just in the short term to get him through 24 hours?

I know all the other things / approaches / alternatives which should be possible, but he's almost 90, not in the best of health and my Mother is much the same. I can get my sister to deliver him some car diesel to get him through until tomorrow.

Thank you.
I found one website which says he can in the short term, though it burns a bit hotter and so too long would be bad for the boiler.

I should probably have put this in non-motoring, perhaps a kindly mod would move it if appropriate.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 18 Mar 20 at 18:38
 Need a quick answer - diesel in heating... - Zero
They are similar enough that it will work, but as you say has long term reliability and service issues.
Thanks
 Need a quick answer - diesel in heating... - bathtub tom
There was a (sixteen-year-old) thread revived on t'other side, albeit about putting heating oil in a diesel engine. I haven't bothered to go through it all, but it may be informative:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=19887
 Need a quick answer - diesel in heating... - VxFan
>> perhaps a kindly mod would move it if appropriate.

kick ------>>>>
 Need a quick answer - diesel in heating... - Arctophile
There is a garage near Ludgershall, west of Andover, that sells 25 litre drums of heating oil.

If your dad lives near the places that you have mentioned in the past then this may not be too far away. Obviously a telephone call to them to check availability would be worthwhile.

www.gerrishfuels.com/
Thank you.

He's near Newbury, I'll ask him about going to Andover.
 Need a quick answer - diesel in heating... - Arctophile
P.S. If the tank has run dry then it maybe necessary to bleed the fuel line.
You are quite right, and that's what we're trying to avoid. Much as he knows what to do and has done it before, I fear it is beyond him these days.

I don't know why his usual supplier is quoting an unusual 10 day delay, nor do I know why he cannot simply ring around other suppliers, but if you have elderly relatives you'll know the futility of pushing the matter or the danger of sticking one's nose in too far.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 18 Mar 20 at 21:56
 Need a quick answer - diesel in heating... - Kevin
>I don't know why his usual supplier is quoting an unusual 10 day delay,

Don't heating oil suppliers have a register of priority 'vulnerable' customers like the leccy and gas companies?
 Need a quick answer - diesel in heating... - R.P.
Boiler juice are quoting two days around here.
 Need a quick answer - diesel in heating... - Lemma
Wise after the event of course, but we are not too far away from him and use Evesons on a regular top up. They are very good. Once they have a view of your usage they just turn up at the appropriate time and fill up. We are on a budget plan with them and the £s go out via direct debit. Very pain free and reasonable price too.

I sympathise with you though, we had similar issues when my mother-in-law was alive and living in the Calne area, a bit further west down the A4. And if the boiler went wrong - !!
Latest Forum Posts