Non-motoring > BBC Catch Up Service. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 18

BBC Catch Up Service. - R.P.
Went into catch menu on my Sky box - Looks like the Beeb has dumped stacks of their back catalogue into it.....fair play....public service broadcasting at its very best.
 BBC Catch Up Service. - No FM2R
It's actually pleasant to see the BBC moving towards being a grown up public broadcaster again, rather than their modern typical stances of being competition for the Daily Mail.
 BBC Catch Up Service. - Roger.
>> It's actually pleasant to see the BBC moving towards being a grown up public broadcaster
>> again, rather than their modern typical stances of being competition for the Daily Mail. The Guardian.
Fixed it!

BBC Catch Up Service. - No FM2R
If I had meant The Guardian I would have written the Guardian.

I repeat;

It's actually pleasant to see the BBC moving towards being a grown up public broadcaster again, rather than their modern typical stances of being competition for the Daily Mail.
 BBC Catch Up Service. - Crankcase
Inspired by this I fired up iPlayer on the Fire stick last night. To be honest I couldn't see anything different or new since the time I looked, about a week ago, other than the usual catchup stuff from the last few days.

Though I find interface a bit poor and it's not that easy to tell.

Anyway, I couldn't find anything I wanted to watch, alas.

BBC Catch Up Service. - maltrap
Those of us with Sky Sport can "pause" it from today.
 BBC Catch Up Service. - Dulwich Estate II
"Those of us with Sky Sport can "pause" it from today."

Not so easy apparently. Reports say you can't do it online, you must call. When folk have called the message is on the lines of fewer staff, very busy, can't take calls.
 BBC Catch Up Service. - Robin O'Reliant
I cancelled my PlusNet BT Sports this week and got their Entertainment pack instead, saving seven quid a month into the bargain. I still get BT Sports Lite and Eurosport with the Youview box anyway, not that there is much of interest on there You can only watch last years Giro d' Italia so many times before it begins to lose it's attraction.
 BBC Catch Up Service. - Haywain
"I cancelled my PlusNet BT Sports this week and got their Entertainment pack instead, saving seven quid a month into the bargain."

I have BT Sport in with my Plusnet deal; last year, they threatened to double the BT Sport component to £10 so I told them to cancel it. They then did some magic manipulation with the monthly payment to make it slightly less than I'd been paying previously and I got to keep BT Sport. At the time, I was living with the forlorn hope that Leicester might get into Europe again (sorry, NoFM) ....... but who knows what's going to happen now???

Again, I am contemplating giving up on BT Sport (my total monthly payment for Anytime call, Unlimited Fibre Extra, BT SportApp is £27.99).

What is the BT Entertainment pack that you took instead - is it any good?
 BBC Catch Up Service. - Falkirk Bairn
Paused my SkySports today - around 4pm it took 6 minutes to press the buttons & then speak to a native English speaker.

About £20 per month less. She asked WHY ?and I said I watch live sport and a league or cup match from 10 years ago does not interest me.

She then said they would switch it back on in Aug/Sept time when sport restarts.

Sky were earlier this week taking 31 days notice & charging as well.

It might have been them seeing common sense and allowing a pause for a few months.

On the other hand they were maybe threatened with taking money for services - demanding payment for goods they were not delivering.
 BBC Catch Up Service. - VxFan
You’ve just reminded me to phone Sky and try and negotiate a better deal following an email from them telling me my entertainment package is increasing from £60 by another £3.50 a month.
>>
>>
>> What is the BT Entertainment pack that you took instead - is it any good?
>>
Not that much, really. I get the TCM movie channel and so far nothing on it has interested me. Plus some stuff like Alibi. I'll give it a month and if it doesn't interest me I'll junk that too.
Thanks, I don't watch much tv anyway. I wonder if I should just sit it out - if I ditch BT Sport, it might destabilise the whole package ......... there's a magic £12 discount lurking in there somewhere.
 BBC Catch Up Service. - sooty123
What's BT sports like, i mean normally when there's something actually to watch, I keep seeing cheap deals. Although I never seem to get them for our area, perhaps it's to do with living (well half way) in the sticks?
"What's BT sports like?"

My opinion is just that of a (mainly) football watcher - I am a member of our local non-league club, a close follower of Leicester City and a watcher of most footy when a bit desperate.

I had always been too mean/not sufficiently interested to take up any of the sports tv offers until Plusnet offered the BT Sports app for £2.50 a month for 6 months - then it became £5 per month; I bit. That was OK until they decided to double the monthly charge to £10 sometime last year; at that point, I phoned them and after a civilised discussion, the package came out cheaper than before.

With the app installed on my iPad, I can wander into another room to watch it or, on the rare occasions when Mrs H isn't watching the main tv, I can cast to that. Picture quality is very good. To be honest, I haven't paid to much attention to anything other than football on the app. There's normally some motorcycle coverage and pugilistic stuff but I've just checked and, of course, the programme is totally atypical.
By the way, R o'R, if you're really, really, desperate to watch a bit of footy, this is the best place (AFAIK) to find it ......
www.live-footballontv.com

There are occasional Japanese games, some Bundesliga (?) and a smattering of Australian matches at strange hours.
I like my football, but I'll never be that desperate! The biggest loss to me is cycling, motorcycling and snooker. At least horse racing is still on in Ireland and ITV are covering it, so I can still waste my money in the vain hope of a windfall.
 BBC Catch Up Service. - Duncan
Are the Irish immune to the Corona Virus?
Horse racing is a much larger part of the Irish economy than it is here. All racing is behind closed doors with no owners or trainers allowed, only the most essential staff and that is under review. Their biggest worry is that it is still the jump racing season for the next few weeks and they don't want injured jockeys taking up hospital resources.
Latest Forum Posts