Motoring Discussion > Jaguar - E-pace - to be picked up today - eh NO
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 11

Jaguar - E-pace - to be picked up today - eh NO - Falkirk Bairn
A friend of a friend (70 ish) was due to pick up a new car today.

Unfortunately coming off the transporter, yesterday, the back end was damaged.

Not to worry said the garage - we will have all the bits with us by Tuesday and you will get the car next Friday. Sorry for the inconvenience but we will give you a free 1st service & include .................... The car is already registered in your name so we will get it to you ASAP.

A damaged new car? and worse still they were going to accept the bashed car !

The son/daughter has told them to walk - who would pay new car money for a car with a new bumper, tailgate, exhaust etc etc?

Brass neck of the dealer to offer a "solution" like that & absolute stupidity of the customer to think of taking it!
 Jaguar - E-pace - to be picked up today - eh NO - VxFan
You'd be surprised how many brand new cars have seen the paint shop and other repairs done on them before the customer gets their hands on it.

A mate of mine used to work at a big franchise dealership in Oxford, and his main role was to PDI the cars upon arrival. a good 30 + % of them had to go off for resprays, dent repairs, etc.

Roofs getting scratched and dented from low branches while on the transporter to the dealership. Door dings from being parked too close together whilst waiting dispatch to dealers. Some even had orange peel paintwork that hadn't been dealt with prior to leaving the assembly line.

In short, a brand new car isn't always "brand new".
 Jaguar - E-pace - to be picked up today - eh NO - Zero

>> In short, a brand new car isn't always "brand new".

And has been tested in court, you dont automatically have the right to reject a new car if its been repaired.
 Jaguar - E-pace - to be picked up today - eh NO - bathtub tom
I had a car that had one rear door a slightly different shade of metallic silver to the rest of the car, that was only noticeable in certain light and from a particular angle. A mechanic neighbour reckoned it was probably a good factory rectification job.
 Jaguar - E-pace - to be picked up today - eh NO - Falkirk Bairn
>>you dont automatically have the right to reject a new car if its been repaired.

They have not taken delivery & have not paid for it so the Punter holds 2 Aces.

The dealer can UN-register the car if they move quickly! So NO previous owners when it eventually is registered.

The carrier's insurance will cough for the repairs (& any diminution of value possibly?)
 Jaguar - E-pace - to be picked up today - eh NO - The Melting Snowman
Very similar experience to someone I knew who worked at PDI for a large franchise about 30 years ago. Seems nothing has changed...
 Jaguar - E-pace - to be picked up today - eh NO - Lemma
In the mid 80s I was due to take delivery of a Rover SD1 2.3l auto. This was at a time when the Granada was selling like hot cakes and there was actually little choice if, like me, a car was needed fairly promptly.

It was being supplied by Henley’s, apparently when being offloaded from the top deck of the transporter a hose broke and sprayed it with hydraulic oil. The oil was highly damaging to the paintwork and the car required extensive repainting down one side. The fleet manager was not overly concerned as long as they gave me wheels. I ended up with a 3.5l manual SD1. What a car! Effortless and smooth power, in fact you could take off in 2nd and get up to 70+ in the same gear.

I went to pick up my car after about two months and immediately noticed a colour difference. With metallic red it really needed a complete respray. Some weeks later, back again. Overspray and damaged chrome trim not replaced this time. Back it went again. I eventually did around 20k miles in the loan car and was in no hurry to return it, but eventually did.

My Rover still had the discoloured chrome windscreen trim and apart from being disappointing, inevitably, after the loaner proved to be real lemon. Amongst other things it had six Philips auto reverse cassette radios, a real appetite for cassettes. It eventually blew up on the Preston bypass with about 33k on the clock and was never seen again. The Granada Ghia that replaced it was so much more reliable, although the Rover did have style if not much else.
 Jaguar - E-pace - to be picked up today - eh NO - The Melting Snowman
The broken hose did you a huge favour.
 Jaguar - E-pace - to be picked up today - eh NO - smokie
I used to live not so far from a large storage compound for imported new cars (multiple brands). We reckoned cars could be in there for up to 6 months. There were many stories (and some were proved in court) of cars being vandalised or stripped of some parts while in storage.

I bet many punters wouldn't have known though that their new motor had stood not far from the sea under a power station cooling tower for months. The layer of wax protected them against the fall out I suppose.
 Jaguar - E-pace - to be picked up today - eh NO - Bill Payer
>> - who would pay new car money for a car with a new bumper, tailgate, exhaust etc etc?
>>
When I take delivery of new cars I expect all its parts to be new!

Just last week read on a Tiguan forum I visit of a new one being replaced as it arrived with two 15mm scratches on its rear bumper. Dealership had a go at repairing it but were apparently not satisfied and will order a new car.
 Jaguar - E-pace - to be picked up today - eh NO - Boxsterboy
Jag dealers must be particularly careless as this happened to a mate's Dad's brand new XJ saloon 35 years ago! Except the dealership didn't own up and the new owner found out the hard way ("why does my new car have a dent in the boot floor??").
 Jaguar - E-pace - to be picked up today - eh NO - Bobby
>>Jag dealers must be particularly careless as this happened to a mate's Dad's brand new XJ saloon 35 years ago!

a definite trend there ......... :)
Latest Forum Posts