Motoring Discussion > Service & MoT cancelled - COVID-19 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 42

Service & MoT cancelled - COVID-19 - Manatee
EMG Cambridge called just now to say they won't be doing the third service and MoT on my MX-5, as they are closed until at least 14 April. I don't want to mess up the service record but I suppose that's a first world problem.

Most of the independents local to me seem to be open at the moment, although some are saying they are open only for, or prioritizing, essential workers.
 Service & MoT cancelled - COVID-19 - Robin O'Reliant
Mine is in for it's MoT at the moment, being fitted with a couple of tyres, track rod end and an alternator. It is supposed to be done today. I haven't heard anything to the contrary.
 Service & MoT cancelled - COVID-19 - wotspur
My wife’s Renault car was booked in ,5 weeks ago , for a service on Thursday , and with an offsite independent MOT , both have been now cancelled .
I’ve just gone on the DVLA Site and it’s as clear as mud , if I need to use the car after the 29th when the Mot runs out , is it illegal ? And which will be the worse punishment driving an illegal car , or just being out !
Oh well thankfully we do have alternative options , stay safe peeps
 Service & MoT cancelled - COVID-19 - Haywain
"EMG Cambridge called just now to say they won't be doing the third service and MoT ...... "

We are in exactly the same position with my wife's B-max - Marshalls branch in Bury rang to say that they were closing and recommended "going on to the Govt website to download the form".

Looking on the Govt website, there was no such form for cars - there may have been something for commercial vehicles, PSVs, etc but cars were still under consideration. My wife rang Marshall's back, they apologised for giving misinformation, and recommended another independent place in the town. We have an appointment there for Friday. The service (it's on a plan) will have to wait until Marshalls open again.
 Service & MoT cancelled - COVID-19 - zippy
Got Mrs Z's Note done on Friday - service and MOT.

A mate bought a brand new Ford at the weekend and was due to pick it up today.

It's already registered to him so the warranty is running and so far he can't get through to anyone at the dealership.

I know there is a 7 days leeway allowed by the DVLA but he can't get through to the admin side of the dealer to get this done.
 Service & MoT cancelled - COVID-19 - CGNorwich
My VW dealer rang me yesterday to ask if I wanted my service and MOT done. They are offering free collection and delivery. I agreed and they are coming on Monday. As I understand it from the Government listing of shops that can remain open garages and petrol stations can but not car showrooms
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Tue 24 Mar 20 at 11:43
 Service & MoT cancelled - COVID-19 - Runfer D'Hills
My Merc was due to go in on Friday for a service, but they've just rung me to postpone it as the dealership is now closed until further notice. Not that it'll be going far in the next few weeks I suppose. But, it's also due an MOT mid May so I'm not sure how I'm going to get around that.

I guess I might be able to get it serviced elsewhere but there are conditions applying to keeping it serviced by a Mercedes dealer ( such as preservation of the Mobilo rescue package etc )

Flipping thing is costing me £500 a month in personal tax too.

But of course, that may turn out to be the least of my financial woes...

Stay well everyone.
Looks like the MOT requirements for cars are under review

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-51176409
 Service & MoT cancelled - COVID-19 - Zero
The beemer is 1,500 miles/8 months shy of a service, in the normal world just past that would be end of April. In the new world thats 3 -5 months away.

There will be a rush for the service department, when restrictions are lifted. Ill get mine preemptively booked for june now. First MOT due in November.

Still hoping to go and pickup my basecamp on Saturday.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 24 Mar 20 at 13:13
 Service & MoT cancelled - COVID-19 - smokie
Bellingers of Wantage (one of the few Vx dealers who can service my car) have just emailed me saying they are closing sales, aftersales and parts from 24 March for the minimum 3 weeks. They go on to say customers with service bookings will be cancelled and contacted when it is safe to return to work. People awaiting new car deliveries have to wait until contacted once they reopen.

My car MOT and service isn't due till end June so may be OK but we'll see.
 Service & MoT cancelled - COVID-19 - VxFan
>> Bellingers of Wantage (one of the few Vx dealers who can service my car) have just emailed me ……

I got the same notification as well as them posting the same message on their Facebook page.

Car isn't due an MOT/Service until end of September, but I will need some work doing on the car in the not too distant future. Having just had an op on my leg, unfortunately I'm not in a position to do it myself at the moment. Very few garages in the area (well that would trust anyway), and they all seem to be following suit and closing as well, so I'm stuffed if the car goes wrong in the meantime.
 Service & MoT cancelled - COVID-19 - Dog
>>so I'm stuffed if the car goes wrong in the meantime

Avez vous any van-based mobile mechanics in your area?
 Service & MoT cancelled - COVID-19 - VxFan
Possibly, I will need to look into it if necessary.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 25 Mar 20 at 11:31
Things move quickly. The main dealer who rang me yesterday has just sent me an email stating that their service department is closed until further notice.

I shall adopt the Zero plan.

Service & MoT cancelled - COVID-19 - BiggerBadderDave
I've got grumbling rear bearing that I was about to order and use the local garage to swap it. I'll see if they're open. Dunno how it affects the post or couriers but I'm not in any rush, really. No rush to go nowhere.
 Service & MoT cancelled - COVID-19 - Runfer D'Hills
Our local indy garage was still open today. The Merc dealership was closed but they were saying that was because they have a showroom.

Guess, if they stay open, I can get an MOT at the local garage in due course.
 Service & MoT cancelled - COVID-19 - Zero
you would think they could shut off the showroom
 Service & MoT cancelled - COVID-19 - legacylad
Well if showrooms are closed what’s happening to viewing new cars and subsequently placing orders?
I quite fancied a new DBX...........
 Service & MoT cancelled - COVID-19 - tyrednemotional
...next door neighbour had a new car delivered this morning. Touch and go whether it made the cut.

Can only drive it to the supermarket for the forseeable (and the one day a month remaining of teaching duties).
 Service & MoT cancelled - COVID-19 - Terry
I assume that in theory the warranty for new cars relies upon getting the car serviced at an appropriate marque dealer. If they have shut up shop then they are incapable of fulfilling their side of the warranty contract.

I know that in theory you can have the vehicle serviced by any competent garage providing they use the right parts and consumables, and follow the service schedule - but they are unlikely to be able to do software updates etc.

Best bet would probably be to write or email the dealer expressing your understanding and concern, and request they contact you as soon as they are able to return to normality.
 Tax issues- COVID-19 - sherlock47
Anybody who has a MoT that will run out before it is next due to be taxed (in the next few months) needs to be very careful. If you cannot get the MoT you will be unable to Tax it - if left untaxed on the road you are liable to have it seized. OK, there might be no-one around to seize and tow, but with outsourced revenue collection services there will always be keen people about.

My advice would be to cancel the Tax and then retax for 12 months.

A few years ago a SORNed car I sold on a friday evening was seized within 48 hrs from a fairly well hidden, roadside, location. The notice of removal was sent to me with a pending destruction notice on an extremely short timescale. I had done all the correct things, the 'new owner' was a 'trader' and had stamped my transfer form and I had posted to the DVLA on the Monday am, with a cert of posting. So I was off the hook:) But the new owner would not have known where it had gone, I was surprised that I did not get a visit accusing me of having keys.
 Tax issues- COVID-19 - Fullchat
If the DVSA are extending the MOT date by 6 months then surely their database will reflect this extension and taxing it shouldn't be a problem?
Last edited by: Fullchat on Wed 25 Mar 20 at 11:57
 Tax issues- COVID-19 - tyrednemotional
...which is exactly what the government instructions say. You can check online the (new) MOT due date, but it warns to give a little time before the system catches up.
 Tax issues- COVID-19 - sherlock47
Fullchat

My advice was given before the extension was announced. Still sensible practice to have Mot date predating tax due date.
 Tax issues- COVID-19 - wotspur
Unless your like my situation . My wife’s car was booked in for a service 3 weeks ago for this Thursday and an MOt at the same time ,before taxing it on the 29th ......
The service got cancelled ,as did the Mot , so I assume I’ll have to Sorn it from The end of the month ! #notfaironnthoseinnsimilarmsituationswithonkyinecar
 Tax issues- COVID-19 - wotspur
So Sherlock , my wife’s car had been booked in for an MOt onnthe 28th and needed a service , so now because it’s in that 5/6 No mans land , it’s not Mot’d , but is taxed , with 3 months .
Would it be ok to SORN it , so the last 3 months of tax, when it can’t be used , I’m not paying for , what do you reckon

Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 4 Apr 20 at 03:30
 Service & MoT cancelled - COVID-19 - Duncan
>> I shall adopt the Zero plan.

Just keep clear when he is reversing!
 Service & MoT cancelled - COVID-19 - Bromptonaut
DVLA have announced extension of 6 months to MoT expiring after 30-03-2020:

content.govdelivery.com/accounts/UKDVSA/bulletins/282e2c7
 MoT extension 6 months- COVID-19 - sherlock47
But only if the expiry is April or later!

www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-mots-for-cars-vans-and-motorcycles-due-from-30-march-2020?fbclid=IwAR0p9OkkTXW9Q4o1LEVyuUtclgQIETnD-a4XHMB--Wi-hw2YRDm9ykarrVk

MoT extension 6 months- COVID-19 - Haywain
The B-max 1st MoT is due on 31st March, but it's booked in for Friday now, so we'll plough on regardless.
 MoT extension 6 months- COVID-19 - Robin O'Reliant
Mine is in at the moment, the MoT is due 11th April but I always get it done early. It needed a small bit of welding so I'm happy to have it done.

Mrs O'Reliant's Liana is due on the 18th so that will wait.
 MoT extension 6 months- COVID-19 - Manatee
Mine's due on 29th March, so not very helpful.
 MoT extension 6 months- COVID-19 - Robin O'Reliant
I just picked mine up from the garage, he's shutting on Friday and all the local outfits have either closed or are doing so once they've cleared existing bookings.
 MoT extension 6 months- COVID-19 - Zero
>> I just picked mine up from the garage, he's shutting on Friday and all the
>> local outfits have either closed or are doing so once they've cleared existing bookings.

I guess now the DVLC have suspended testing, and with few people about, he wont be making any money by staying open. Not sure how the DVLC is going to deal with this 5 day gap.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 25 Mar 20 at 15:26
 MoT extension 6 months- COVID-19 - James T
>> I guess now the DVLC have suspended testing, and with few people about, he wont
>> be making any money by staying open. Not sure how the DVLC is going to
>> deal with this 5 day gap.
>>
It's the DVSA that handles testing, not DVLA.

I believe that changing the length of validity of an MOT certificate can be done by statutory instrument, but only after a consultation.

I guess the minimum length of a consultation is 5 days. Hence 30 March. But there won't be an easy way to make it retrospective - ie. to people who have had their MOT expire.

Driving without an MOT is a (potential) fine, but no points. As long as the car is roadworthy, I cannot see any magistrate being a pain - especially if the car is being used to support a vulnerable person. But you cannot tax a car without an MOT so that becomes a bigger problem. I guess you just have to declare it SORN (even if it's not parked off road), and plead with the magistrate in due course.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 27 Mar 20 at 02:49
 MoT extension 6 months- COVID-19 - tyrednemotional
>>
>> I believe that changing the length of validity of an MOT certificate can be done
>> by statutory instrument, but only after a consultation.
>>

I have seen information from someone who is on the periphery of that consultation (an ex-member of the Vehicle Testing Station Council).

It is to the effect that the extension will not be a one-off blanket approach, but will (after a short first period catching up with the start point) be applied on a rolling basis only 7-days in advance of the current expiry date. Hence, anyone with an expiry date in the first 7 days from the 30th March will fairly rapidly get a revised date, after that, the expiry date will only be adjusted by 6 months as we approach the 7 days before the expiry date.

This in anticipation that the lockdown might be removed before the 6 months, and the process will be suspended.

Hence, if any lockdown is removed shortly before your current expiry date, you might be left with a (minimum) seven day period to book and arrange an MOT.

I think the industry would prefer the rolling period to be greater than 7 days.

I can't vouch for this (but do know the individual it came from) and AFAIK consultation was not complete when this information was passed.

It runs slightly counter to the DVSA info as released, but does appear to have an element of sense to it (though greater than 7 days would be better).

Best to check the final legislation when published.
Last edited by: tyrednemotional on Sat 28 Mar 20 at 17:01
 MoT extension 6 months- COVID-19 - Bromptonaut
Are any of the fast fit places still doing MoT?

Or Council Depots?
 MoT extension 6 months- COVID-19 - Boxsterboy
Just got 2 tyres fitted at ATS who are open as normal for tyres, services and MOTs.
My wife took the B-max down for its MoT at lunchtime; the garage is only about a mile and a half away. The chap rang to ask if we could go earlier as they were now receiving cancellations following the relaxation of the rules; we said we'd plough on with them and get the test done. This was the car's first test and, as one would expect, it passed without problem.

I suspect that as a result of positive actions/reactions during this stressful time, new business/client relationships will be formed.
 Service & MoT cancelled - COVID-19 - No FM2R
>> following the relaxation of the rules;

Did I miss something?
 Service & MoT cancelled - COVID-19 - Manatee
Assume it's a reference to Govt. saying that cars needing MoTs on or after 30 March will have their existing one extended for up to 6 months.

My Mazda needs an MoT by 29 March so is not covered - advice for my situation is to get an MoT! I called in a local MoT station/indy today and they had a slot on Monday 30th so I've booked it in.

He owner told me that what they have actually done is to extend the covered ones by a rolling week, presumably so that if everything opens up sooner they can curtail the extensions.
 Service & MoT cancelled - COVID-19 - No FM2R
>>Assume it's a reference to Govt. saying that cars needing MoTs on or after 30 March will have their existing one extended for up to 6 months.

Ah, got you, that makes sense. Thanks.
"Ah, got you, that makes sense. Thanks."

That was precisely it; sorry, I had gone to get my nosh.
Latest Forum Posts