Motoring Discussion > I was a bad boy today...... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 18

I was a bad boy today...... - Bobby
Since lockdown I have been getting out twice a week to take groceries up to my elderly father. It is a 5 mile journey and I cross above the M8 motorway going from mine to his.

Today I took a wee detour, onto the M8, down to the next junction and back. Felt good and was pleasantly surprised to find how stable the X1 was at 110mph.

Looks like that will be my excitment for another few weeks now.......
 I was a bad boy today...... - Mr Moo
I had to do one junction up the motorway too. I can’t imagine that I’ll be the only person to have the DPF light come on after having done no decent journeys for ages. The car has done several failed regens of late and on leaving home today to head to the supermarket, the light came on.

One junction up the M5 to the next supermarket sorted things out. That’s the first time in ten years of DPF equipped diesels that I’ve ever seen the DPF light. It’s a company car, so I’m not sure who’d pay for a forced regen if the need arose, or as a non-essential worker whether I’d even be able to get that done.
 I was a bad boy today...... - smokie
I went shopping at Tesco for the first time since queueing was introduced, and as it took longer than usual I realised that I needn't bother charging the car myself as the only mileage I am doing is the round trip to Tesco and it will be on their free charger for long enough to replace the used miles. Happy days :-)
 I was a bad boy today...... - zippy
I walked around to the mother in law today.

Not delivering any supplies, just to check she was OK. She only has the phone, no internet.

Went in via the garden gate and sat at the bottom of the 50 yard garden, called her up and froze in the back garden whilst she waved to us from the comfort of being inside the patio doors and we chatted on the phone.

Against the rules, but necessary for her sanity.
Last edited by: zippy on Tue 14 Apr 20 at 00:51
 I was a bad boy today...... - Falkirk Bairn
We have a 30 min chat with a son & granddaughter(s) when the groceries are delivered every 3/4 days. They stand in the garden (dry weather every time so far) and we stand in the utility room - really great to speak to someone other then the other half.

The only difficulty is that he seems to have a lack of understanding of what is written on the shopping list. Bright, he may well be, but 4 pints of milk can yield 4 litres, 500 grams of extra mature cheddar can be 200 grams anything other what was asked ............ mind you we are grateful that he does bring stuff even if it is wrong.

Tuesday - highlight of the week - I take the car for a 8 mile trip to charge the battery & blow away the cobwebs in my head - 3 weeks down maybe 9+ weeks more for us oldies.
 I was a bad boy today...... - sherlock47
Essex Police have little else to do....

www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/local-news/m11-police-speeding-crime-camera-18081103

I was a bad boy today...... - helicopter
I have to confess to driving fastest as I ever reached on the road on a very empty M11 not long after it opened sometime in the late 70's . Company 3.5 Rover reached an indicated 130 mph...
 I was a bad boy today...... - Runfer D'Hills
Around about '82/'83 I think it would have been, a friend bought Tom Walkinshaw's own TWR Jaguar XJS. Red with white wheels, body kit and be-spoilered, loud exhaust etc. So not exactly subtle.

Anyway, he let me have a drive of it very late one night ( or more accurately, very early one summer morning )

Let's just say, it was a spirited run...
 I was a bad boy today...... - Zero
I have to fess up and say I can top Bobbies speed, by quite some margin, but uniquely on the M25 Between J13 and 11 at 16:00 on a weekday!!!!!!!!!
 I was a bad boy today...... - tyrednemotional

>>but uniquely on the M25 Between J13 and 11 at 16:00 on a weekday!!!!!!!!!
>>

....with a shed on the back.....
 I was a bad boy today...... - legacylad
The shed was somewhere between V1 & rotate
>>
>> >>but uniquely on the M25 Between J13 and 11 at 16:00 on a weekday!!!!!!!!!
>> >>
>>
>> ....with a shed on the back.....

No I was a good boy with the shed trip, nailed the speed limiter at 63mph speedo, which is 60mph true. Got it to 60 up the slip road in about 6.5 seconds tho.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 14 Apr 20 at 15:27
I remember when I used to have a 3.0 Omega, a probably overloaded, old fashioned (i.e. weighty) caravan and a heavy right foot being able to almost see the fuel gauge dropping when I booted it like that.

It was neatly offset by the ownership of a company fuel card :-)
 I was a bad boy today...... - No FM2R
>>when I used to have a 3.0 Omega

At one time I was working in Brasil and the posh company Audi I had was torched in a riot. They gave be a 3.0 Omega while they worked out what to do about the Audi. I would never have chosen one, it just looked like a big cavalier. But I loved it. Lots. Dark non-metallic blue which wasn't a great look, but it was absolutely lovely to drive.
 I was a bad boy today...... - No FM2R
Though now I think about it, mine might have been a 2.5l.
 I was a bad boy today...... - Runfer D'Hills
I had a Vauxhall Senator as a company car at one point. Must have been around '92 I'd think. 3.0, 4 speed auto from memory. Went well enough, but it did have a bit of a drink problem.

Never really bonded with it in truth, but if you needed to get somewhere quickly it was certainly up to the job by the standards of the day.
My Omega was the more sporty looking MV6. It was a heavy car bit ran like it was on rails and I loved it. Other than when towing, the other times it guzzled was an indicated sustained 148 mph on the autobahn.

I did get done for 108 in it in the M6 too...
 I was a bad boy today...... - Boxsterboy
>> I have to fess up and say I can top Bobbies speed, by quite some
>> margin, but uniquely on the M25 Between J13 and 11 at 16:00 on a weekday!!!!!!!!!
>>

I thought there were live gantry cameras on that stretch now? And Clarkson proved a few years ago that it is not possible to go too fast for the cameras to register!

>> I thought there were live gantry cameras on that stretch now? And Clarkson proved a
>> few years ago that it is not possible to go too fast for the cameras
>> to register!

Nope. The gantry gatsos never worked properly, and so were taken out of use years ago. They have installed a few HADECS cameras, that are only active when the speed limit is activated, and A/C there is only one just after J15 and one just before J10.
Latest Forum Posts