Computer Related > Laptop Keyboard Failure Computing Issues
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 20

Laptop Keyboard Failure - zippy
The keyboard has died on my laptop.

It’s under warranty and includes accidental damage but nothing has been spilt on it and it’s not been dropped. It was purchased from the manufacturer directly.

Oddly it’s only one row of keys that are not working.

The major manufacturer are useless. Their website confirms the laptop is in warranty but out of support update period (product is 2 years old) so they refuse to do anything with it.

This is the same answer I get on chat and phone with them!

Looks like I am going to have to do a S75 claim with the credit card co.

Why do they have to make things so annoying!?

Laptop Keyboard Failure - Falkirk Bairn
Your contract is with the shop you bought from - back to them as 1st port of call.
Got it directly from the manufacturer!
 Laptop Keyboard Failure - No FM2R
Try publicly making a complaint to them with Twitter.

Things often suddenly get resolved once it becomes public.
And if you don't know how to use Twitter, then now you know what you can do with your convalescence.
 Laptop Keyboard Failure - devonite
Easier and less hasle to buy one off Ebay, and change it yourself! easy enough job!
 Laptop Keyboard Failure - tyrednemotional
>> Try publicly making a complaint to them with Twitter.
>>

If he uses his laptop to post on Twitter, he's going to have to be imaginative with the text of the complaint, otherwise they're only going to get part of it.

;-)
 Laptop Keyboard Failure - Zero
If the middle row is working ok, he can complain to DFLL, Lenovo will be safe.
Name and Shame them, who are they?
 Laptop Keyboard Failure - CGNorwich
i think you are extremely optimistic in thinking any manufacturer will repair a two year old keyboard free of charge.

Basically wear and tear
It’s a Lenovo.

The laptop is a gaming machine purchased with a 3 year RTB warranty including accidental damage. It’s a great machine otherwise, built like a tank - aluminium body, 17 inch display, i7 full version, not “u” and a GTX1070 graphics card.

The keyboard lights up in multiple couloirs - all the colours of the rainbow.

I did think about a diy replacement but that’s only viable if I can source the part and it’s actually a keyboard fault and not the controller on the MB.

I have replaced a laptop screen before but the things are now more difficult to open up nowadays!

To be fair, I got on the blower to them again this morning and got through to someone in the UK who has arranged for a courier to pick it up tomorrow.

Update...

I got my laptop back yesterday. Sprayed the box (not my original Lenovo box it went back in but a new generic box) and opened it today.

The laptop is like new!!! It has been refurbished to a very high standard and despite the serial number sticker being the same number it is a new sticker.

The bottom of the laptop appears to have been totally replaced as all of the little scratches (hard to see anyway on the black rubberised base) have gone.

It was delivered with that peel off factory plastic that iPhones come with on the top and sides.

I am guessing that they swapped the case / keyboard over with one that was in stock then fitted the existing motherboard / drives /screen .

All my software is still intact - I expected it to be gone. I had backed up and removed all personal files before sending it off.

Despite my original faff with them, they have done a very good job!
>> Update...
>>
>> I got my laptop back yesterday. Sprayed the box (not my original Lenovo box it
>> went back in but a new generic box) and opened it today.
>>
>> The laptop is like new!!! It has been refurbished to a very high standard and
>> despite the serial number sticker being the same number it is a new sticker.

Its not your old laptop they never even took your one apart. They did a disk to disk clone, from your one to the new one, printed out a cloned serial number and yours is off to be refurbished in some mega factory
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 20 May 20 at 19:36
>> Its not your old laptop they never even took your one apart. They did a
>> disk to disk clone, from your one to the new one, printed out a cloned
>> serial number and yours is off to be refurbished in some mega factory
>>

Hadn't thought of that possibility.

Surprised that they have stocks of 3 or 4 year old laptops around in stock (even though it was totally top of the range back then). Surely it would be cheaper to replace it with a current spec model that compares or beats the one handed in (though if that were the case laptops would no doubt break more often).

Funnily enough reminds me of an old Paddington Bear story from childhood when he takes £1 note to the bank then a while later goes and gets his £1 note back and is thoroughly disappointed to note that it's not the same note!
Last edited by: zippy on Wed 20 May 20 at 20:35
>>Surprised that they have stocks of 3 or 4 year old laptops around in stock

You think that they wouldn't build extras while the production line was available so that they could cover warranty claims in the future?

Though I agree they ought to be pretty close to the end by now.
It has a service life of about 6 years, so to that end they take the early failures sent back during warranty, fix them, and feed them into the service channel as instant service swap out. That way they only build what they sold, those that break are being recirculated.

Fixing stuff at the point of service is too expensive.

Mean to add, the service replacement you got was not new. It was a reworked one sent back a few months back.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 20 May 20 at 20:57
 Laptop Keyboard Failure - tyrednemotional

>>
>> Mean to add, the service replacement you got was not new. It was a reworked
>> one sent back a few months back.
>>

Indeed. Number one son had to send a top end MSI graphics card back to The Netherlands just within warranty.

What he got back was a virtually indistinguishable from new factory refurb of a previous return (albeit with the same s/n applied as the one he sent in).

With Zippy's laptop, I'm not even sure they'd clone the hard drive (of whatever type). If it was the same SKU/build and as accessible as most/many Lenovo laptop drives, a quick physical swap would probably be in order.
>> >>Surprised that they have stocks of 3 or 4 year old laptops around in stock
>>
>> You think that they wouldn't build extras while the production line was available so that
>> they could cover warranty claims in the future?
>>
>> Though I agree they ought to be pretty close to the end by now.
>>

There are always going to be unsold models but to actually build to hold stock has got to be expensive.

The laptops cost nearly £2k new, but I paid about half that - got it through a work deal at the time.

If they keep a few of each model in stock, inventory costs are going to be huge.
>>The laptops cost nearly £2k new,

Price and cost are quite different, as you know.

>>If they keep a few of each model in stock, inventory costs are going to be huge.

How many base models do they have? Not many I shouldn't think. Don't forget, most things between different models are swappable items; disks, memory, etc. etc.
Considering the laptop was collected on Friday 15th and returned Tuesday 19th that's not a bad turnaround time as it included a weekend, from the south coast to Glenrothes and back.

Out of those 4 days, two were weekends and two were travelling, so what you guys are proposing re the replacement laptop being a switch over makes sense.
Last edited by: zippy on Wed 20 May 20 at 23:29
A gazillion years ago I used to work in PRC (Product Repair Center) for DEC. Obviously not PCs, mostly components actually. Everything received back was recon'd and put on the shelves. And then when a repair was received an existing one was shipped off the shelves in replacement and the new repair sent to recon before getting put in the stockroom- exactly as Zero said.

I know that we did not change the serial numbers across since part of my work at that time was data entering the work - and I could replicate that damned form from memory even all this time later.
Latest Forum Posts