Motoring Discussion > Volvo begins introduction of 112mph speed limit Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 49

Volvo begins introduction of 112mph speed limit - VxFan
Surprised this hasn't had a mention yet, or if it has, I missed it.

Volvo has begun the introduction of a 112mph speed cap for all its cars, with the head of the firm’s Safety Centre saying the move is not about limiting owners, but helping them to be "the best drivers they can possibly be".

The limit will apply to all cars made from mid-2020 onwards and going on sale in 2021.

www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/volvo-begins-introduction-112mph-speed-limit
 Volvo begins introduction of 112mph speed limit - Zero
Almost certainly an extra cost option to remove the restriction will be available.
 Volvo begins introduction of 112mph speed limit - Lygonos
news.sky.com/story/two-men-arrested-after-video-showed-car-going-more-than-200mph-in-west-sussex-12005522
 Volvo begins introduction of 112mph speed limit - legacylad
Testing both their eyesight and speed/distance coordination. They must have been ‘dumb and dumber’ to have posted it online.
 Volvo begins introduction of 112mph speed limit - Kevin
They might need to review their forecast for German sales.
 Volvo begins introduction of 112mph speed limit - PeterS
>> Almost certainly an extra cost option to remove the restriction will be available.
>>

I’m not so sure about that. The Toyota Altezza I had when we lived in Japan was limited to 112mph, as, I think, are all cars on Japanese roads. However they sell derestricted or less restricted versions elsewhere in the world so the limit could safely be removed. But if Volvo limits all its cars to 112 mph then there’s no need to engineer suspension, brakes, wipers, door seals etc etc for higher speeds. Cost saving dressed up as safety I suspect! Removing a limiter in those circumstances could be a bit more risky... Audi will, for around £1,800 lift the 155mph limit on an RS6 to 176mph, but more requires tweaking I think...
 Volvo begins introduction of 112mph speed limit - No FM2R
>>Volvo begins introduction of 112mph speed limit

I can't see any problem with it, but I wonder how often people drive at over 112mph and how many accidents in the world are attributed to it. A tiny amount in the scheme of things I should think.

Far more accidents at 60 in a 30 I expect, and speed limiters won't address that.
 Volvo begins introduction of 112mph speed limit - Fullchat
A few years ago Volvo had a good percentage of the Police Traffic fleet. That slot appears to have been filled by BMW. I wouldn't have thought they would want restricting to 112MPH.
 Volvo begins introduction of 112mph speed limit - Falkirk Bairn
In the past the local Volvo garage always seemed to have Volvo estate cars in for warranty repair ...... that probably explains one of the reasons it's now X5s.
 Volvo begins introduction of 112mph speed limit - jc2
Chevrolet used to sell the Corvette with two sets of keys-one set specially for use when car was being serviced or used by other family members(restricted performance).Most GM garages knew the way around the limiter!
 Volvo begins introduction of 112mph speed limit - No FM2R
>> Chevrolet used to sell the Corvette with two sets of keys-one set specially for use
>> when car was being serviced or used by other family members(restricted performance).Most GM garages knew
>> the way around the limiter!
>>

That was the ZR1, wasn't it? Though I thought it was intended as a guard against valet parkers more than servicing. Damned good idea for family members if one was daft enough to lend the car though.
>> In the past the local Volvo garage always seemed to have Volvo estate cars in
>> for warranty repair ...... that probably explains one of the reasons it's now X5s.

X5's are generally pretty unreliable so they didn't chose them for that reason.

Since the T7 few Volvos are chosen for police work because they aint fast enough, the new estates are impractical in the back (reason one is not on my drive) the XC90's handle like oil tankers,

The big fast car of choice for the police is now the BM 530d, saloon for unmarked stuff, tourer for the other stuff. Fast, handles well, good fuel economy for its speed and size.
 Volvo begins introduction of 112mph speed limit - Lygonos
Up here X5s and Shoguns are usedby the Armed Plod apparently.
We have all sorts down here, some interesting unmarked cars. I was out chasing trains around the time and area of the Russian tourists admiring Salisbury. Ever seen an RS4 estate with covert blue lights, loaded with 4 large blokes with a Worcester registration?

Hampshire police seem to favour unmarked grey 330 saloons on the M3, Surrey have some dark grey metalic RS focuii.
We seem to have quite a lot of VAG stuff as unmarked cars round here, though the marked traffic ones do seem to all be BMWs. A few 3 series as well as 5s though. There a grey S3 and Skoda (Octavia?) you need to watch out for on the A27, as well as a dark blue golf of some kind.
 Volvo begins introduction of 112mph speed limit - Terry
The may be very good business judgement by Volvo.

- their target market do not typically need or want 112mph + cars.
- their are very few places where 112mph is remotely legal

And as already pointed out, it means that tyres, suspension, brakes, engines, gearboxes (actually all the running gear) can be specified smaller, lighter and cheaper.

It may even tick a lot of boxes in the new normal where environmental cred trumps the "I've got the biggest d**k" stakes!
 Volvo begins introduction of 112mph speed limit - Bobby
>>Up here X5s and Shoguns are usedby the Armed Plod apparently

Not sure if its just heresay but I was once told the X5s and Shoguns that were ARVs were differentiated by heavier tinting in the rear doors and boot.
 Volvo begins introduction of 112mph speed limit - Shiny
ARVs have a sticker on the window, a red 5 pointed X
Interesting to know!
BMW certainly see it as lucrative market and target it far more actively than most manufacturers. More for the brand awareness and marketing benefit than profit I’m sure, given how heavily they discount for the police. When I was last (tangentially) involved, the front and back end retailer margin was between 17% and 22%, with importer margin higher still. All of it went to support these type of sales, meaning roughly 50% off retail. Are police forces VAT registered...? I have no idea,..but if so knock that off as well. Though you do have to add on the costs of all the kit... but that’s the same if you add it to a Mondeo or a 5 series I imagine, so why not take the 5 series...?

www.bmw-special-sales.com/content/dam/bmw/common/footer/corporate-direct-sales/bmw-authority-vehicles-verview/authority_vehicles_brochure.pdf.asset.1438266562667.pdf
 Volvo begins introduction of 112mph speed limit - Falkirk Bairn
Police can reclaim VAT.
My go-to trash TV are the traffic police programmes - traffic cops / Police interceptors etc. Even cop car workshop!

All traffic marked cars in these programs seem to be BMW with X5 and 3 series prevalent. In the little "swoosh" that comes up on the screen about the copper, most of them say the 3 series tourer is their preferred choice of car. However they also seem to use unmarked BMW140s, Seat Cupra Estates and VW Golf R hatches.

I noticed yesterday up here in Lanarkshire a 20 plate 5 series estate - first one I have seen here for quite a few years. They have 5 series saloons but most motorway cars are X5s and 3 series.

A couple of annoyances about these programmes and I know there is no "correct answer". The police chase down cars, quite often resulting in damage to the target car and also to the police car. All for a few joints of weed or whatever. At the end of the program they tell you the outcome of the various miscreants and you can't help but think the costs incurred don't tally with the outcomes. But I also realise if they didn't then it would become a free for all.

On the cars, I know they are illegal in this country, but surely it wouldn't take a genius to come up with some sort of retractable bull/nudge bar for the front of the cop cars. Being a BMW owner myself, and having been warned about the costs of LED headlights, sensors etc, I can't help but think measures could be installed to save on the costs of these repairs. Ultimately these costs will be coming out of some overall police budget that could be diverted to plod hours instead. Yes, there may also be issues for the drivers with regard to crumple zones but if the "sue crazy" Americans can do it??

Volvo begins introduction of 112mph speed limit - R.P.
I read this with interest, I thought my V60 T5 was limited to the new Volvo limit. It's going in for some recall work on Weds. I'll ask the guy collecting it whether it is, I'm sure this was mentioned in the sales briefing. I was offered a Polestar re-map for £350 (around half price). Not really worth it with the driving I do (mainly narrow roads).
 Volvo begins introduction of 112mph speed limit - Runfer D'Hills
Driving a Volvo fast is of course possible, some models are even set up to encourage it. But really RP, I'm sure you're aware that a decent sort of chap just shouldn't, indeed wouldn't, do that. Same with Mercs, we leave that sort of thing to the sort of fellows who choose BMWs and Corsas etc.

It's a bit like slip on shoes, we are all aware of their existence, but thankfully, most of us recognise their impropriety.

;-)
>> It's a bit like slip on shoes, we are all aware of their existence, but
>> thankfully, most of us recognise their impropriety.

I have yet to see a pair of tassel loafers with laces.

From the very fast BMW (you know, the car with real exhaust pipes not fake ones) driver

(tho to be fair when not in oxblood tassle loafers I am oft now seen in lace up Hotters)

(oh and I have just bought my first pair of crocs)
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 13 Jun 20 at 20:44
Good Lord...
 Volvo begins introduction of 112mph speed limit - CGNorwich
'oh and I have just bought my first pair of crocs'

In the name of God, why?
>> 'oh and I have just bought my first pair of crocs'
>>
>> In the name of God, why?

Apparently its the footwear of choice around the caravan site.
 Volvo begins introduction of 112mph speed limit - smokie
You gonna get some tats next?
>> You gonna get some tats next?

I have another one planned, yes. Tat studios are closed tho.
 Volvo begins introduction of 112mph speed limit - sooty123
>> >> You gonna get some tats next?
>>
>> I have another one planned, yes. Tat studios are closed tho.
>>

i.pinimg.com/736x/9f/53/8a/9f538adee3e298a2f10725518a2d64cf.jpg

Wow. Thats the one. (replacing the volvo with the beemer of course)
 Volvo begins introduction of 112mph speed limit - tyrednemotional
....all you need now is a tall pole with a set of flashing fairy lights and you'll be a fully-fledged tugger....

;-)
I have an event pole with a flying pink pig that I used for my tent at dog shows.
>> I have an event pole with a flying pink pig that I used for my
>> tent at dog shows.
>>

Caravan, event pole, you'll be into reenactment societies next.

>> Caravan, event pole, you'll be into reenactment societies next.

Always fancied being an SS-Obersturmbannführer, such a smart uniform. And you rarely get muddy in that role
I'd have you down as roman legionnaire, xiii legion and all that.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 14 Jun 20 at 19:45
>> I'd have you down as roman legionnaire, xiii legion and all that.

God no, leather jackboots over sandals every time. And marching 30 miles a day? not for me, I'll take the Kübelwagen
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 14 Jun 20 at 11:23
Staff car surely?
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 14 Jun 20 at 19:46
>>
>> Staff car surely?

Bit of a target for marauding spitfires. Not only do you need to avoid mud, keeping out of harms way is important
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 14 Jun 20 at 11:33
 Volvo begins introduction of 112mph speed limit - R.P.
Always fancied being an SS-Obersturmbannführe

......in Crocs....

By the way Zero have you watched Das Boot on Sky. Second series was far better than the first.
>> I have an event pole with a flying pink pig that I used for my
>> tent at dog shows.
>>

....classy...
 Volvo begins introduction of 112mph speed limit - smokie
"a fully-fledged tugger"

Sounds like a euphemism to me!! :-)
Just to be clear, tassel loafers are for Americans, Hotters are for elderly Daily Mail readers and Crocs are indeed for caravanists.

It'll be fleeces and football jerseys next. Mark my words.

;-)
>> Hotters are for elderly Daily Mail
>> readers

tell me about it, I made the mistake of going into a hotters shop for my first pair, the female clientele there had so many varicose veins on view it was like an ordnance survey map shop.

However, I dont know why or how, they are the most extraordinarily comfortable shoes in existence. I have a gortex pair I use at dog shows, my heelwork gait improved immensely, with a subsequent marked improvement in show scores.

I can now buy them online, knowing their size and fit is consistent, and avoid the old ladies with bunions.

>>
>> Sounds like a euphemism to me!! :-)
>>

.. terminology used advisedly..

;-)
 Volvo begins introduction of 112mph speed limit - CGNorwich
These are rather classy
www.standard.co.uk/news/world/kfc-crocs-fried-chicken-platforms-footwear-shoes-a4361736.html
 Volvo begins introduction of 112mph speed limit - zippy
>> These are rather classy
>> www.standard.co.uk/news/world/kfc-crocs-fried-chicken-platforms-footwear-shoes-a4361736.html
>>

Tasty, surely?
Zero wouldn't wear those....he'd be too chicken...

;-)
 Volvo begins introduction of 112mph speed limit - legacylad
I don’t have many pairs of footwear, just the right sort for the right job.
Havaianas for beach and warm weather and indoor cold tiles floors in Espana. I’ve tried cheapo flip flops but they don’t last... Teva Hurricane XLT sandals for hot weather ( now on my third pair), Hoka One One Stinson Trail shoes (again on my third pair, lasting approx 8 months) for 90% of my trail walking, Sportiva Nepal Top for serious winter wear, 2 pairs of VANS for summer evenings, 3 pairs of Loakes & Barkers ( Black, tan and dark blue) for more dressed up occasions and when going out with the fairer sex ( they notice these things).
Most of them will last me out.
The footwear, not the....
Last edited by: legacylad on Sun 14 Jun 20 at 13:18
Latest Forum Posts