Non-motoring > Reading Stabbings Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 32

Reading Stabbings - No FM2R
Shocking the impact that one inadequate psycho can cause.

However, never an opportunity missed;

"Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer has said that "people are united in their grief" following the attack, and that he wants to speak to the prime minister to discuss how to "learn from this.""

"United in their grief"?? FFS, bad though it is, it's just three people unknown to the rest of the country which has suffered 40,000 COVID-19 deaths. What a drama queen.

And it's quite amazing how often he finds space to say ""This is not a time for party politics," just before starting on exactly that.

Aren't politicians a truly unpleasant bunch of people?

www.bbc.com/news/uk-53129046
 Reading Stabbings - CGNorwich
I suppose he could have said”” just another inadequate psycho. Four deaths are nothing to worry about.” The public would be to fine with that.
So you believe that the country is united in its grief? Don't be silly.

Does anyone really feel grief for the death of people they don’t personally know? Probably not, Does the public expect public figures to say so. No.
 Reading Stabbings - Bromptonaut
>> Does anyone really feel grief for the death of people they don’t personally know? Probably
>> not, Does the public expect public figures to say so. No.

Perhaps grief is not the right word, maybe sympathy would be better, but the public (or at least their mouthpieces in the media) expect something.

If Starmer simply stayed silent then he'd be in the news in negative way.
'sympathy' would have been much better. But his statement was motivated by politics and a lust for media soundbites, not genuine feeling.

Neither did I say, or believe, that he should have remained silent.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sun 21 Jun 20 at 21:02
Mark,

Roles reversed, what would you have expected The Rt Hon Boris Johnson, Leader of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition, to have said.
Simon,

Unlike you, the political persuasion of the person does not sway my opinion of what is said. I have no more nor less time for Johnson than I have for Starmer.

I would have no time for such a dramatic statement whoever made it.

Party politics are not my thing.

Last edited by: No FM2R on Sun 21 Jun 20 at 21:00
>> Simon,
>>
>> Unlike you, the political persuasion of the person does not sway my opinion of what
>> is said.

Right now, over events in Reading, I'm not thinking politically.

The question is: How should a Leader of the Opposition react to that event?
>> I'm not thinking politically.

My a***. Your opinions are *always* driven by party politics.

What was all this b******* quoted below? Making it party political as if I would have a different opinion depending on who was Leader of the Opposition?

"....The Rt Hon Boris Johnson, Leader of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition...."
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sun 21 Jun 20 at 21:14
>> >> I'm not thinking politically.
>>
>> My a***. Your opinions are *always* driven by party politics.

To me that's a lazy answer. I agree sympathy might be a better word than grief but I'm still looking for a definitive answer as to what should be said.

And you're accusing Starmer of politics from the get go; I'm not convinced your position is any less political than mine.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 21 Jun 20 at 21:22

>> To me that's a lazy answer.

So what?

>> I'm still looking for a definitive answer as to what should be said.

Enjoy your hunt. Don't expect me to do it for you. I still don't like the dramatic and ridiculous statement Starmer did make.

>> I'm not convinced your position is any less political than mine.

And after all this time you still believe that your opinion of, or lack of conviction in, my position is of any relevance to me?

As it happens, what I said was that I don't do *party* politics. I find believing or not believing in one person or a group of people, and blindly supporting everything they say or do, simply because of their membership of a particular political party to be utterly ridiculous.
 Reading Stabbings - zippy
Really!?

Three people have been killed in a lone wolf terrorist and you're arguing over semantics!

Reading Stabbings - R.P.
Heroic actions from an unarmed patrolling Police Officer.
 Reading Stabbings - bathtub tom
A comment from another resident in the block of flats where the knifeman lived along the lines of:
"He seemed a normal guy when we sat and smoked pot together".
 Reading Stabbings - legacylad
Shame someone didn’t slit his throat with his own knife. Blokes a waste of organs.
 Reading Stabbings - Dog
>>Shame someone didn't slit his throat with his own knife. Blokes a waste of organs.

+1
>> Heroic actions from an unarmed patrolling Police Officer.

Absolutely.
And members of the public who went to help the injured!
 Reading Stabbings - Fullchat
See Amazon are pedaling 'Blue Lives Murder' T shirts. Very responsible.

tinyurl.com/y8htzojd
Last edited by: R.P. on Mon 22 Jun 20 at 21:55
 Reading Stabbings - smokie
Did you report to Amazon? I'm in the middle of doing so over their chat but the more the merrier.

EDIT: their response just came in

"I have reported this item and requested that the item be removed from the website. This will be investigated. Thank you for bring this to our attention and I am sorry for any upset caused."
Last edited by: smokie on Mon 22 Jun 20 at 13:39
 Reading Stabbings - Zero
>> Did you report to Amazon? I'm in the middle of doing so over their chat
>> but the more the merrier.
>>
>> EDIT: their response just came in
>>
>> "I have reported this item and requested that the item be removed from the website.
>> This will be investigated. Thank you for bring this to our attention and I am
>> sorry for any upset caused."

Well done sir.
 Reading Stabbings - Fullchat
Yes well done. Also reported. Caused quite a stir among the police community who pretty much accept a lot of criticism and abuse but there is a line.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Mon 22 Jun 20 at 16:48
>> Yes well done. Also reported. Caused quite a stir among the police community who pretty
>> much accept a lot of criticism and abuse but there is a line.

And (even) I would agree that line is crossed. Might have some traction in some parts of the US but not here.
 Reading Stabbings - Manatee

>> Aren't politicians a truly unpleasant bunch of people?

I might have said "grief" was a simple mis-speak, but he said it three times. Those directly affected, yes. Nationally, no. As far as speaking to the PM is concerned, why? Just let the police do their thing before deciding there is anything that needs fixing.

Starmer overdid it, both as to the national grief and the need for cross party blah blah. I say that as somebody with political views probably very similar to Bromp's.

I think you can get "national grief" as happened with Diana but most people's inward reaction to incidents like Reading is that they are glad it wasn't them or their family, and didn't happen in their town. The more thoughtful will then feel and might express sympathy for those affected.

"We are all shocked by this, we must allow the police to do what they need to do, our thoughts are very much with those affected. Thank you" would have done the job.

Reading Stabbings - Terry
Totally agree with the sentiment re politicians.

Express sympathy for family and friends - if asked would be a reasonable response

Grief stricken - a complete nonsense

But had he said anything else the media would paint him an uncaring monster.

So we have politicians who are effectively the product of a media intent on maximising profit using sensationalism at the expense decent objective jounalism.

And a public, most of whom are incapable of independent thought, that take their cue from what the media present them.

The very sad thing about it all which inhibits change is that the media control the tools to change public opinion, and they would use that control in defence of any denial of press freedom.

Reading Stabbings - Zero
There is always the trump response.

"Bad bad thing, by bad - really bad people". "ummm". "left wing democrat people"
 Reading Stabbings - Zero
Dont go off on one or blame Starmer, he's new at this game, trying to be a bit keen, a bit over sincere.

He'll learn, quickly, - I mean picture the scene

Ring Ring

"Hello, Citizens advice Northampton Branch"

"Simon, good to talk to you, how do you think I was over the weekend"

"Keir, Sir, not bad, not bad, It was a a bit over the top tho, need to tone it down a tad, Grief was a bit insincere, well, Mark says it was right over the top actually"

"Mark? the boy from Brazil who hates everyone?"

"Chile actually, but yeah him"

"Ok I'll do regret and sympathies next time, with some "working with Gov to ensure we stop it"

"do the "constructively working" with Gov"

"Ok Cheers Simon, till next time, stay safe keep social distancing"

"That why I do remote telephone work Keir, Bye now Sir"

Click.

>> "Mark? the boy from Brazil who hates everyone?"
>>
>> "Chile actually, but yeah him"
>>
>> "Ok I'll do regret and sympathies next time, with some "working with Gov to ensure
>> we stop it"
>>
>> "do the "constructively working" with Gov"
>>
>> "Ok Cheers Simon, till next time, stay safe keep social distancing"
>>

That quite funny actually.....
>> There is always the trump response.
>>
>> "Bad bad thing, by bad - really bad people". "ummm". "left wing democrat people"
>>

PRESIDENTIAL HARASSMENT!
>> But had he said anything else the media would paint him an uncaring monster.

Given he used the same words three times one is inclined to think they were used with consideration which would fit with Terry's theory. Perhaps there's a sort ranking as to the lwording used in these sort of comments. I've not yet seen what Pritit Patel said in the Commons today.

It's also true that the extreme right are making most of the fact that victims were white to oppose Black Lives Matter.

I've a Facebook acquaintance who regularly posts 'Leave.EU' stuff. Now it's not clear what Leave.EU is actually for these days as we've left but it seems to have adapted to other causes including trying to prove George Floyd's record was such as to imply that he deserved it, defending Churchill's statue as if it was really under threat etc etc.

Yesterday's effort was around English Lives Matter and migration/Asylum policy.

That's far from the worst. There is a cohort out there who genuinely believe Powell's prediction of the black man having the whip hand has come to pass.
 Reading Stabbings - Robin O'Reliant
We tend to over emphasise terrorist attacks, the same weekend a father and his two children were killed by a driver who was over the drink drive limit and that passed without comment from the commentators or politicians. Considering the annual road deaths total is umpteen times higher than all terrorist casualties, fatal or not, we need to keep a sense of perspective.
>>Drink driving

As with the introduction of seatbelts as a lifesaving requirement, perhaps it’s time (reluctantly) to introduce electronic breathalysers between the key and ignition system.

I have had two friends/ acquaintances killed by drunk or drug drivers in the last 12 months.

One last October. He hit our friend who was on his cycle and subsequently crashed his van so was caught.

Second earlier this month, off duty police officer on his cycle. Assumed drunk as didn’t stop and reports of driver swerving all over the road. He was driving his van on the wrong side of the road and hit the cyclist head on at about 50mph! b******!
Latest Forum Posts