Computer Related > Passwords Computing Issues
Thread Author: neiltoo Replies: 8

Passwords - tyrednemotional
I had a friend who was trying to help someone with a similar problem.

I tested Ophcrack, and then talked him through the process. It worked for him (even on WIN7, where technically it shouldn't).

It cracks and reveals the password in a very large number of cases.

If you have another machine, a USB drive, and the ACER will boot from USB (Google reveals this is probable), and you aren't daunted by the prospect, then you might want to give it a try.

The details can be found on this page (amongst others).

www.isumsoft.com/windows-xp/windows-xp-forgot-admin-password-unlock-with-free-tools.html#1

(I downloaded Ophcrack from the site referenced there, I used "rufus" from rufus.ie/ to burn it to a USB ISO).

In rufus, when you run it, select the Ophcrack ISO from above as the “Boot Selection” (it will give you an option of USB to burn to, which may, of course, be a single option if only one inserted).

You then need to boot the laptop from this USB. You’ll have to manipulate BIOS setting (or find the startup Fn key that gives boot device options - F12 for an Acer probably) AND, before you go into BIOS settings, make sure the bootable USB is inserted or it won’t appear as an option (In "removable devices"?).

The instructions on the above page imply everything will be done automatically when you boot from the USB - it is worth giving that a try, but I have notes that (at least how I invoked it) I had to "load" a cracking table manually. If that turns out to be a requirement, I have some sketchy notes from an email to my friend.

It took but a few seconds to reveal the password in both cases (you can then logon normally with that password).

Messages Author Date
 Passwords new neiltoo 16 Aug 20 21:00
 Passwords new Robin O'Reliant 16 Aug 20 21:59
 Passwords new No FM2R 16 Aug 20 22:44
 Passwords new No FM2R 16 Aug 20 22:54
 Passwords new neiltoo 17 Aug 20 09:12
 Passwords new tyrednemotional 17 Aug 20 10:17
 Passwords new Zero 17 Aug 20 11:52
 Passwords new tyrednemotional 17 Aug 20 12:48
 Passwords new Zero 17 Aug 20 11:57
Latest Forum Posts