Motoring Discussion > Bye bye Barbie ? Buying / Selling
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 20

Bye bye Barbie ? - legacylad
So, routine safety recall yesterday at my local Porsche dealer, Parker’s in Kendal, the usual exemplary friendly efficient service, as it should be, and I took the opportunity to get a ‘buy back’ valuation.
Obviously not a smart move financially buying new and selling after 3 years, but decent residuals % wise. Even with Covid my circumstances have changed over the past 3 years. Then I spent probably 15 weeks away from home, now it’s nearer 25, with extended periods currently in Spain, and further afield with my US friends in the mid term.
I won’t be bothering with the extended porsche warranty, £800 or £1440 for 2 years. Insurance, future depreciation and mpg isn’t an issue, but I could release some equity from Barbie to spend on overseas trips before I croak.
More importantly I need a mid size estate with that all important sunroof, half decent fun to drive and not too much of the boy racer looks !
And I’ll be keeping the next car more than 3 years.
Last edited by: legacylad on Sat 22 Aug 20 at 13:09
 Bye bye Barbie ? - Runfer D'Hills
3 series Touring, or C class estate. Neither would be wrong.
Or Focus ST estate....either full fat 2.3, or the 1.5 with only 180 donkeys.
That’s my short list of 3.
Now..reliability.
Should all be ok, you'd think.
Or, Octavia VRS estate, if you trust the gearboxes. Not sure if I do yet.
I’ve discounted all VAG autoboxes as the next car will be a keeper. Rightly or wrongly I’m not convinced of their long term reliability.
Shame because the A4 Avant could be shortlisted, but all larger engined higher powered variants have the autoboxes, and the 1.4 doesn’t have sufficient oomph.
New improved interior Octavia imminent, but suspect the Vrs will be autobox only.
 Bye bye Barbie ? - Clk Sec
>> Now..reliability.

And longevity. Not sure about the donkeys, but the Mazda6 estate might be worth a gander.
 Bye bye Barbie ? - PeterS
The problem is a mid sized, mid spec premium car with a bit of performance is rather pricey now. Will you free up enough equity to make it worthwhile? I’d be tempted by a C43 Estate I think ;) Or more sensibly a petrol 3 series which whichever engine gave me enough performance, with the lowest trim level available (I have a feeling SE is limited to the smaller engines, but could be wrong). But I imagine even then you’re looking at north of £40k (pre discount) with a couple of options. Keep the one you’ve got...? It’s barely been used after all!!
I’d be buying second hand. Probably 12/18 months old. Let someone else suffer the depreciation this time....C Class 1.5 engined available in low £20ks, half decent performance, engine unknown quantity for me, but optional air suspension recommended.
Or the BMW 2.0 (328 ?) with sunroof & autobox could fit the bill.
I could see you with a 3 series over all of them. You liked your 3 series convertible. Plenty of choice of good engines too.
 Bye bye Barbie ? - R.P.
Get yourself into a G20 BMW Touring. Lovely cars...can't really go wrong.
 Bye bye Barbie ? - Zero
>> Get yourself into a G20 BMW Touring. Lovely cars...can't really go wrong.

G20 BMW M340i Touring is the only car you ever need

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcQvn44u4og
 Bye bye Barbie ? - No FM2R
>>Probably 12/18 months old.

Why? If you want your money out then get your money out properly.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202006180271800

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202008212769260
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 22 Aug 20 at 19:46
>> I’d be buying second hand. Probably 12/18 months old. Let someone else suffer the depreciation
>> this time....C Class 1.5 engined available in low £20ks, half decent performance, engine unknown quantity
>> for me, but optional air suspension recommended.
>> Or the BMW 2.0 (328 ?) with sunroof & autobox could fit the bill.
>>

Do the petrol ones have a 1.5 engine? Sounds like a Renault engine to me... I’ve had a few C180 (petrol) hire cars over the years and they’ve been surprisingly brisk, as well as economical. You do at least have a chance of finding one with a sunroof, as the ‘premium plus’ pack includes a sunroof, and a reasonable number are spec’ed with that pack. I imagine trying to find a BMW 3 series with a sunroof is a challenge...expensive as a a standalone option?
 Bye bye Barbie ? - R.P.
My 2016 F30 Touring had a Panoramic sun-roof, it was an ex BMW car and had the most odd Accessories - neither car here now has a sunroof, no loss really !
Left field choice is the i30N Fastback. Shame it’s not available in the estate body, but a lot of ooomph for your £, and a 5 year warranty.
There appear to be no Focus estates, either 3 or 4 cyl ST with a sunroof, which is a deal breaker. Nor a C class estate in Hyacinth Red, or a 3 series in Mineral Grey with Coral red interior.

An afternoon with friends in their splendid garden beckons. I’ll try not to fall into either of their two ponds after too much light refreshment is taken. It’s dangerous territory.
So another, somewhat unexpected, 5 weeks now planned in Spain. More friends arriving tomorrow. I should be out of quarantine a few days before Christmas, three weeks to do what I need, then return to Spain for 3 months.
And come a vaccine there’ll be no stopping me.....
No point keeping an expensive piece of machinery at home in the garage, depreciating albeit on a reducing curve, so I need to make a decision.
I’m increasingly tempted with a Focus estate as a long term keeper. 12/24 months old, probably the 4 pot 1.5 with either 150/180 horses. Must be a manual and have a sunroof !
You should drive it to Spain and use it :)
>> You should drive it to Spain and use it :)
Abso(blinking)lutely !
 Bye bye Barbie ? - MD
Volvo xc 70. My mate got a cracker for 3k. Why waste more dough. If it fails then chuck it.
You should have seen the rough dirt road we drove up today. Fortunately we car shared and my rental was left at our meeting place.
On one rough section the passengers got out and walked a short section. Unfortunately the newish Pug 2008 grounded and the sill all along one side got badly damaged.
Unsurprisingly on today’s 18km walk, cutting back with loppers and secateurs as we went, we only met one other walker. Rough inhospitable country. Which is what we like. Any haemophiliacs would have needed a blood transfusion at day’s end.
Latest Forum Posts