Non-motoring > BBC sensationalism Company Cars
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 13

BBC sensationalism - No FM2R

This is exactly the sort of s*** that annoys me about the BBC....

Their front page headline;

British chip designer ARM sold to US firm Nvidia

The title; (note the addition of the word "based")

UK-based chip designer sold to Nvidia

and in the text...

"....owner, Japanese conglomerate Softbank"

www.bbc.com/news/technology-54142567

BBC sensationalism - Manatee
I am a big supporter of BBC News against which there seems to be a coordinated social media campaign, but I can't see a problem with that however hard I try.

The headline is now "UK tech firm ARM sold to America's NVIDIA for $40bn." and below that "The new owner of the Cambridge-based chip designer has promised to keep its headquarters in the UK", so maybe others agreed with you and complained.

To me the emerging problems with the BBC all flow from the ceaseless accusations of bias - they seem to be trying too hard to be uncontroversial.

The bias I do see (and there is always a bias because any source selects what it reports) is very much a BBC one rather than (for example) a pro-Labour or pro-Conservative one.
Last edited by: Manatee on Mon 14 Sep 20 at 10:03
 BBC sensationalism - Falkirk Bairn
£40Bn and to think it started with a few people upgrading / building a new Acorn machine to supercede the old BBC B micro that people bought in the late 70's/80's to a new machine using a RISC processor (Reduced Instruction Set Computing).
 BBC sensationalism - Crankcase
I was in that BBC/Acorn/Arm/Torch world at the time (early eighties).

One of our secretaries went to work for Arm, right at the beginning. She got some stock options on joining and was a millionaire within a couple of years.

BBC sensationalism - Zero
>>
>> This is exactly the sort of s*** that annoys me about the BBC....

Only you could throw a rant about possibly the most reliable and unbiased news journalistic source in the world, its an innocuous piece to rant about to boot.

Do us a favour, dont read, watch or listen to the BBC again. get your news and information from Fox.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 14 Sep 20 at 13:42
I entirely agree that the BBC is not biased in any particular direction, other than, as Manatee mentioned, towards itself.

What it is though is sensationalist, often to the point of being misleading and often seeking to incite, or at least facilitate, emotional outcry.
 BBC sensationalism - Bromptonaut
I know The Guardian has a liberal/left focus but there's an article today that seems to give a reasonably honest take on the purchase and what it might mean going forward:

www.theguardian.com/business/2020/sep/14/arm-holdings-sale-nvidia-uk-us-security-job-losses
 BBC sensationalism - sherlock47
Interestingly the G article makes no reference to the issue of once you are a subsidiary of an American company you can be prevented from exporting goods to anywhere that Trump does not like.

They currently supply chips to China - what happens next?
>> Interestingly the G article makes no reference to the issue of once you are a
>> subsidiary of an American company you can be prevented from exporting goods to anywhere that
>> Trump does not like.

You dont need to be American owned to be subject to a US embargo. Sell to china, you could suddenly be on the embargo list and unable to do business with American companies or in America.

>> What it is though is sensationalist, often to the point of being misleading and often
>> seeking to incite, or at least facilitate, emotional outcry.

Based on your rant I guess you are an expert.
Guess so.
"Covid-19: New fear grips Europe as cases top 30m worldwide

www.bbc.com/news/world-54199825

You all seem remarkably chipper for people 'gripped by fear'
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 18 Sep 20 at 15:21
 BBC sensationalism - tyrednemotional
....aaaah, but we're not in Europe now......

(except geographically speaking, of course ;-) )
 BBC sensationalism - Bromptonaut
>> You all seem remarkably chipper for people 'gripped by fear'

It would be fair to say that Mrs B is, if not gripped, then certainly heavily pre-occupied by the prospect of lockdown #2. Looks as though the Merseyside precautions will stuff our planned visit to Southport Caravan Club site to spend time with our son - his birthday is 14/10. She's cut up about that.

We're economically secure mortgage free with two good pensions etc. So are a lot of us on here. Not true in the world out there.

I wonder how many employers are starting redundancy consultations; the deadline to start them and 'let people go' when furlough scheme ends is any day now.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 18 Sep 20 at 16:07
Latest Forum Posts