Non-motoring > Anglian Water - Well Done Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 9

Anglian Water - Well Done - Bromptonaut
I was sure there was a previous Anglian Water thread here but when I located it it turned out to be hidden. Another bunfight presumably. Since I cannot append this story to that thread it'll have to stand alone......

Approximately a year ago Mrs B and I became aware of a hissing noise in the kitchen. Couldn't relate it to any appliance and turning off water or gas (unlikely latter as no smell) made no difference. Eventually, both of us with our ears at floor level, we traced it to the void below the sink unit installed in late 2018 as part of a kitchen renewal. At the time they'd relocated the main stop cock, messed up by the original builder so it came up the middle of the cupboard, and provided a second one on the back wall.

I could not get the 'kick board' off to examine further so requested help from the kitchen company. They got a guy out quickly (he lives in the village and MRs B had taught him. Initially he was sceptical but as soon as the kick board was off it was apparent that water was spraying from the point where the original stop cock met the supply.

Plumber round in under an hour and it was fixed. No damage - escaping water had gone into the void below the subfloor - and thought no more about it.

Then last week we got a water bill for £800!!. Metered supply and water flowing at rate of a tap half open; should have been obvious at time that there would be an effect.

On Friday I made an on line application to AW for a leakage allowance. Needed a meter reading (there's a whole other story about ants in the meter's space) which, together with their agent's reading in August gave us a consumption figure for around 5 weeks.

I'd come across leakage allowances before while working with AW customers and suspected I'd be either refused or at least hit with a request for 'Further and Better Particulars'.

On Saturday morning I had an email giving a leakage allowance of £450!!!. Cleared the deficit and put my account in credit. Monthly payment reduced to £15.

So full marks to AW.
 Messages Author Date
 Anglian Water - Well Done new Bromptonaut 14 Sep 20 12:05
 Anglian Water - Well Done new sherlock47 14 Sep 20 12:45
 Anglian Water - Well Done new Bromptonaut 14 Sep 20 13:04
 Anglian Water - Well Done new Bromptonaut 14 Sep 20 14:05
 Anglian Water - Well Done new No FM2R 14 Sep 20 14:18
 Anglian Water - Well Done new sherlock47 14 Sep 20 14:22
 Anglian Water - Well Done new Bromptonaut 14 Sep 20 15:00
 Anglian Water - Well Done new Manatee 14 Sep 20 18:44
 Anglian Water - Well Done new R.P. 14 Sep 20 19:30
 Anglian Water - Well Done new zippy 14 Sep 20 20:57