Non-motoring > Workmen and work Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 9

Workmen and work - smokie
This is such a generalisation it will soon be blown apart - and is somewhat tic - but...

I engaged two workmen for some work in my garden for one day. Apart from being a bit late turning up, if they'd spent a bit less time standing chatting to each other and on their respective phones they could have pretty much been away by lunchtime.

I've just watched three blokes doing the front fascias and guttering on the house over the road. Again, chat, phone, chat, phone. And they still were easily gone by 3.

Next time you go past significant road works where there are actually workers to see (as opposed to unattended, which I know can happen for all kinds of reasons) just look how many of the gang are actually exerting themselves and how many are watching him (!!).

I've had Virgin attending a problem at my house regularly during lockdown. Each time they have not been furnished with the background and preceding visit info and have wanted to start again by doing what's already been done (same when I call them, we always start by powering the box off and on).

I'm too used to seeing it now but the country could probably save millions a year with better productivity, especially on large public projects...
 Workmen and work - Crankcase
My plumber and (occasional) gardener spend a long time here. Both like a chat, coffee and so on. However, in both cases they charge for hours of work done, not hours on site.

Which is nice.

Workmen and work - sooty123
>> This is such a generalisation it will soon be blown apart - and is somewhat
>> tic - but...
>>
>> I engaged two workmen for some work in my garden for one day. Apart from
>> being a bit late turning up, if they'd spent a bit less time standing chatting
>> to each other and on their respective phones they could have pretty much been away
>> by lunchtime.
>

You know the answer for next time ;-)

>> Next time you go past significant road works where there are actually workers to see
>> (as opposed to unattended, which I know can happen for all kinds of reasons) just
>> look how many of the gang are actually exerting themselves and how many are watching
>> him (!!).

Those brews don't drink themselves you know.
 Workmen and work - france - sherlock47
The french work ethic makes the uk worker look good!

however the Moroccan that I use for garden work just does not stop, and in temperatures of over 30C! He is more suited to forest clearance than the finer skills of horticulture but as long as you watch him nothing to disastrous happens.
He turns up early (F never), is always working ,(F never) and takes about 20 min for lunch, (F 2hrs min).
My biggest complaint is that however many times I ask him to fill builders bags only half full, he fills them full and bear hugs them to move towards the car. If we are not immediately decheterie bound we have to unload and distribute them to other sacks as we cannot (between us) lift them into the car.

And all for 14 € an hour.

Just do not get going on the French concept of customer service.
 Workmen and work - france - No FM2R
>>He turns up early (F never), is always working ,(F never) and takes about 20 min for lunch, (F 2hrs min).

Out here we call that the first day.

>>Again, chat, phone, chat, phone.

And that every subsequent day.

Until after about a week they just don't show up anymore.
 Workmen and work - CGNorwich
The average tradesman’s productivity is undoubtedly well ahead of the average office worker’s either in the private or public sector. I suspect home working and furlough have revealed to many employers how over staffed many offices actually are.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Mon 14 Sep 20 at 18:39
 Workmen and work - Robin O'Reliant
>> The average tradesman’s productivity is undoubtedly well ahead of the average office worker’s either in
>> the private or public sector. I suspect home working and furlough have revealed to many
>> employers how over staffed many offices actually are.
>>

I'll agree with that. Wandering into any offices in places I've either worked or had to visit saw half the staff chatting about non work related stuff or standing round the drinks machine similarly engaged.

If anyone tells them to get off their backsides and do something they then whine on their Facebook or whatever accounts about "Management bullying".
 Workmen and work - R.P.
There was some re-surfacing going on on the main road at the end of our lane. As I emerged out of the junction one afternoon, there was a worker flat out on his back seemingly asleep. Not even on his phone...!
 Workmen and work - No FM2R
>> I suspect home working and furlough have revealed to many employers how over staffed many offices actually are.

I doubt it. The people who might have noticed are the people that are usually in charge of these people. They'll like having their large, status giving departments and haven't ever worried about productivity before.
 Workmen and work - zippy
Now Germany is where it’s at.

Absolutely no private mobiles to be used in the office.

No private web and chit chat kept to lunch or coffee breaks.

I’ll never forget the Fraulein leaning over the desk to pass a batch of documents over to see she was only wearing the summer dress and nothing else!
Latest Forum Posts