Non-motoring > COVID-19 test Car Deals
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 20

COVID-19 test - No FM2R
I had to have one this morning, and this is exactly the sort of thing that makes me nervous, especially given all the scary stories I'd heard.

Well it's trivial. Very quick, very simple and the swabs are so long and flexible that you barely feel a thing.

So if you have to have one, then there's nothing to be even vaguely concerned about.

I guess people just like telling dramatic and scary stories.
 COVID-19 test - CGNorwich
Good I’ve just signed up for a Government research program that involves a swab test to be taken every week for a month and then every month for the rest of the year. 16 tests in all.

COVID-19 test - No FM2R
>> Good I’ve just signed up for a Government research program that involves a swab test
>> to be taken every week for a month and then every month for the rest
>> of the year. 16 tests in all.

Good for you. And it really is as trivial as I say, I cannot imagine that it will bother you in any way.
 COVID-19 test - Duncan
>> Good I’ve just signed up for a Government research program that involves a swab test
>> to be taken every week for a month and then every month for the rest
>> of the year. 16 tests in all.

It's no good.

I can't get the maths to work?

I can get to, perhaps, 7. How do you make it 16?
 COVID-19 test - No FM2R

>> >> to be taken every week for a month

So 4, possibly 5.

>>>> then every month for rest of the year.

So, 11

>>16 tests in all.

Am I missing something?
 COVID-19 test - Lygonos
>> Am I missing something?

I presume Dunc interpreted "for the rest of the year" as to December 2020.

Done properly the nasopharyngeal swab should make your eyes water (goes 4" to back of the throat via your beak) but there is some evidence a mid-nasal swab is as reliable and more comfortable.
 COVID-19 test - Duncan

>> I presume Dunc interpreted "for the rest of the year" as to December 2020.

He did, indeed.
 COVID-19 test - sherlock47
>>Done properly the nasopharyngeal swab should make your eyes water<<

If not done properly presumable it accounts for the large number of negative results from home testing?
 COVID-19 test - James Loveless
I had to have one a few weeks ago, prior to admission to hospital for an investigation.

Sticking the wand in the back of my mouth and rubbing my tonsils with it made me gag, but pushing it up my nose wasn't a problem - certainly not as intrusive as the nasal endoscopy I had a few years ago.

I had no idea some people are making a song and dance out of it - very unhelpful. As NoF says, it's pretty trivial.
It’s a bit like the lurid tales that people tell about giving blood which is actually a minor and painless process. People like to dramatise their lives. We all do it to an extent.
 COVID-19 test - Zero
Ive had 6 so far, the triviality varies around who is doing the test and how far they shove the thing and how vigorously they wipe your tonsils.

Edit, and the promise of another 3 over the next three weeks.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 15 Sep 20 at 01:07
 COVID-19 test - No FM2R
For some reason this sprang to mind;

"Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing 'Hallelujah.'
 COVID-19 test - sherlock47
Based on your history of invasive procedures I guess your view of a nasal swab is like a walk in the park?

Getting to the tonsils by the long route, now that would make your eyes water!
 COVID-19 test - Zero
>> Based on your history of invasive procedures I guess your view of a nasal swab
>> is like a walk in the park?
>>
>> Getting to the tonsils by the long route, now that would make your eyes water!

Yer, I have had things stuffed up and down every conceivable orifice. Currently its a catheter up the willy one day every week for 6 weeks.
We are being asked to conduct the test ourselves to reduce the risk of infection.

COVID-19 test - Bromptonaut
>> Ive had 6 so far, the triviality varies around who is doing the test and
>> how far they shove the thing and how vigorously they wipe your tonsils.

In other words it's a classic case of 'Your Mileage May Vary'.
 COVID-19 test - Ambo
>>It’s a bit like the lurid tales that people tell about giving blood which is actually a minor and painless process.

It is actually quite painful if you have veins as small as mine. I need special, small needles for coagulation tests over several years but even so sometimes had to undergo several attempts to get a proper sample. This was a fortnightly ordeal in our local hospital before another therapy was introduced, daily Apixaban pills taken at home, rather than Warfarin.

The former experience was invariably painful in the hands of experienced phlebotomist nurses but far worse in the hands of ward doctors, as was sometimes needed.
 COVID-19 test - sooty123
My OH is the same, it's lots of attempts before they can and draw blood.
I remember one particular time it took 7 people to final get a line in, they had to get an anesthetist down from theatre in the end.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 17 Sep 20 at 02:42
I guess we all have different pain thresholds and definition of what constitutes painful.
 COVID-19 test - sooty123
>> I guess we all have different pain thresholds and definition of what constitutes painful.
>>
>>

Get you, you big rufty trufty type.
 COVID-19 test - MD
Just a little prick Del.

Oh! you know my bruvver Rodney do ya?
Latest Forum Posts