Motoring Discussion > Bleeding Brakes Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 17

Bleeding Brakes - Bromptonaut
I don't mean that as cursing my retardation system just getting air and stale fluid out of the system.

Yesterday I took the Berlingo for what is these days an annual service.

Only supposed to be an oil change and inspection but it turned out to be three plus years since the brake fluid was changed. We've had no issues but knowing somebody who'd had brake trouble descending the road down from Alpe D'Huez it's not to be taken lightly so I said go ahead.

Was interesting as the waiting room had a window to the workshop so I could see the job being done.

I remember nigh on 40 years ago one of my flatmates had a dog of a Triumph 1500 that, apart from a rust patch on the roof where it was growing a sun hatch, had dodgy brakes. Three of us worked as a team to bleed them. Steve, the owner, in the driving seat. Other Steve, the only one who'd done this stuff before, superintended from the front and kept the reservoir topped up. As the skinny one I got the job of reaching underneath and manipulating bleed nipple, tubing and a jam jar to watch for the last bubbles and then clean fluid.

We got there in the end but only after procuring a slave cylinder service kit and renewing the seals.

Yesterday the tech did it single handed. After draining the reservoir with a turkey baster thing he attached a device like a garden insecticide sprayer that seemed to both add fluid and pressurise the system without needing an assistant at the pedal. He then went round the bleeds with a tube and a vessel for the waste fluid but which must have had a non return valve as it simply ran until he could see clean straw coloured fluid running out.

What stuff the yoof of today misses.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 6 Oct 20 at 20:43
 Messages Author Date
 Bleeding Brakes new Bromptonaut 6 Oct 20 20:43
 Bleeding Brakes new Lygonos 6 Oct 20 21:06
 Bleeding Brakes new No FM2R 6 Oct 20 21:43
 Bleeding Brakes new bathtub tom 6 Oct 20 22:24
 Bleeding Brakes new No FM2R 6 Oct 20 22:25
 Bleeding Brakes new The Melting Snowman 7 Oct 20 21:14
 Bleeding Brakes new hawkeye 8 Oct 20 12:29
 Bleeding Brakes new sooty123 6 Oct 20 21:09
 Bleeding Brakes new Zero 7 Oct 20 00:12