Motoring Discussion > All you needed back then was an Austin, Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 14

All you needed back then was an Austin, - Zero
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3v1BtUfjs4

Ok folks, lets see if you can name the tourist spots.
 All you needed back then was an Austin, - Bromptonaut
Honister Pass.
 All you needed back then was an Austin, - Duncan
Felbridge hotel, East Grinstead.

I've stayed there.
Can we have some running time pointers so we know what's what
 All you needed back then was an Austin, - helicopter
Quickly skimmed it and agree that the hotel they turn into at the very beginning is Ye Olde Felbridge .

Worcester Cathedral and the theatre at Stratford on Avon are there but did not get the timings

Around 16.15 they drive through Beaulieu and then Bucklers Hard.

I will go through it properly when I have more time.
Last edited by: helicopter on Fri 9 Oct 20 at 19:24
 All you needed back then was an Austin, - tyrednemotional
..of the less obvious for those that don't know it, 4.11 and on is Ashness Bridge above Derwentwater (Keswick) on the dead-end road to Watendlath (which features in the (Austin) ford at around 5.19.
>> Honister Pass.

Is at about 5:30 and Derwent Water both before and after. I'm not sure that everything from Ashness Bridge to Honister is Borrowdale. It may be intercut with more Lakeland stuff, some looks like Langdale but it's difficult to tell given the quality of the film.
 All you needed back then was an Austin, - tyrednemotional
I'm pretty sure the Lake District stuff was inter-cut.

I am sure of Ashness Bridge, and 99% sure of Watendlath (I spent a good few Christmases there), but the film section inbetween could be anywhere, and doesn't look like the correct bit of road.
 All you needed back then was an Austin, - No FM2R
I found the old travelogue a bit boring so didn't finish it, but it did take me to this....

Formula 1 documentary ?? - Pit Stop in Two Seconds

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YteGh1KEUZU
 All you needed back then was an Austin, - R.P.
Was this on Talking Pictures earlier Zero.
It was
 All you needed back then was an Austin, - R.P.
I tuned into it at the point the film was in the Lake District. That channel is brilliant.
 All you needed back then was an Austin, - Manatee
Quite sobering to think that when Dad took us for a run in the 1960's, it was a lot closer to the 1930's than we are now.

Around 1963 I recall being driven at 60 miles per hour in a Ford Anglia 105E, a mile-a-minute! Apparently it took 27 seconds to attain that speed - probably quite a bit more as there were 3 adults and 2 children in it.

I didn't recognise much apart from Worcester cathedral and what I assume was Bourton-on-the-Water, and maybe Moreton-in-Marsh or Broadway. Was Broadway tower in there somewhere? It was all a bit hard to make out.
 All you needed back then was an Austin, - Ambo
Dreadful-looking cars. I came upon the programme part way through and couldn't make out what was going on. Was it a near whole feature-film-length cinema advert? I liked the admonishment at the end to pick up a copy of the catalogue in the foyer. In all, savvy marketing for the time.

Talking Pictures is very nostalgic. Incidentally, I learned from what must have been one of the partners running the Chanel that subtitling can cost in excess of £4000 per film, which is why a shoe-string outfit can't afford it in most cases.

>> Talking Pictures is very nostalgic. Incidentally, I learned from what must have been one of
>> the partners running the Chanel that subtitling can cost in excess of £4000 per film,
>> which is why a shoe-string outfit can't afford it in most cases.

I can believe that. My daughter has been doing some subtitling for work related films/cascade messages. Very time consuming.
Latest Forum Posts