Computer Related > New laptop Computing Issues
Thread Author: Lemma Replies: 16

New laptop - Lemma
I have bought a laptop on behalf of somebody else for them to give as a present. It is a Lenovo Ideapad flex, base version, that gets very good write ups. A very healthy discount, by various means, finalised the decision.

It has Windows 10 that is a foreign land to me. I bailed out of M/S thanks to Vista although I recollect the menu if not the icon system. I plan to start it up, get rid of the bloatware and do some basic setting up for the intended but not too computer literate user.

My question is what do I need to do if anything to ensure suitable protection against viruses? With Apple kit it is not an issue, have Microsoft now installed systems as standard for protection or do I need to instal a virus protection programme? If so which one would you recommend?

Sorry for such naive questions but the world has moved on since my time in microland.

Thanks in advance!
 New laptop - smokie
Windows 10 has a very capable embedded firewall and virus product (Defender) and I don't bother with anything else these days. I don't think I'm alone.

I do an occasional scan with Malware Bytes Anti Malware (the free version) and backup and image regularly.
Last edited by: smokie on Mon 19 Oct 20 at 19:54
 New laptop - No FM2R
Wot Smokie says plus..

I have two teenage girls who sometimes use my computer either for gaming or their various electronic forums.

Thus I also have the paid version of Malwarebytes for the additional and real time protection.

Without them I would not bother with the paid version.
 New laptop - Robin O'Reliant
I recommend sticking with Defender too, it works well.

All the third party anti virus software I've installed in the past, paid for or free has screwed the computer up in one way or another.
 New laptop - bathtub tom
You may also like to install one of the many, free adblocker programs.
 New laptop - Lemma
Many thanks indeed, there seems a pretty unanimous view here. I shall start it up and make sure that the M/S defences are enabled.

Most grateful for your comments
 New laptop - Falkirk Bairn
RBS on-line banking gives the full suite of malwarebytes for free.
Should apply to Natwest as well.
 New laptop - smokie
I'm with NatWest and not seen it. The banks used a bit of software whose name escapes me but seemed to me to be responsible for lots of hanging and crashing. That might be only my experience but it was across a couple or three machines.
 New laptop - Robin O'Reliant
>> I'm with NatWest and not seen it. The banks used a bit of software whose
>> name escapes me but seemed to me to be responsible for lots of hanging and
>> crashing. That might be only my experience but it was across a couple or three
>> machines.
>>

If that was Trusteer it screwed my PC up too, I had to uninstall it.
 New laptop - smokie
Yip that was it!
 New laptop - Falkirk Bairn
www.supportcentre-rbs.co.uk/?q=malwarebytes
 New laptop - smokie
I just went onto my NatWest account and they do it too!! I have a code to create an account.

I wonder if I can use that on more than one device then?

Thanks for the tip!!!
 New laptop - Zero
>> Yip that was it!
Yep it used to be that, and indeed it was utter garbage
 New laptop - Zero
>> I'm with NatWest and not seen it. The banks used a bit of software whose
>> name escapes me but seemed to me to be responsible for lots of hanging and
>> crashing.

I'm with Natwest, the full version of malwarebytes, was offered to me, I installed its its fine no issues at all
 New laptop - smokie
Slow posting by me... can you use it on more than one device? E.g. android, laptop and PC?
 New laptop - Zero
Dunno, I was only bothered about windoze
 New laptop - smokie
I got round to putting it on my main desktop a week or so back. I forgot I'd done it and it more or less coincided with some large Windows update.

I've had nothing but what seemed like hardware (poss disk or network) problems for a few days and I've been through all the usual stuff, including rolling back the C drive to early Sept. Spent hours on it/ Then suddenly remembered Malwarebytes.

So I took it off abut 4 hours ago and it's been stable since.

That isn't yet conclusive but it's pretty promising.
Latest Forum Posts