Motoring Discussion > Tailgating cameras. Coming soon? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 4

Tailgating cameras. Coming soon? - tyrednemotional
...unless the process involves scrutiny by several sequential cameras, this seems extremely fallible to me. The reason for needing space between vehicles is to allow any following one reaction and stopping time should the leading one decrease speed, particularly suddenly, i.e. as in jumping on the brakes.

So, there you are tootling along behind someone at the prescribed safe distance for the speed when he/she mistakes a "tailgate camera" for a speed camera and slams on the anchors. By the time you pass said camera the distance between will be significantly less (but still hopefully safe stopping distance at the now reduced speed). The point(s) at which measurement of distance and speed are taken would be crucial, and, I think, prove far from conclusive.

Maybe OK to issue an automated warning (such as those that used to flash up in contraflows when over a reduced limit) but less so for any prosecution.

I regularly drive down the A46 where, on a dual carriageway section (70mph limit) you end up following people (at a safe distance) at 60mph (an awful lot of people regard this as the prevailing limit). Regardless of that, probably 30% of the vehicles traveling at that speed brake, hard, when they spot one of the speed cameras, and you inevitably end up rather closer to them, albeit under braking.
 Messages Author Date
 Tailgating cameras. Coming soon? new VxFan 4 Nov 20 14:07
 Tailgating cameras. Coming soon? new No FM2R 4 Nov 20 14:17
 Tailgating cameras. Coming soon? new Falkirk Bairn 4 Nov 20 14:28
 Tailgating cameras. Coming soon? new Duncan 4 Nov 20 15:15
 Tailgating cameras. Coming soon? new tyrednemotional 4 Nov 20 15:21
Latest Forum Posts