Motoring Discussion > I'm in an Interesting Situation Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Aaron C. Rescue Replies: 14

I'm in an Interesting Situation - Aaron C. Rescue
I'm in an Interesting Situation

Hmm...just got back from my younger bro's (he's 38, I'm 42) gaff where I turned up a bit unexpectedly. I was passing by, thought I'd call in- we dont normally do that kind of thing, usually we arrange this kind of visit in advance. There's a car involved, an unusual one that he's just bought that I (and he) wanted to see. I'd just returned from a morning's mountain biking with a pal, so was boggin. (And incidentally, managed to snap my middle chainring)

So he expresses delight that I'm there, takes me into the back garden to look at the car, which is all he described it to be. We stand around chatting for a few minutes while we examine the car in detail, and then we decide its time for a brew. So back into his.

As he makes the tea, my eyes are drawn to something unusual. Hanging from his coatrack- at the front, no less- are a set of motorbike trousers (salopette style) and a jacket. Both look in good nick, I'd estimate a year or so old. No sign of a helmet.

We drink our tea, and I say nothing.

Back outside, and he remembers that he was going to ask me to service his pushbike. He drags open the garage door (I gather its a shared garage) and there is...a 650 GSXF, maybe 10 years old. It apparently belongs to someone else in the block. Or does it?

Hmmm...why do I give a toss, you wonder, and why did I say nothing when I saw the bike clothing. Well, 17 years ago this September, our middle brother died in a motorbike smash. Although we've privately expressed a desire to each other to get onto 2 wheels again, we jointly came to the conclusion that it would upset/worry the other too much, not to mention how my Dad (Mum's now gone) would feel, should he know.

I've thought about it, and its his life, I suppose. Despite our middle-aged status, I still worry for and about him- he's single, no dependents. And I cant really blame him for getting another bike if he has. Heck, I cant even blame him for not telling me- chances are he doesn't want to worry me! But part of me would like to openly discuss it with him, I suppose, maybe even congratulate him for getting back on 2 wheels, who knows?

Confused of Lanarkshire.
Last edited by: Aaron C. Rescue on Mon 8 Mar 10 at 20:40
 Messages Author Date
 I'm in an Interesting Situation new Aaron C. Rescue 8 Mar 10 20:39
 I'm in an Interesting Situation new R.P. 8 Mar 10 21:12
 I'm in an Interesting Situation new Aaron C. Rescue 8 Mar 10 21:26
 I'm in an Interesting Situation new R.P. 8 Mar 10 21:29
 I'm in an Interesting Situation new Ted 8 Mar 10 21:51
 I'm in an Interesting Situation new Avant 8 Mar 10 21:51
 I'm in an Interesting Situation new MD 8 Mar 10 21:54
 I'm in an Interesting Situation new Pat 9 Mar 10 05:35
 I'm in an Interesting Situation new Aaron C. Rescue 9 Mar 10 09:24