Motoring Discussion > Mini-roundabout silliness Miscellaneous
Thread Author: SteelSpark Replies: 16

Mini-roundabout silliness - SteelSpark
I posted a few months ago about the problem of people cutting across a mini roundabout on my route home.

The roundabout has 4 equally spaced exits. When it is not busy, people cut across the middle of the roundabout without causing a problem.

However, when it is busy, I see regular problem because people arrive at opposite exits at the same time, with the intention of turning right. Neither has right of way over the other, and everything would go swimmingly if they both turned around the centre, and therefore each other.

What happens however, if that one person tries to go around the centre and the other tries to cut across it. This invariably leads to the one going around having to stick the brakes on to avoid the one cutting across.

I was at the roundabout in question tonight, a few cars ahead I saw it happen twice in quick succession and then, it happened to me.

In my case it was slightly different, because I had driven across the exit that the one guy was aiming for, before he had gotten there.

Windows were rolled down, and he asked me what I expected him to do. When I pointed out that it was a roundabout and that I expected him to go around it (which he could have easily done, even from the position he was in) he got the hump.

He rolled up him window and just sat there glaring at me, by which time a number of people were beeping their horns. He shrugged his shoulders and I again gestured for him to go around me, at which point he sped off out of the exit that I had emerged from, rather than going around me.

Presumably he had expected that I would relent and leave by the exit that he had come from, so that he could carry on his merry way. Some chance! :)

Messages Author Date
 Mini-roundabout silliness new SteelSpark 18 Oct 10 18:54
 Mini-roundabout silliness new diddy1234 18 Oct 10 19:08
 Mini-roundabout silliness new jc2 18 Oct 10 19:13
 Mini-roundabout silliness new WillDeBeest 18 Oct 10 19:47
 Mini-roundabout silliness new SteelSpark 18 Oct 10 19:44
 Mini-roundabout silliness new Armel Coussine 18 Oct 10 20:47
 Mini-roundabout silliness new FocalPoint 18 Oct 10 21:02
 Mini-roundabout silliness new Harleyman 18 Oct 10 21:10
 Mini-roundabout silliness new Iffy 19 Oct 10 04:04
 Mini-roundabout silliness new Pat 19 Oct 10 04:45
 Mini-roundabout silliness new L'escargot 19 Oct 10 07:34