Technical Car/Motor Issues > Mazda 323 - 97 1.8 Timing Belt Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: ToMoCo Replies: 10

Mazda 323 - 97 1.8 Timing Belt - ToMoCo
Generally, when I get a new (used) car, I would replace the timing belt if there is no solid proof it has been done within the last 12-18 months, even with older cars, because if it does go, you're left with the same predicament on any replacement.

However, I believe the enging in our newly acquired 323f is a 'non interference' engine (designated BP from the 'B' series engines I think).

I've never had a non interference engine. If I risk not changing the belt and it does go, will it simply be the cost of then putting on a new belt? I know there is the added hasstle of roadside failure etc.

What would you do? bearing in mind that it could be 1/3 of the cars vale to change.
 Mazda 323 - 97 1.8 Timing Belt - Zero
*IF* i was sure it was a non interference engine, I would leave the belt till/if it fails.
 Mazda 323 - 97 1.8 Timing Belt - Fenlander
As this car has full Mazda history I'd contact the servicing dealer to ask when it was last done. If it was looked after on a time basis it could have been fitted with a new belt in the last year or two.

Unlike Zero I don't do breakdowns and all the hassle that entails so I'd be looking at quotes from a small indy outfit.

To me an interference engine's only advantage is that an early failure should cost less... it doesn't alter the need to do it on time if you value reliability.
 Mazda 323 - 97 1.8 Timing Belt - Zero
Its 13 years old. Changing the belt is 25 - 50% of the cars value.
 Mazda 323 - 97 1.8 Timing Belt - Fenlander
Age and percentage of car's value has nothing to do with it... ToMoCo looked for the best reliable used car he could find for the budget. Not to properly check out/resolve the most obvious failure issue that could strand the car is daft.

In the few timing belt breakages i've dealt with most have been shortly after the owner asked *is it worth doing the timing belt?*

Mazda 323 - 97 1.8 Timing Belt - Iffy
...will it simply be the cost of then putting on a new belt?...

It should be, although the snapped belt might wrap itself around some other components and damage them before everything stops spinning.

Only someone with experience of this engine could tell you if that's likely to happen.

Early Golfs had the problem in reverse, if the fan belt snapped, it tended to take the cambelt with it.

I agree with Fenlander about looking into changing the belt.

Breaking down is inconvenient, and it matters not whether you are in a Rolls or a mini.

If the belt change is going to be £500, then forget it, but for a couple of hundred it's probably worth doing.

Should still keep the car within your original budget.

Mazda 323 - 97 1.8 Timing Belt - bathtub tom
I did my Mazda 'B' series belt and tensioner for around fifty quid five years ago. I didn't like the look of the fan belt so I did that too, as it had to come off to do t'other.

Thats's the Mazda 'B' engine in the KIA Pride I bought for fifty quid five years ago!

I think it's worth doing just for the peace of mind, knowing it's less likely to break down because of it.

It is a non-interference engine.
 Mazda 323 - 97 1.8 Timing Belt - Skoda
What's the limit of what an AA man will do at the road side?

if you got caught short and the AA man diagnoses a cambelt failure and you smile, blow the dust off the one you'd been carrying around in prep and say "actually, i was going to have this fitted at the weekend, would you mind?" :-)
 Mazda 323 - 97 1.8 Timing Belt - Stuu
It occurred to me that usually there is a sticker placed in the engine bay when a new belt is fitted, atleast a good mechanic does, mine does, I have two cambelt stickers, for both times mines been changed. Useful thing too.
 Mazda 323 - 97 1.8 Timing Belt - ToMoCo
Will have a poke around later and see if there are any lables. Going to try and get it to my indy this week for a once over.

Took it out brifly last night. The front tyres, with approx 4/5mm on them were usless in the slush compared to the pug. They just don't have any 'horizontal' tread if you know what I mean?
 Mazda 323 - 97 1.8 Timing Belt - Stuu
My wifes fresh set of Pirelli P3000s have been well worth the £115 for the pair as the grip in snow has been faultless.
Latest Forum Posts