Computer Related > Epson sx425w scan button doesn't work Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Focusless Replies: 13

Epson sx425w scan button doesn't work - Focusless
That is, I press it, select USB connection, it says 'Scanning...' for a bit, then gives a W-61 communications error. I've not set up wireless. Printing is fine, as is scanning if I drive it from the PC rather than the printer. Windows 7, latest Epson drivers from website (which I've tried re-installing).

Any ideas, especially from VxFan who mentioned he'd also bought one recently?
 Epson sx425w scan button doesn't work - R.P.
Have you tried another USB connection ?
Update - thought I'd try the Epson support online chat, and he said I need to install 'Event manager'. However that's not listed in the downloads for the 425; he sent me a link to the PX710W page.

Anyway, downloaded and installed, and button now working fine. Well, in fact all it does is bring up the same diaglogue you get when you run Epson Scan from the Start Menu...
I've now found my question in the FAQs; I'm sure it wasn't there before!

www.epson.co.uk/Store/Printers-and-All-in-Ones/Epson-Stylus-SX425W/Drivers-Support?target=article&extn=.html&articleId=4021

However it still tells you to download the latest Event Manager from the support website, but if you go there, the Event Manager isn't listed for the 425.
Last edited by: Focus on Thu 13 Jan 11 at 09:49
 Epson sx425w scan button doesn't work - VxFan
>> Any ideas, especially from VxFan who mentioned he'd also bought one recently?

Scanning using the USB lead is fine on mine. However, using the WIFI it only allows me to scan one document then says network not found (or something like that). If I turn off/on the printer/scanner I can then scan another document using WIFI - only one though. I can scan unlimited documents if I use the USB connection.

Haven't had time to investigate why yet.
>> >> Any ideas, especially from VxFan who mentioned he'd also bought one recently?
>>
>> Scanning using the USB lead is fine on mine.

...using the button on the printer? So presumably the Epson Event Manager is installed/running?
>> ...using the button on the printer?

Yes. The LCD panel gives you a choice of using WIFI or USB, but the next time you go to scan anything it says on the LCD panel "Last used" or "USB" instead of "WIFI" or "USB". If you select last used it says network can't be found. Will have to investigate as I could do with freeing up a USB socket on the desktop PC. Haven't checked to see if I can only use WIFI only the once with the laptop.

>> So presumably the Epson Event Manager is installed/running?

I'm guessing so. I just ran the software that came with the printer. Will check when I get home.
>> I'm guessing so. I just ran the software that came with the printer. Will check
>> when I get home.

Sorry - just curious. The Event Manager might have been on the installation disk which I didn't use as I thought I'd be clever and download the latest drivers from the website. Serves me right :)
 Epson sx425w scan button doesn't work - smokie
"I could do with freeing up a USB socket"

Get a USB hub - under £3 on fleabay, Just make sure it's a USB 2.0 (or 3.0 for future proofing, as I doubt you have any USB 3 devices yet)
>> Sorry - just curious.

Just checked. Yes, Event Manager is installed and running on both my desktop and laptop PCs.

>> Get a USB hub

I've got 6 in total on the desktop PC. 4 round the back and 2 at the front. For some reason the 2 at the front are temperamental though. Just realised I've got 2 empty USB ports round the back since I no longer need one for my old scanner. As my tower sits sideways on under my workstation I can access the rear ports quite easily.
Just tried copying for the first time this evening - SWMBO wanted some music (clarinet part) printed on a 'march card' (A5) blown up to A4 so she could read it. Told son to vacate the PC so I could do this, but as many will know it turned out I didn't need it - I could select B&W and the scaling factor just using the printer's own buttons and little LED display.

Having previously had separate printer and scanner, this is great! A basic colour copier and computer printer for £50 - ain't technology wonderful :)

(I'm not saying the Epson is better than any other all-in-one - just making a comment as someone new to all-in-ones.)
 Epson sx425w scan button doesn't work - laserguy100
For Epson w61 error code.to remedy do the following
1:on printer /go to set up/network settings/print network report/
2:look down the list for "IP Address"
3:go to pc and in search bar type" epson scan settings"
when it appears click on it.this will bring up epson scan settings
4:wait a moment for it to appear,it should say network button in green.then click add, this will bring up another screen then click enter address button.
5:type in the IP Address that was on print out.it will begin 192.
then enter remainder of IP address click OK and test

That should fix the problem
I'd forgotten about this - I haven't needed to scan anything, apart from as part of the copy function which I've done without involving the PC (as mentioned above).

Thanks anyway though, might need in some day.
Last edited by: Focus on Tue 22 May 12 at 21:11
 Epson sx425w scan button doesn't work - spamcan61
>>
>> Having previously had separate printer and scanner, this is great! A basic colour copier and
>> computer printer for £50 - ain't technology wonderful :)
>>
>> (I'm not saying the Epson is better than any other all-in-one - just making a
>> comment as someone new to all-in-ones.)
>>
Yes, having a decent quality stand-alone colour photocopier thrown in for free, sort of, has convinced me to go down the all in one route these days. Our Epson SX215W has worked fine for a couple of years now on 89p ink carts. The bundled scanning software is pretty sophisticated as well, various different settings for scanning half-tones and suchlike. A bargain at 40 quid odd, it was a distress purchase as well, not very often one of those turns out well.
Latest Forum Posts