Technical Car/Motor Issues > Honda Jazz/Fit - 08 1.4 front brake pads renewal
Thread Author: sajid Replies: 15

Honda Jazz/Fit - 08 1.4 front brake pads renewal - sajid
had my honda jazz mot and serviced in dec 10, the dealer also did a health check and stated the front brake pads are worn 80 percent and may not last a year, they do a fixed price for the front pad £93 inc vat, this covers pads and labour.

I shopped around for alternatives, brake pads for my jazz, got quoted £19 for the pads and £15 to fit them, another shop selling mintex brake pads around £25, my mate had a civic and said the mintex ones the best, they wear out longer, i do a lot of short journeys and my only worry is that i bought a extended warranty for my car, from the dealer and think that fitting them elsewhere may void the warranty. what do yu guy suggest?

moves to Tech Matters

Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 20 Feb 11 at 18:07
 Honda Jazz/Fit - front brake pads renewal - Iffy
...my only worry is that i bought a extended warranty for my car, from the dealer and think that fitting them elsewhere may void the warranty...

Can't see a problem.

You've had the car serviced and MoT'd at the dealer, so you have presumably complied with the conditions of the warranty.

Worse way, if they ever realise the pads had been changed, they might try to wriggle out of a claim for something brake-related.

But most stuff like that would go down as wear and tear and not be covered anyway.

Get the pads changed where it suits you best.

Honda Jazz/Fit - front brake pads renewal - NortonES2
Check whether they need changing.
 Honda Jazz/Fit - front brake pads renewal - Dog
Take the car to national tyres for a free brake check ~ www.national.co.uk/information/free-brake-check.aspx
 Honda Jazz/Fit - front brake pads renewal - Robin O'Reliant
>> Check whether they need changing.
>>
+1.

You've only got to take a wheel off and look, the "brake pads nearly worn out" is a common scam.
 Honda Jazz/Fit - front brake pads renewal - Mike Hannon
Yes, it is in France as well.
When I had new front tyres on the Prelude a few weeks ago I had just inspected the pads and discs carefully (front discs 103k miles, pads 60k miles, etc) and found no significant wear, when the fitter told me all the pads and discs were within 10k kilometres of being completely worn out and needing full replacement.
I think the problem is that your average fitter today is too thick to realise that there are customers who know more than they do.
 Honda Jazz/Fit - front brake pads renewal - Bill Payer
>> .. pads 60k miles, etc) and found no significant wear,

"no significant wear" in 60K miles would be fairly incredible.

On our previous Jazz (mainly rural use) the pads were down to the last few mm's when we traded it in at 40K. The dealer had mentioned them as needing change soon on the last couple of services.
 Honda Jazz/Fit - front brake pads renewal - sajid
i change them when i get the audible noise when braking, guess i got a couple of months left for the pads to be replaced.
just a update, got the pads changed at a indy, pads are delphi brand £19 and the labour £15 £37 in total, saved quite a bit from the dealer price of £93
 Honda Jazz/Fit - front brake pads renewal - Bellboy
80% worn means 20% left so original dealer was correct in saying they may not see customer through to next service,remember this would also be on the service sheet so if customer had a fatal accident in the car it could be used against him in court to his detriment
to keep on the good side of any recalls i would have paid the piper his small bag of mhyrr
bellboy, it may be so, but taking my car in for the next service they will check the brake pads and revise the figures, after all, some jobs you dont need the dealer to fit for you, like tyres, wipers and pads
 Honda Jazz/Fit - front brake pads renewal - Bellboy
fair enough sajid but you would certainly void my warranty
 Honda Jazz/Fit - front brake pads renewal - Dulwich Estate
I had Audi dealers telling me I needed new pads at each of the four services I had with them during the warranty period. When I took it for a free MOT some time later, it was suggested I needed pads too.

I eventually changed them for the first time at 76,000 miles when they were fag-paper thin.
Last edited by: Dulwich Estate on Fri 25 Feb 11 at 18:44
 Honda Jazz/Fit - front brake pads renewal - swiss tony
>> I eventually changed them for the first time at 76,000 miles when they were fag-paper
>> thin.
>>
When they had been dangerous for some time then....

wafer thin linings often break away from the backplate, causing lack of braking and damage to discs.
also allows more heat to transfer in the caliper, causing brake fade/boiling brake fluid.

Pads are recommended to be changed at around 80% wear for these reasons....
 Honda Jazz/Fit - front brake pads renewal - Falkirk Bairn
Caliper Pistons stuck on my Mazda Xedos front n/s. pads scored disk.

Pleasantly surprised at the bill - caliper (1) £66, Disks (2) £43, pads £22 =£131 + labour £57 and then VAT £228 in round figures.

Indie scores top mark again, as I even got a Corsa from Tues late on till Friday lunchtime.

These are not Mazda parts but all brand names you would recognize but on a 12 year old car (worth say <£1000) it is satisfactory I would suggest.
 Honda Jazz/Fit - front brake pads renewal - Manatee
>> "no significant wear" in 60K miles would be fairly incredible.

I agree - but they may still be a long way from worn out. My 5 year old Honda was dealer serviced for 3 years, and I was told at 12,500 & 25,000 that I would need pads soon. At 93,000 it is still on the original discs and pads. The indie, who services the car now, knows to do anything that needs doing, without question. At the 87500 service he estimated the pads were about half worn. The disks are well within tolerance and barely marked with no grooving at all.

The fact that he is old fashioned enough to clean and inspect them properly and keep them free has presumably helped - the dealers don't even take the wheels off.
Latest Forum Posts