Motoring Discussion > How to get road tax for a car that you are buying? Legal Questions
Thread Author: a900ss Replies: 7

How to get road tax for a car that you are buying? - a900ss
Hi,

I've just bought my wife a new car from a private seller but the car has no road tax, it has been on SORN since 1/2/11 despite having a current MOT.

I need to tax the car before picking it up on Tuesday evening. I've asked the seller if he can tax it but he has no insurance for the car now.

I can arrange the insurance easily but can't get a copy of the MOT or V5 until I pick the car up on Tuesday. Without the V5 or MOT physically in my possession, is there any way I can buy road tax for the car?
 How to get road tax for a car that you are buying? - Iffy
In theory you could tax it online because the system only checks there is an MoT, not that you are holding it.

But I doubt your new insurance will be updated online immediately, so the system might reject it on that basis.

Then there's the change of keeper to think about.

I reckon the only viable solution is to turn up early to collect the car, and leave it with the seller while you go to the nearest Post Office with V5, MoT, insurance cover note and some money.
 How to get road tax for a car that you are buying? - ....
Put a steering lock or wheel lock on the car so it cannot disappear while you are away taxing it after handing over the cash.
 How to get road tax for a car that you are buying? - teabelly
Simple answer is no, as with online purchase it is too late to get the tax disc in time anyway and you need the V5 or reminder to tax it.

You could pick up the V5 and MOT and leave the keys with the seller and pay for it when you get back from the nearest PO and get the keys? This way you haven't handed money over until you have the keys and the seller hasn't handed the car over until he/she has the money.
 How to get road tax for a car that you are buying? - Iffy
...as with online purchase it is too late to get the tax disc in time anyway...

Wouldn't be such a problem in itself as the offence pursued is usually using an unlicensed vehicle, rather than failure to display.

Also, the car should come up as 'taxed' on an ANPR check, despite not having a tax disc.

ANPR is by far the most likely source of detection should the OP decide to risk driving the car home without a tax disc.

How to get road tax for a car that you are buying? - rtj70
If you could tax it online, then ignoring the fact the insurance database probably won't be updated in time.... the tax disc will go to the current registered keepers address.

Like others have said, you will need to take the cover note, MOT and the part of the V5 you get to keep to tax it. The rest of the V5 will be sent away by the seller.
 How to get road tax for a car that you are buying? - Tigger
Do the deal, leave the car on the sellers drive for a few minutes and go to the local post office. The post office will even send off the V5 for you, saving you the cost of postage. Come back with the tax disk and drive away.
 How to get road tax for a car that you are buying? - Bromptonaut
Just make sure you're insured and have bomb proof documentation to that effect. Take the car home and go straight to a Post Office with the formwork to tax it.

Being caught by ANPR of the way home is a pretty remote possibility. If you are checked and trigger a warning then insurance is much more of a 'problem' then the very short term absence of tax. If you're polite and otherwise 'clean' I suspect you'd get away with any notional offence of not taxing.
Latest Forum Posts