Motoring Discussion > SORN, MoT and tax questions. Legal Questions
Thread Author: Badwolf Replies: 14

SORN, MoT and tax questions. - Badwolf
Hello folks,

I can probably find the answer to this on the DVLA website but I find that I start to lose the will to live if I look through that for too long!

I plan to SORN my knackered Megane in the short term, as the insurance is up at the end of the month and I can't afford to get it fixed yet.

My questions is:

1. Can I drive it to get fixed and MoTed with no tax and no insurance?

Obviously, if I SORN the car, it can't be re-taxed without insurance or MoT. Is this going to be one of those vicious circles created by the Government to trap the unlawful minority to the inconvenience of the lawful majority?

Cheers.
 SORN, MoT and tax questions. - Bromptonaut
IIRC you can drive a sorn'd car without tax to a pre-arranged MoT.

Insurance is always required - you can maim or kill somone under any circumstance.
>>Insurance is always required - you can maim or kill somone under any circumstance.

Of course - daft of me to ask that one!

Am I right in thinking that now, if the car is taxed it must be insured, even if it is off the road?
 SORN, MoT and tax questions. - rtj70
Yes they changed the rules so all cars need to be taxed unless they are SORN. Doesn't matter if it's not kept on the road.
 SORN, MoT and tax questions. - spamcan61
>>
>> Am I right in thinking that now, if the car is taxed it must be
>> insured, even if it is off the road?
>>
correct, must be insured or SORNed
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Wed 13 Jul 11 at 13:13
 SORN, MoT and tax questions. - Iffy
Helpful info here:

www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011/jun/18/parked-vehicles-insurance
 SORN, MoT and tax questions. - captain chaos
Lazy and stupid legislation which will do absolutely nothing to deter low lifes driving without insurance.
 SORN, MoT and tax questions. - Tigger
>> Lazy and stupid legislation which will do absolutely nothing to deter low lifes driving without insurance.

Of it won't fix it completely, but it will help.

At the moment, the police have to actually see the car being driven. In future they'll just be able to seize it.
 SORN, MoT and tax questions. - Ted

The catch here, Rob, is that you can't drive to a repair garage without tax/mo , only to a pre-booked MOTt.
I believe you may be able to do so after a fail...but not to go home and move it later.

I think that was the rule when I was testing but, likre so much, it may be different now.

Very much in agreement with the Chaotic Capitane there !

Ted
>> The catch here, Rob, is that you can't drive to a repair garage without tax/mo
>> , only to a pre-booked MOTt.

It's a proper pain, Ted. It means I'll have to book the car in for an MoT but ask them to fix it first as I don't want them revving the whatsits of it for the emissions test while it's misfiring (or whatever it's doing!).

SORN, MoT and tax questions. - Harleyman
>> Lazy and stupid legislation which will do absolutely nothing to deter low lifes driving without
>> insurance.
>>

It never has. Forgot to SORN one of my Harleys (long term rebuild) just done it and have been notified that I may well have sinned and could be fined. SORN expired on 31st May this year; tried to do it with the renewal and it won't accept it after the end of June. Found the letter inside a piece of junk mail which I'd left on the table, suspect it arrived that way since i don't remember seeing it before.

The bike has been fully insured throughout.

SORN is a classic example of a well-intentioned idea which usually only catches out honest people. If like me you have several classics, or bikes which are frequently off the road in the winter months, it's all too easy to forget one of them.

Since you can do the SORN bit on-line, why the hell can't they send you a reminder e-mail? In this day and age it's far more fool-proof than Royal Snail.
 SORN, MoT and tax questions. - bathtub tom
What's to stop the scroats cloning the number plates of an identical car?

If I was so inclined, I might be tempted to find an identical car to my uninsured and untaxed one in a different part of the country, copy its number plates to mine and drive around. It shouldn't be too difficult, what with ebay, DVLA website to check if it's taxed and ASKMID to check insurance.

Perhaps that might encourage any here?
 SORN, MoT and tax questions. - Dave_
>> Perhaps that might encourage any here?

Only those with relatively common cars in relatively common colours* :)

Saying that, I parked mine inbetween two identical colour, identical age and identical trim models this morning :)

*Disclaimer: My silver Mondeo is taxed, insured and MoTed - wouldn't dream of taking it off the driveway without all 3 in force.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Wed 13 Jul 11 at 23:29
The company car before this one was cloned - we think. I got a call from the lease company asking if I was still driving it... eh yes. I happened to be near their HQ at the time too so popped by. Turns out someone had an accident and tried getting them to repair their car... I suspect someone in the lease company was selling info.

Police got involved and belatedly tried setting up the sting operation to get them to call into a dealer/bodyshop. Nothing came of it. Eventually the officer in charge moved to train as a firearms officer.

Now knowing the car almost certainly cloned.... asked the officer what to do if they got done for speeding. I was told to send any tickets to him ;-) Never had to.
Dave, the cloned car was a Mondeo. Shame the lease company didn't cotton on sooner when someone contacted the driver support number to arrange a repair. And I do wonder if they got servicing done for free.

Time soon to get the next car.... time flies! The Mondeo I had for four years so this October is 8 years since I got it!!
Latest Forum Posts