Technical Car/Motor Issues > Nissan Micra - 00 1.0 Engine management warning light Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Chris S Replies: 12

Nissan Micra - 00 1.0 Engine management warning light - Chris S
The engine management warning light came on on my Micra on the way to work this morning.

I work in a rural area and there aren't any local garages. Should I risk driving the 12 miles home?
 Nissan Micra - 00 1.0 Engine management warning light - VxFan
What does the handbook advise if this light comes on?
The handbook is at home and I'm 12 miles away!
 Nissan Micra - 00 1.0 Engine management warning light - Zero
The book is useless, it will tell you to contact the dealer ASAP.

How does it feel? if it feels ok then drive it home.
>> The book is useless, it will tell you to contact the dealer ASAP.

Must be a Nissan thing. IIRC Vauxhall handbooks say if the light is on then you may continue driving to your nearest garage but might notice an increase in fuel consumption or reduced engine performance (ie, limp home mode) or something like that.

Chris, do you have breakdown cover? They all carry handheld diagnostic scanners. Failing that, phone a Nissan dealer and see what they've got to say.
>> >> The book is useless, it will tell you to contact the dealer ASAP.
>>
>> Must be a Nissan thing. IIRC Vauxhall handbooks say if the light is on then
>> you may continue driving to your nearest garage but might notice an increase in fuel
>> consumption or reduced engine performance (ie, limp home mode) or something like that.

That's Vauxhall speak for "contact the dealer asap" note it doesn't say "drive it home and think about it"
So Chris, what did you decide in the end?

Risk driving home, or are you kipping down at work tonight?
I Googled it and found out that a constant (ie not blinking) Micra engine fault indicates a problem with the emissions control system.

I also found out that people have been driving with the light on for months without any problems, and that cars have even passed the MOT in this state. So I drove home!

The common consensus was that the light comes on because of a fault in the lambda sensors, or a stretched chain.

However, its not unusual for warning lights to lie and indicate a fault when there isn't one. Somebody suggested disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes and then reconnecting it. If the warning light comes on again permanently then take it to a garage and get the code diagnosed.

I'll try this at the weekend.
Last edited by: Chris S on Tue 2 Aug 11 at 21:26
 Nissan Micra - 00 1.0 Engine management warning light - Dave_
It could be something as simple as the car needing a good service, or at least a going-over (take out and shake the air cleaner element; remove, clean and re-gap spark plugs; etc). Always worth trying the free fixes first :)
>> clean and re-gap spark plugs

Unless they're multi-electrode plugs, in which case do not attempt to re-gap them.
If anybody is still interested I disconnected the battery for an hour or two and then reconnected it.

The warning light hasn't come on permanently again so it was probably just a temporary problem with it.

>> The warning light hasn't come on permanently again so it was probably just a temporary
>> problem with it.

It will probably come back again.
 Nissan Micra - 00 1.0 Engine management warning light - madf
Similar problem on son's 1.0 Yaris was solved by cleaning the MAF sensor with carburettor cleaner...
Latest Forum Posts