Technical Car/Motor Issues > Daewoo Lanos - 98 1.4 MOT query, exhaust slightly blowing Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zookeeper Replies: 10

Daewoo Lanos - 98 1.4 MOT query, exhaust slightly blowing - zookeeper
hi room, ive got the dreaded MOT coming up shortly and a slight dilemma
my exhaust is blowing slightly from the middle box and i was wondering if it will
fail the mot on the fact its blowing but not noisy, and will it hamper the immissions results in any way.....i dont want to splash out on a new system for it to fail miserably on other issues
any advise would be warmly welcome...thanks zoo
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 6 Apr 10 at 21:14
 Daewoo Lanos - 98 1.4 MOT queery - bathtub tom
Can you still get exhaust repair putty and bandage?

Perfectly acceptable as a temporary repair and if you tell the tester why, I'm sure he'll be understanding.
 Daewoo Lanos - 98 1.4 MOT queery - VxFan
All explained here

www.motuk.co.uk/manual_710.htm

Daewoo Lanos - 98 1.4 MOT queery - zookeeper
thanks for the replys...hope it passes as a pinhole leak
 Daewoo Lanos - 98 1.4 MOT queery - spamcan61
It might well hamper the emissions results, only one way of finding out:-/. SWMBO's Zafira did have a slight blow at the last MOT, causing an emisisons fail, the tester stuffed a bit of gun gum in it and passed it :-).
 Daewoo Lanos - 98 1.4 MOT queery - sherlock47
I have had a tester apply a rag to the leak, watch the Lamba come back into range. Pass with advisory of minor leak.
 Daewoo Lanos - 98 1.4 MOT query, exhaust slightly blowing - Robin the Technician
If its got a pinhole, stick a self tapping screw in. use a smear of exhaust paste to it as well. If its nor leaking it can't fail. They can't fail it with a screw in it.

Hope this helps

Robin the Technician
 Daewoo Lanos - 98 1.4 MOT query, exhaust slightly blowing - DP
For smallish holes on straight pipes, another good tip is to cut the ends off a soft drink or beer can, and cut it once along its length. Smear some Gun Gum liberally around the inside of the can, wrap it around the exhaust, overlap the ends (being careful not to cut your fingers), and secure it with a couple of correct sized exhaust clamps.
It's a bodge, but no more so than the repair bandages which you can buy, is a sturdier/more durable repair, and far cheaper.
 Daewoo Lanos - 98 1.4 MOT query, exhaust slightly blowing - zookeeper
thanks for the tips all........zoo, il let you know how i get on
 Daewoo Lanos - 98 1.4 MOT query, exhaust slightly blowing - FotheringtonTomas
Gun gum and tin. Wire it on with some stripped copper wire, snap rivet, or whatever you've got to hand. N.B. these sorts of repairs will not last long, but probably long enough for an MOT.
 Daewoo Lanos - 98 1.4 MOT query, exhaust slightly blowing - FotheringtonTomas
Looks as though you could get one via ebay for £40...
Latest Forum Posts