Motoring Discussion > F1 and general motorsport discussion - Vol 15   [Read only] Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 101

F1 and general motorsport discussion - Vol 15 - R.P.

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 16 *****

As the title suggests, a place to discuss Formula One, and all other types of motorsport (excluding MotoGP, which has a section of its own).

PLEASE NOTE:-

To try and maintain some kind of logical order of discussion, if you start a new subject then reply to this post and remember to change the default subject header.

Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 16 Nov 11 at 00:28

Italian GP - Iffy
A bump for those more interested than me in F1.

Although I see Lewis is on the front row of the grid, so I might watch it for as long as he remains on the track.

Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 11 Sep 11 at 13:17

Italian GP - Zero
>> A bump for those more interested than me in F1.
>>
>> Although I see Lewis is on the front row of the grid, so I might
>> watch it for as long as he remains on the track.

you wont have to watch for long then.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 11 Sep 11 at 13:18

Italian GP - Stuu
Just watched Brundle interview Jenson on the grid - so relaxed and clearly happy in himself, despite the doubters who thought he couldnt handle Lewis, its almost the perfect team combination and clearly well managed behind the scenes.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 11 Sep 11 at 13:18

Italian GP - Dutchie
Vettle won he can overtake Alonso looked a bit P /off.

Italian GP - corax
That 200 mph overtake on the outside was awesome. As Coulthard said, it takes some bravery to do that, especially as he skimmed the grass on his way past. The camera shot from the side of the track was good, two blurs shot past. I'd have loved to have seen that at the track.
Last edited by: corax on Sun 11 Sep 11 at 16:57

Italian GP - Dutchie
He looks like a boy Vettle but he has a determination and fearless attitude when needed.

Not a Schumacher yet but getting closer.

BTCC Neal/Plato fireworks - bathtub tom
Shenanigans during yesterday's qualifying resulted in them both being fined and handed a suspended penalty.

Could be interesting today. ;>)

BTCC Neal/Plato fireworks - Skoda
I really like Plato but to be fair to Neal, that was unsporting conduct on Plato's part.

Never realised plato was a total pussy.

BTCC Neal/Plato fireworks - Alastairw
Plato is the king of winge. He never seems to have an accident that is his fault, and when he loses it is because he hasn't got a turbo yet when he wins it wasn't a problem.

Reminds me a bit of Jarno Trulli and his precious power steeeereeeing.

I don't recall Plato complaining about the other cars being too slow when he was in the SEAT turbo diesel.

BTCC Neal/Plato fireworks - BobbyG
In the Porsche support races at the BTCC I have noticed than when they brake, their brake lights seem to flash alternately.

Is this what they actually do or is it something to do with LED lights and television cameras, maybe wrong frequencies or something?

I've noticed that as well.

Some road cars having flashing brake lights to indicate ABS is operating - really useful to know that, just before you hit them. ;>)

I wonder if it's something similar.

Force India sponsor problem? - henry k
www.dnaindia.com/money/report_kingfisher-a-goner-says-analyst-who-tore-into-ril-rcom_1587615

Force India sponsor problem? - R.P.
Never heard of them really, certainly didn't realise they sponsored F1. If they have gone west - they've a load of Airbuses on order - bead for this country that.

Force India sponsor problem? - sooty123
Set themselves up a few years, same company as the beer I think.

Just looked on wiki, that's a lot of ac on order RP.

I had to look on Wiki as well - all looks very much a house of cards...

Seems to be running at a 20% loss since it started up in 03. Quailty seems good won lots of awards for cabin/food quality etc.

Yes - did some other Googling stuff, seems BA wants to be in an alliance with them as well.

I know that they code shared, what more did BA have in mind?

I've navigated out now I'll try to find the link again.

Been searching financial papers and Indian news sources - not much in the way of chatter there...

Singapore - Mike Hannon
So, a 'grand prix' passes without a single comment on here.
It's not just me then...

Sigh! Hang on while I edit the thread

PLEASE NOTE:- To try and maintain some kind of logical order of discussion, if you start a new subject then reply to this post and remember to change the default subject header.

Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 26 Sep 11 at 20:55

Singapore - Old Navy
No not just you, it is a sign that F1 needs a major revamp, it has become a boring procession.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 26 Sep 11 at 20:55
 Singapore - lancara
Cycling was good - pity the GP and 'enders meant it wasn't shown live
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 26 Sep 11 at 20:56

Singapore - Manatee
>> No not just you, it is a sign that F1 needs a major revamp, it
>> has become a boring procession.
>>

Have you watched any this season?!

I've only skimmed the tape, having been busy over the weekend. I do think safety cars usually spoil races, but they and other safety measures are better than the alternative.

f1-dictionary.110mb.com/roger_williamson.html

Singapore - Old Navy
>> Have you watched any this season?!
>>

Yes most of them, when I haven't fallen asleep while the usual suspects follow each other around. Didn't Vettle win by almost half a lap? They are not even in sight of each other half the time, hardly close competition.

NASCAR is motor racing.

Singapore - Zero
>> >> Have you watched any this season?!
>> >>
>>
>> Yes most of them,

You have watched none of them, if you have you are deaf dumb and blind. Its been the most interesting season for years,

Nascar is boring, if I want to watch things going round a bowl I will buy a bleedin goldfish.
 Singapore - Zero
>> So, a 'grand prix' passes without a single comment on here.
>> It's not just me then...

I am annoyed,. I watched the qualifying in Italy. It was about 4pm local time

I expected the race to be on at home around 3pm local time. So I start to dash home from Gatwick at 2pm, only to hear on the radio the damn race was nearly done.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 26 Sep 11 at 20:57

Singapore - Old Navy
Bad planning Z, I got back from Barcelona on Thursday evening. Don't worry the only interesting bit was the race between the safety car and the doctors car. :-)

Singapore - Zero
why was qualifying and race on at different times?
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 26 Sep 11 at 20:57

Singapore - Old Navy
The race was run at night for western hemisphere TV timing, qualifying does not have the the same level of interest so timing (advertising income) not so important.

Singapore - Armel Coussine
Yes ON, something else took priority since the drivers' championship is now a foregone conclusion...

Of course I watched as usual, horrid for the racers under the lights but that's in the contract. And of course the race was not without interest. Chapeau Button, calm down Hamilton, well done di Resta, what's the matter Kamui....
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 26 Sep 11 at 21:09

Singapore - henry k
Is Lewis Hamilton being hampered by the 2011 Formula 1 rulebook?
news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/15066906.stm

Singapore - Focusless
During the BBC coverage someone (DC?) mentioned that Hamilton sits lower in the car than other drivers, and that Sunday's prang might have been due to not being able to see the corners of his car so well.

Button stays withMcLaren - Roger.
tgr.ph/qDN8N4

Circuit of the Americas, - henry k
www.statesman.com/sports/formula1/construction-on-f1-track-resumes-1895935.html

"Now, plans call for more-stable soil to be trucked in by Ranger Excavating and used to fill to a depth of nine feet before the 11-inch thick asphalt track is built.
The change comes with an additional cost of about $1 million.

Someone missed a trick in the planning stage :-(

Circuit of the Americas, - Alastairw
An opportunity for vaious enem's of the mob to disappear, if ever there was one. Even the FBI won't go looking under 9 feet of topsoil and another foot of tarmac :)

Circuit of the Americas, - Kevin
>Someone missed a trick in the planning stage :-(

The problems in that area have been known about for donkey's years and the engineers at Austin Dept. of Transportation could have told them they were onto a loser thinking they could get away with just compressing the soil.

The existing roads around the site have dips and bumps that are constantly changing and can be three or four feet in amplitude.

Saturday & Sunday tyres ? - henry k
IMO the Saturday fans are not getting very good value for the gate fee they pay.
With the tyre saving tactics fewer cars are coming out to play.
Bernie will not be amused !!
One suggestion is sets of tyres for Saturday and another set for Sunday. Will this work or are there any other suggestions to keep the Saturday show on the road ?

Saturday & Sunday tyres ? - Robin O'Reliant
How about any driver in Q3 who doesn't set a time within X% of the pole sitter gets a five place grid penalty?

Saturday & Sunday tyres ? - Zero
how about the times from Q1 is counted in Q3

So for example if your Q3 time would have got you 15th in Q1 - that's where you start, and if you set no time in Q3 you start from the back of the grid.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 8 Oct 11 at 19:40

Saturday & Sunday tyres ? - Manatee
Separate tyre rations for qualifying and for the race would fix it. Then there'd be no advantage to saving tyres on Saturday.

I hope Kobayashi can do something from there. I'd like to see him in a better car.

Saturday & Sunday tyres ? - Old Navy
I only saw the last five laps of the Japanese F1 GP, at least the first few were in sight of each other, if not actually racing. Are you allowed to bet on F1 as it is so predictable?
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 9 Oct 11 at 08:51

Of course you can bet on it. You can be a millionaire if you can predict the result.

Vettel is 8/13 I think.

Saturday & Sunday tyres ? - Skip
I did watch some of it as i was up and about, but couldn't help feeling that i was watching a different race to Brundle & Co in the commentry box who kept going on about what a fantastic race it was as all i was seeing was the usual procession of the same drivers ! Still i suppose you have to give the commentators some credit, it cant be easy spending 2 hours trying to make an F1 race sound exciting these days - unless it is raining of course !
 Saturday & Sunday tyres ? - Dutchie

Agree Skip so boring.

Can we have a fitbal thread so I can keep going on about how boring it is?

I hate the way F1 is 'monetised', the politically motivated rule changes, and all the 'on-message' interviews and PR drivel that get in the way, but it is still the ultimate in racing on four wheels.

It's surprising that car enthusiasts can have found this season boring. Frustrating maybe that the world championship has been such a one-horse race, but that's what they're all trying to achieve after all.

My main concern for it is that the rules will constrain technical developments.

Anybody else noticed that Hamilton had a very transatlantic accent in the interview at the end of the programme today?

Saturday & Sunday tyres ? - Iffy
F1 is too contrived and has far too many rules.

I'm still convinced the many pit stops are to give good shots of the advertising on the cars.

The Moto GP bikers start the race, and race each other until they finish, so when you see a stream of bikes, you know that is their real position.

Overtakes are worth doing because they mean something.

I would like to see F1 cars set up from the grid to finish the race, but I suspect that would produce even more of a procession than we see now.

Saturday & Sunday tyres ? - Westpig
I think Brundle and Coulthard are genuine when they enthuse about these races. I agree with them.

Those of you who think it boring aren't getting 'in' to it enough.

As an example, when Mansell went to Indy Cars, I followed that for a while. It took me a while to get 'in' to the ovals, but eventually I did...and it was fascinating. Three laps to build up for an overtake ...inter team strategies, so depending on who was where, you might be able to draft and get an advantage over a rival. The ovals have considerably more to offer than just cars going around in circles.

Same principle for F1.

So open your eyes..or watch something else and stop moaning..;-)

Hamilton - Robin O'Reliant
Lewis had another coming together with Massa this weekend. The guy has seriously lost it this season.

Hamilton - henry k
>> Lewis had another coming together with Massa this weekend. The guy has seriously lost it
this season.
>>
news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/15232390.stm
At the bottom of this link there is a video composition of "Lewis happenings" this season with DC & Eddie commenting.

Hamilton - Westpig
Hamilton's head isn't in the right place. Whether it's the play boy lifestyle, inappropriate people around him or lack of close management (or all three) who knows?

It's the same principle as the English rugby team. Compare them to the Welsh at the moment.

I think Hamilton's problem is too much too soon. Second in his first season, champion in his second and hailed as on his way to being the greatest ever he never learned to deal with failure.

Contrast with Button, years of learning the ropes in uncompetitive cars and on the verge of being forced out of the sport, when he got his chance he took it and had developed the mental resolve to deal with it and grow in stature and ability. Although he hasn't said so it must be a body blow to Lewis to keep finishing behind the guy he expected to be no more than his number two when he was signed up to the same team.

Hamilton - rtj70
If Hamilton had the same car as Vettel/Webber then I think Vettel and Hamilton would be closer with the points and the season would have gone to the wire. Red Bull have had the better car this season and last. The season before Brawn had the better car (due to their clever interpretation of the rules).

Next season it will be interesting when blown diffusers are outlawed... Red Bull will probably suffer more than some. Bit like how the double diffuser that Brawn introduced caught a lot of teams on the hop previously.

Hamilton - Zero
>> ability. Although he hasn't said so it must be a body blow to Lewis to
>> keep finishing behind the guy he expected to be no more than his number two
>> when he was signed up to the same team.
>>
Something wrong with your tele old son.

Hamilton has finished ahead of Button 7 times, and Button ahead of Hamilton 8 times.

Thats not "keep finishiing behind" in my book. Thats "even" in my book

Do we need to measure the number of times hamilton has out qualified Button? Your on a looser there too my old son,.

Hamilton - Manatee
Most people would say Button has the upper hand at the moment, though without checking I would guess Hamilton has qualified better on the whole.

Button appears less ruffled by setbacks - but you never really know what anyone is thinking.

Hamilton has a very resigned look about him in the post-race interview this morning, but that can't be his underlying character - he hasn't got where he is without a lot of determination, and I don't think it's fair to say he's never struggled just because he "started from the top" in F1.

Funny things, heads.
Last edited by: Manatee on Sun 9 Oct 11 at 23:29

Hamilton - bathtub tom
Has Hamilton's performance deteriorated since he sacked his dad?

Hamilton - rtj70
Yes... but he also had a bad patch before that.

As ever in F1.... the best car (with a good driver) wins. Red Bull have been excellent these last two seasons. And Brawn the year before that.... and McLaren before that... etc.

>>
>> >>
>> Something wrong with your tele old son.
>>
>> Hamilton has finished ahead of Button 7 times, and Button ahead of Hamilton 8 times.
>>
>>
>> Thats not "keep finishiing behind" in my book. Thats "even" in my book
>>
>>
>> Do we need to measure the number of times hamilton has out qualified Button? Your
>> on a looser there too my old son,.
>>
The last five GP's have seen Button finish ahead of Hamilton, which means JB definately has the upper hand on current form. Qualifying is irrelevant, it's points win prizes not pole positions.

Hamilton - Zero

"keep finishing behind the guy he expected to be no more than his number two when he was signed up to the same team"

Not the case is it.

Hamilton - swiss tony
>> Quote
>>
>> "keep finishing behind the guy he expected to be no more than his number two
>> when he was signed up to the same team"
>>
>> Not the case is it.
>>
Quote from Zero... ''Hamilton has finished ahead of Button 7 times, and Button ahead of Hamilton 8 times.

Thats not "keep finishiing behind" in my book. Thats "even" in my book ''

As number one driver I would hope to finish in front of my teams number two in a ratio of at least 2:1

Hamilton - Zero
who said who was number 1?

i dont recall Martin Whitmarsh claiming he had a No1 and No2?

Or Button

Or Hamilton

Its not Ferrari you know, Hot head Spaniard and his wet limp cape as sidekick.

or Red bull, Young german hotshot and his "do as you are told" Aussie doormat.

Hamilton - Manatee
I don't think even Hamilton could dispute that Button has his nose in front at the moment. He must be as sick as a parrot.

Hamilton - Armel Coussine
Nemmine all dis football fan sheet. Better things to do than speculating over the complexes (as the French say) of driven, talented whippersnappers.

I was very impressed by the BBC's side-by-side coverage of Button's and Vettel's qualiying laps, hardly a whisker apart all the way and less than 2 metres difference over the line.

But Vettel was at eleven-tenths in qualifying mode and Button wasn't. I knew then that even Vettel couldn't keep it up for a whole race. And so it proved.

Alonso's a cool barracuda in my book. Poor Hamilton and Massa playing dodgems again.

Hamilton - Suppose
Hamilton's races:

Suzuka - 5th. Started 3rd. Should have got pole, but Hamilton failed to start final qualifying lap after McLaren sent him out too late near the end of Q3. He dropped from 2nd to 4th because of a puncture and had to pit on lap 9 earlier than scheduled. Vettel pitted lap10, Button and Alonso and webber on lap 11, and Massa lap 12. The second round stops were Vettel and Webber lap 20, Button lap 21, Hamilton lap 22, Massa lap 23. So he came in earlier than planned for the first stop, but then was left out longer than Jenson who then had the right to come in first - a double whammy. Massa's tyres were 3 laps younger when he caught Lewis on lap 22, just as Lewis was coming in for the 2nd pit stop. Hamilton went from 4th to 7th after that stop, because of the undercut him by the other drivers coming in two/three laps earlier.

Martin Whitmarsh explained, McLaren made changes to Hamilton's car at his first pit stop to compensate for a lack of grip at the rear of his car.
"We brought him in early because of his puncture and at that stop we took some front wing angle out," Whitmarsh said. "In hindsight that was a mistake.It was to compensate for oversteer, but that oversteer had probably been created only through the pressure differential [in the deflating tyre] and so we over-compensated and Lewis was struggling to find the balance he'd enjoyed during the previous two days."

Whitmarsh after Suzuka:
on Jenson's style -
"Not chasing, not getting tucked up someone's diffuser. It is very difficult and non-intuitive of a race driver if you have a car in front and you think you can catch him, but actually not catch him. But that is the maturity and the brains that Jenson brings to bear at the moment in terms of how he goes motor racing."
on Hamilton -
"Hamilton's biggest hindering factor in the Japanese GP was the slow puncture he suffered during the early laps of the race. He paid the price for a slow puncture. We could see it coming, and he had a big misbalance across the rear axle from that. It cost him a couple of places and the coming together with Felipe didn't help either. It was a combination of those things that lost him some places and it was tough to come back from that."

Hamilton's problem is that the team is managed by Martin Whitmarsh since Ron Denis left. Martin gets on very well with Jenson, but not so well with Lewis. Also, the team seem to make too many strategy errors, especially with Lewis's pit stop calls where he loses out on the undercut.

Hamilton's other 2011 races:

Australia - 2nd. Vettel streaked away. As Hamilton began to catch him, latter in the race he was told to back off as part of his undertray had worked loose

Malaysia - 7th after 20 second penalty added for weaving in the race. Started 2nd on the slow side and then got stuck behind Heidfeld off the start line. McLaren pitted him early to get past Heidfeld and so needed four pit stops during the race whereas others used a three stopper strategy. Alonso crashed in to Hamilton in the race for which he got a after race 20 second penalty. Hamiltion complained about McLaren’s race strategy in the interviews after the race.

China - Winner. Button’s failed to come into the pits when he was first called on lap 13. He stayed out a lap longer, meaning Hamilton had to stay out a lap longer too. But Hamilton was already struggling with tyre wear and was passed by Vettel and then Felipe Massa. This left him fifth. Hamilton then overtook drivers on the track, including Button, Rosberg, and Massa; and finally caught and passed Vettel who had been way way ahead.

Turkey - 4th. Started 4th on grid, but lost two places immediately as he tried to go around the outside of the slow starting Red Bull of Webber. He found himself sliding to the edge of the road and Fernando Alonso and Jenson Button overtook him. He had a slow third pit stop, caused by a pair of cross-threaded wheel nuts, which cost him 14 seconds. Managed to overtake on the track to finsih 4th.

Spain - 2nd. Started 3rd. Vettel spent much of the final third of his race watching his mirrors as Hamilton reeled him in on the start/finish straight. Haamilton showed good pace on the car late in the race and hounded Sebastian Vettel to the flag, finishing just six tenths of a second behind the Red Bull. This was despite qualifying almost exactly a second slower than the RB7s.

Monaco - 6th. Started 9th. McLaren were quick enough for Hamilton to take pole position in Monaco. McLaren chose to send him out for a single run in Q3 at Monaco but the red flag at the end of third practice meant it backfired, leaving him ninth on the grid. “We probably should have put a banker in,” he reflected, “I had the pace to be on pole”. In the race, Hamilton got past Michael Schumacher at the start but the Schumacher ran into him at Sainte Devote, breaking part of his rear wing. He was unable to pass Vitaly Petrov, and the team called Hamilton into the pits to try to take advantage of the ‘undercut’. In Hamilton’s terse words after the race: “They said ‘[pit] to overtake’, I came in, and they weren’t there”. Despite the slow stop he was able to leapfrog Petrov and Maldonado, but not Massa. Having switched to super-soft tyres he began attacking Massa, who was on softs. But a passing attempt at the hairpin ended in contact. And then the rest of the race which ended with Hamilton's remarks "This stuff’s ridiculous. These drivers are absolutely fricking ridiculous, it’s stupid.” Asked why he has had so many penalties he joked: “Maybe it’s because I’m black – that’s what Ali G says! I don’t know.”

Canada - DNF. 5th on the grid. McLaren had set up car for a wet race. Button pushed Hamilton in to the wall - he said he did not see Hamilton in his mirrors because of the spray. Button won the restarted race which was stopped for 2 hours due to torrential rain.

Valencia - 4th. Started 3rd, lost two palces to the Ferraris at the start but gained a place back from Massa through a pit stop. Boring processional street race.

Silverstone - 4th. Started 10th after McLaren misjudged the rain expected during Q3, was fast enough in the race and was running 2nd and had the pace to win, but was told to slow down as he had been underfuelled. Finished 4th with the team warning him that he had to back off to save fuel. “We’d expected him to encounter more traffic in the first part of the race than he actually did,” explained Martin Whitmarsh. “As a result, he used more fuel early on than we’d anticipated he would.”

Germany - Winner. Started 2nd. Some nifty overtaking moves.

Hungary - 4th. Started 2nd, led most of the race, but then towards the end McLaren misjudged the rain. Hamilton pitted for intermediates. Two laps later he was back in to replace them with a set of soft slicks. By this time he’d already had a spin at the chicane The spin cost him the lead to Button but his spin-turn recovery was even more damaging, as the stewards determined he had forced Paul di Resta off the track, and gave him a drive through penalty

Belgium - DNF. In Q2, Maldonado weaved into the side of the McLaren after they’d crossed the finishing line. McLaren jut managed to get Hamilton back in to Q3 for him to claim 2nd on the grid. hamilton was leading, came in for tyres, fed in behind Sutil and Kobayashi, passed them both but then crashed in to Kobayashi as he thought he had long passed him. Kobayashi said: “After he overtook me it was not my intention to get my position back, so I stayed on my line and didn’t expect him to move over.”

Italy - 4th. Started 2nd. Fell asleep at the restart, which allowed Schumacher to pass him. On lap 16, Button passed them both. Schumacher came into the pits at the end of the lap, followed by Button on the next lap and Hamilton the lap after that. Button stayed ahead, but Hamilton came out behind the Mercedes once again. Hamilton took until lap 27 to pass Schumacher, after which he pushed hard and finished the final lap one second behind Alonso.

Singapore - 5th. Started 4th. Picked up a puncture in Q2 when he ran over debris from Kamui Kobayashi’s crash and didn’t have enough fuel in Q3.
“We had an issue with the refuelling process – we couldn’t get enough fuel into the car quick enough. In the end, we just ran out of time, so I couldn’t fit in my final run.” McLaren requested FIA that Hamilton be allowed to change his damaged tyre before the race but FIA refused, despite having allowed Rosberg such a change in an earlier race. In the race, he clipped Massa’s right-rear tyre with his front wing, damaging both. McLaren kept him out for a lap with the left-hand portion of his front wing completely destroyed. They then switched him to the soft tyres with the intention of keeping him out as long as possible. The stewards handed Hamilton a drive-through penalty.
Last edited by: Suppose on Mon 10 Oct 11 at 20:25

Hamilton - VxFan
>> Poor Hamilton and Massa playing dodgems again.

Yes, funny how Button doesn't have the same vibration problem with his mirrors that Hamilton claims to have.

Hamilton - Manatee
...except for the occasion when he ran Hamilton off the track because he couldn't see him?

Hamilton - VxFan
But wasn't Hamilton going for an ever shrinking gap that Jenson was already aiming for to keep on the racing line? IMHO, it wasn't Jenson's fault that Hamilton couldn't read the road ahead.

Hamilton - Zero
Not Biased then Dave...

Hamilton - VxFan
No, not at all.

Korean Grand Prix - Duncan
Vettel wins the Korean Grand Prix.

This is - I think - the first post in the F1 GP thread since Tuesday October 11th.

Are we all losing interest in F1?

Korean Grand Prix - Manatee
No. Forgot to record it so will watch it this afternoon. Wish I hadn't read your post.

Korean Grand Prix - Zero
its worth it, great tussle between Hamilton and Webber.

Korean Grand Prix - Old Navy
Just another "pick three for the podium from the usual half a dozen suspects".

Korean Grand Prix - Zero
just another race you didnt watch.

Korean Grand Prix - Manatee
He still seemed circumspect when interviewed, but it's good to see Hamilton's performance perking up a bit.

Webber is no mug, and the consensus seemed to be that the RB was the faster car.

Korean Grand Prix - Suppose
>> Webber is no mug, and the consensus seemed to be that the RB was the
>> faster car.
>>

How about this for a conspiracy theory?

Webber is no mug, but he allowed himself to be mugged/pimped by Red Bull Horner.
Webber is the No 2 driver, he won't be allowed the chance to dent Seb's relentless pursuit of records.

Webber had a good chance of catching/passing/undercutting Vettel. But red Bull protected Vettel by spoiling Webber's strategy.
www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2011/10/16/webber-worst-pit-stop/

Korean Grand Prix - Zero
And achieve what?

Vettel already had the drivers championship, didn't matter what order the two RB drivers finished in to sew up the constructors championship. If you were the team principal and wanted to doctor the race to your benefit you would bump Webber up to

a: push other non RB drivers down the ladder, and b: keep your number 2 driver motivated.

Conspiracy theory? its a very poor one.

Korean Grand Prix - smokie
Someone told me that the RB challenge now is to get Mark to number 2. They thought it was Horner who said it but weren't sure.

And I hear Lewis has split with his girlfriend. maybe that's why he was "subdued" at Korea.

Korean Grand Prix - Suppose
>> Someone told me that the RB challenge now is to get Mark to number 2.
>> They thought it was Horner who said it but weren't sure.
>>

www.espnstar.com/motorsport/f1/news/detail/item692673/Vettel-to-let-Webber-win-next-races/

Dan Wheldon. RIP - Dave_
British IndyCar driver Dan Wheldon, 33, has been killed in a crash during a race in the U.S., the BBC are reporting.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 17 Oct 11 at 01:15

Dan Wheldon. RIP - henry k
BBC reporting
Briton Dan Wheldon dies after a multiple-car accident at the Las Vegas Indy 300

Youtube has a clip of the happening.

Dan Wheldon. RIP - DP
Just got back from a mate's place after seeing this unfold live on the telly. Truly horrific accident in what was set to be an epic season finale.
My thoughts are with his family and friends, and particularly his wife and two young children. Can't even begin to imagine what they are going through. RIP.

Dan Wheldon. RIP - Stuu
Theres a tribute to him on SKY Sports 2 atm, just started.

F1 pics - Focusless
Some great F1 pics: news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/13145834.stm

A few include camera/lens details for those who are into that sort of thing.
Last edited by: Focus on Mon 17 Oct 11 at 21:09

Indian GP - Buddh International Circuit - Suppose
lap dubbed by Mark
www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7h5xH1lDLY

lap dubbed by Vettel
www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VTlLyKZQTk

Swiss-Indian racing driver Neel Jani drives Red Bull F1 car in the Himalayas
www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0xzJN7wtYc

Indian GP - Buddh International Circuit - henry k
McLaren's Lewis Hamilton has been handed a three-place grid penalty at the Indian Grand Prix for ignoring caution flags in first practice.

Sauber's Sergio Perez has also been handed the same penalty,

Indian GP - Buddh International Circuit - Focusless
>> Swiss-Indian racing driver Neel Jani drives Red Bull F1 car in the Himalayas
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0xzJN7wtYc

He had to stop half way up because he didn't fancy driving an F1 car up a mountain pass on slicks in snow. Wuss :)

Indian GP - Buddh International Circuit - Focusless
>> lap dubbed by Vettel
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VTlLyKZQTk

Either Vettel is the strong silent type, or the sound doesn't work for me on that one.

Indian GP - Buddh International Circuit - Roger.
So, with Jensen Button looking ever more likely to finish the season with more points than Lewis Hamilton, who is next season's No1 driver @McLaren?

Indian GP - Buddh International Circuit - Robin O'Reliant
I don't think McLaren have a No1 driver, they let them race each other.

Indian GP - Buddh International Circuit - Roger.
So is their status defined by their pay?
Who gets the larger pay cheque directly from McLaren?

Indian GP - Buddh International Circuit - rtj70
ID have thought Lewis is currently on more money. But that's a guess. They should be on the same.

Indian GP - Buddh International Circuit - Zero
Its entirely dependent on sponsor value for money. Button tend to sell nothing, Lewis much much more.

Indian GP - Buddh International Circuit - VxFan
>> Button tend to sell nothing,

Head and Shoulders?

Yeah, he is reduced to admitting he has dandruff, just to earn sponsor dollars.

Indian GP - Buddh International Circuit - henry k
At least he is smiling most of the time.

Indian GP - Buddh International Circuit - Stuu
I think the male population simultaneously shook their heads when Jenson told us about hair products.

Indian GP - Buddh International Circuit - rtj70
I was referring to what Mclaren themselves pay the drivers. It should be the same. The fact Lewis Hamilton can get more sponsorship money is separate in my opinion at least.

Indian GP - Buddh International Circuit - Manatee
That depends what you think they are being paid for doesn't it? Why should they pay them the same if that makes the net cost of Jenson higher, if in fact it would.

If Jenson carries on beating Lewis he might end up more bankable.

>> I was referring to what Mclaren themselves pay the drivers. It should be the same.
>> The fact Lewis Hamilton can get more sponsorship money is separate in my opinion at
>> least.

I am talking team sponsors here, not personal sponsorship

Indian GP - Buddh International Circuit - VxFan
>> At least he is smiling most of the time.

You're getting Macleans confused with Mclaren ;)

Latest Forum Posts