Non-motoring > Scart freeview receiver. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 41

Scart freeview receiver. - VxFan
Anyone use one?

A little device that comprises of small box with a hinged or fixed scart plug that plugs directly into the scart socket of a TV or VCR that picks up freeview channels.

Not this one specifically ( tinyurl.com/3chbh96 ) but something similar?

Contemplating whether it would be suitable to stop a VCR from being made redundant due to the digital switchover this month in my area.

All TVs in the house have freeview built in, but as we've only got the one sky+ box, we'll be fighting over recording of programs shortly. Reluctant to pay Sky any more money for multiroom or SkyHD with multiroom thrown in as part of the deal.

Have contemplated getting a twin tuner freeview recorder, but it seems a shame to scrap 2 perfectly good VCRs if they can be converted to receive freeview.

One last question, presumably most if not all freeview boxes (including this scart type one) have timers? - the ones I've found via google have anyway. Does this mean that channels are automatically changed, or does it just put a reminder on the screen and you manually have to select another channel? Thinking along the lines that this device would be useless if you were out for the day and wanted to record more than one channel on the VCR if the timer function still needed manual intervention.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 6 Sep 11 at 21:26
 Scart freeview receiver. - spamcan61
I hate chucking out working stuff but I'd just buy one of these, a cheap way of recording Freeview:-

www.ebuyer.com/225560-xenta-freeview-pvr-and-usb-media-player-db-18
 Scart freeview receiver. - Iffy
Neither of the Freeview boxes linked so far has the timer facility which the OP seeks.

If he goes out, he will need to set the video timer manually, then leave the Freeview box switched on to the right channel.

No ability to multi-record from different channels, the OP will need a hard drive Freeview PVR to do that.

>> If he goes out, he will need to set the video timer manually

As I currently have to do.

>> then leave the Freeview box switched on to the right channel.

I realise that too.

>> No ability to multi-record from different channels

That was why I was wondering if they have a timer to automatically change channels. A colleague has freeview box that has a 'remind' option to let him know of a program that's about to start and if he doesn't press the 'cancel' or 'OK' button it automatically changes to the reminded channel after a period of time.

I was wondering if all freeview boxes have this function?
OK, been having a bit of a play.

Using Spamcan Junior's Bush DFTA14 box (doubtless no longer available new, but the SW looks the same as many other boxes) I can set multiple timers:-

picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/gI3XFhUVax8FjCU_Zzv_-Q?feat=directlink

Many VCRs, from mid 90s onwards anyway, can wake up from standby and record via a pin on one of the SCART connectors, certainly my last two Panasonics could.

So, you connect the Freeview box to the appropriate SCART (usually marked SAT IIRC) via a fully wired SCART cable, program the timers on the Freeview box and stick both boxes in standby. Job done. In theory.

I have used exactly this methos with a Sky Digibox to record to VCR, and it worked fine.

Thanks spamcan.

That's what I'm hoping for. I think I'll need to view and download some operating instructions for freeview boxes to see what features they have in way of timers or reminder settings.
Stand-alone SD Freeview boxes, other than ultra cheapo ones, seem to be becoming relatively rare now, i suppose many people now have Freeview built into their TV, have bought a cheap PVR, or are going for HD boxes.
Vaguely on topic, I'm tempted by one of these Tesco HD Freeview boxes for 15 quid, should be stable with the latest FW:-

www.hotukdeals.com/deals/technika-stbhdh2010-freeview-hd-digital-set-top-box-hdmi-cable-for-15-tesco-dire/1010289?page=3

I've yet to find a user guide online to see if it meets the OP's requirements.
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Wed 7 Sep 11 at 16:04
Cheap as chips.

It's got SCART as well as HDMI for those of us still using 1980s leads.

All it lacks is any separate audio output, so connecting a mini-system would be difficult.

I use a mini-system at the caravan because the sound from the small flat panel telly is poor.

>> Cheap as chips.
>>
>> It's got SCART as well as HDMI for those of us still using 1980s leads.
>>
>> All it lacks is any separate audio output, so connecting a mini-system would be difficult.
>>
>> I use a mini-system at the caravan because the sound from the small flat panel
>> telly is poor.
>>
Assuming one of the SCARTs would be spare, just use a SCART to phono lead to plug it into the mini-system:-

www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-Phono-SCART-Switchable-cable/dp/B00006JCXU
Contemplating a gamble on this one.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270807662399

Says its got an event timer.

Only thing that puts me off is the shaver plug on the AC/DC adaptor.

It's either that, or a Freeview PVR - something like a HUMAX PVR 9150T.

I really don't want the VCR to be made redundant though as among one of its features is a built in DVD player.
 Scart freeview receiver. - Fenlander
We were in a B&B last year with devices like that plugged in the TV scarts Vx... worked just fine.

Still use a VCR here now and again as we've never got round to burning our old tapes to DVD. Interestingly the picture processing in our Panasonic flatscreen brings the VCR picture up to a quality never seen previously on older TVs.
...Only thing that puts me off is the shaver plug on the AC/DC adaptor...

Easy enough to chop it off and fit an ordinary three pin plug.

Just don't wire anything to the big pin, and all should be well.

Last edited by: Iffy on Thu 8 Sep 11 at 07:58
 Scart freeview receiver. - sherlock47
>>>Easy enough to chop it off and fit an ordinary three pin plug.<<

Make sure you are wearing ear defenders for the big bang!

It is not a plug - it is the transformer DO NOT FOLLOW IFFY ADVICE!
...DO NOT FOLLOW IFFY ADVICE!...

Oops!

I trust that you noticed the omission of the apostrophe and 's' ;)
...I trust that you noticed the omission of the apostrophe and 's' ;)...

I'm on firmer ground now. :)

The phrase makes perfect sense with or without.

But try not to use the word 'that' - it's usually superfluous.

'I trust that you noticed...'

'I trust you noticed...'

inclusion of 'that' reduces the scope for misreading by the less literate, who may inadvertently insert a ',' after ' I trust you '

:)

Point taken. (full stop?).

Last edited by: pmh on Thu 8 Sep 11 at 09:22
I'd pay an extra 3 quid for the Tesco one on the basis it's HD (OK of marginal utility when you're recording to VHS!) and it's got a proper warranty - but then we still don't know if it can do a timer record.
>> I'd pay an extra 3 quid for the Tesco one
>> - but then we still don't know if it can do a timer record.

It says it doesn't have a series link.

Edit - Mind you, the one I looked at on ebay doesn't mention having one either.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 8 Sep 11 at 10:42
I haven't seen a decoder box with series link, although I've not checked many recently.

As mentioned on hotukdeals there's another version of the Tesco HD box on their eBay site 'refurb' for 20 quid:-

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270806542340 (shortened the link for you as it threw my screen out of proportion)

Still haven't found a user manual online!
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 8 Sep 11 at 13:57
No worries, I trust you, pmh, you did a good job of correcting my earlier balls-up.
Hang on Vx, that jobbie from the Far East only timer records digitally to USB by the looks of it ?

" Programmed video recorder
TV record to USB2.0 USB Drive
Format: MPG
Record capacity: 1.2GB/hour "

Although it does go on about an event timer in the description.
 Scart freeview receiver. - Soupytwist
If I were to have bought one of those - i.e www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270807662399 - or something similar, and it came with a shaver stylee plug; what would I need to do in order to plug into a regular three pin socket?

Just out of interest like.

Ta.
Last edited by: Soupytwist on Thu 22 Sep 11 at 10:09
 Scart freeview receiver. - R.P.
A continental type adapter - check the voltage to make sure it's 240v and not 110v would be the first test otherwise you'll need some sort of transformer thing. Poundshop type place should get you an adapter.
...what would I need to do in order to plug into a regular three pin socket?...

You will need one of these:

www.shavers.co.uk/shopping.php?product_id=336
But make sure to check the voltages. Not to do so could be a schoolboy error of monumental proportions...
...But make sure to check the voltages. Not to do so could be a schoolboy error of monumental proportions...

The link says 'cannot be used in USA', which is a strong suggestion it's made to run on the standard UK 230v supply.

I'd still check the small (usually very small) print.
>> and it came with a shaver stylee plug

There are similar models on ebay that come with a 3 pin AC/DC power supply.

eg - www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110719980774
 Scart freeview receiver. - Soupytwist
Sadly I didn't see those when I was looking and I already have on with a two pin plug now.

We have a European/three pin adaptor at home so I'll try that.
...There are similar models on ebay that come with a 3 pin AC/DC power supply...eg - www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110719980774...

The spec for this device says 100-240V, which is another reason why it's not worth worrying about.

I've seen the same voltage range specified on other small electrical items which use an external transformer.

The chargers for my Nokia phone and Roberts DAB radio are both marked 100-240V.

Scart freeview receiver. - bathtub tom
>>what would I need to do in order to plug into a regular three pin socket?

You shouldn't use a yale key pushed into the earth, this lifts the shutters over the live and neutral and the shaver style plug can then be pushed in and the key removed. ;>)
>> >>what would I need to do in order to plug into a regular three pin
>> socket?
>>
>> You shouldn't use a yale key pushed into the earth, this lifts the shutters over
>> the live and neutral and the shaver style plug can then be pushed in and
>> the key removed. ;>)
>>

Most Vauxhall car keys are equally effective for this :-). On a more serious note doing this (and I do now and again) can distort the contacts inside the socket, so that pukka UK plugs won't make proper contact any more.
>> Have contemplated getting a twin tuner freeview recorder, but it seems a shame to scrap 2 perfectly good VCRs if they can be converted to receive freeview.

Well I've gone for a Humax PVR9150T (160 GB) twin tuner freeview recorder, bought 2nd hand from ebay.

One of the VCRs won't entirely be redundant as it is a Panasonic VCR / DVD combo, so at least the DVD player will still be useful. The other VCR (in my bedroom) will have a freeview box (probably like the one I mentioned at the start of this thread) connected to it.
 Scart freeview receiver. - Zero
how much do they go for Dave? thinking of selling mine soon.
 Scart freeview receiver. - Dog
Under a ton from Amazon ~

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B001EBQGIO/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1316158378&sr=8-1&condition=used
90 quid from Humax Direct for a 'refurb' with 1 year on site warranty:-

www.humaxdirect.co.uk/product.asp?ProdRef=10069&cat=Factory

It took ages for Humax to sort out the SW issues with these boxes post DSO, but there don't seem to be many problems reported since they finally released the new SW.
>> how much do they go for Dave?

I got it for £51 + £10 p&p

One I was bidding for the other evening though went for something like £85.

I set myself a max limit I was going to bid (£70, inc the p&P).

Prices are all over the place though, so can't really give an average of what they go for.

I almost went for a refurbished Sharp TUR162H - £51.98, in p&p ( www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220839296921 ) but google threw up a lot of negative comments about the Sharp freeview recorder.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 16 Sep 11 at 13:27
Given the roll-out of Freeview HD I think at this point in time I'd either spend under 100 notes on the Humax or spend a bit more and get a HD jobbie, these seem to be under 200 quid now, this Toshiba receives good reviews and 150 quid odd gets you 500GB, which is about 100 years TV watching for me:-

www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-HDR5010KB-Freeview-Digital-Recorder/dp/B004INH5V2/ref=pd_sim_ce6
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Fri 16 Sep 11 at 13:44
There are 3 HD ready TVs in my house, but HD doesn't really interest me in the slightest. The only sport I watch is motorsport, so I'm not interested in seeing each and every blade of grass on a footy pitch twitching in the wind, neither am I interested in seeing how good the mortar is between the bricks on Albert Square.

Most of the time when the TV is on, I'm doing other things so my eyes aren't avidly glued to the screen.
>> There are 3 HD ready TVs in my house, but HD doesn't really interest me
>> in the slightest. The only sport I watch is motorsport, so I'm not interested in
>> seeing each and every blade of grass on a footy pitch twitching in the wind,
>> neither am I interested in seeing how good the mortar is between the bricks on
>> Albert Square.
>>
>> Most of the time when the TV is on, I'm doing other things so my
>> eyes aren't avidly glued to the screen.
>>
I personally watch virtually no telly at all, just figure if I was to spend money then HD is a bit more 'future proof'.

My current budget favourite Freeview SD PVR is the Vestel T835, under 40 quid for a refurb with 250GB HDD from Tesco ebay outlet:-

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280718893458&clk_rvr_id=266426711314
Latest Forum Posts