Non-motoring > Gas board re-laying pipes
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 10

Gas board re-laying pipes - Hugo
Right, I can comment with some authority here. I have had at least 3 gas mains laid/relaid

They are under an obligation to leave the surface as it was when they arrived. That means if they disturb slabs then they should re instate the same. If they disturb concrete then expect concrete in its place, if they disturb turf then expect that to be reinstated - you get the picture.

My advice to you if you are concerned is to get some photos of your property before they start work, then you can press them to come and repair the damage if they don't without fuss. They will often send tradesmen to come out on their behalf if they need to.

As to outside meters, I assume they will put an ugly white box on the outside wall. The last time we had a gas main laid we asked for a recessed meter box. They free issued a box to me and I installed it myself by cutting a hole in the stonework and cementing it in. Wales and West Utilities just came and attached the meter. It took me about 4 hours in total. All the neighbours have external ones and mine looks far better.

They don't like you making any holes in the back of the box, which means cementing it in or using fixing foam. Having said that the gas fitter mentioned that mine was the first one he'd ever seen fitted correctly, which was quite scary!

If you've got cavity wall or solid wall you need IIRC about 6 inches depth. If you wall is 2ft deep like mine are then you're fine. If it's a modern house then you'll have 4 inches of blockwork/brickwork then a cavity, this should be OK. Houses nowadays are built with them ready to take the gas and electric meters
 Messages Author Date
 Gas board re-laying pipes new smokie 23 Feb 10 20:31
 Gas board re-laying pipes new Zero 23 Feb 10 20:34
 Gas board re-laying pipes new Iffy 23 Feb 10 20:37
 Gas board re-laying pipes new rtj70 23 Feb 10 20:35
 Gas board re-laying pipes new smokie 23 Feb 10 20:51
 Gas board re-laying pipes new Hugo 23 Feb 10 20:50
 Gas board re-laying pipes new smokie 23 Feb 10 20:54
 Gas board re-laying pipes new Adverse Camber 24 Feb 10 10:33
 Gas board re-laying pipes new Fenlander 24 Feb 10 11:11
 Gas board re-laying pipes new smokie 24 Feb 10 12:02
 Gas board re-laying pipes new Haywain 24 Feb 10 14:49