Motoring Discussion > KIA Cee'd - Kia Ceed - Potential Warranty Issues ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Fullchat Replies: 15

KIA Cee'd - Kia Ceed - Potential Warranty Issues ? - Fullchat
The Ceed is just coming up to 4 years old with 27K on the clock. Couple of weeks ago had to take her to the dealers for a steering knock under warranty. Turned out apparently to be a loose bolt somewhere and they conducted a factory recall on a brace of tank support straps.
As I was collecting the car the service receptionist informed me that they had conducted a 'health check' and found issues with the brakes which were showing signs of excessive wear and perhaps some sort of sticking. Me being the suspicious character I am though "Oh yeah?". Anyway it is due it's 4 year service and MOT next Friday so that would give me some time to appraise the situation and it is overdue a couple of rear tyres. Tyre choice was discussed on a previous thread and I thought I would try some Barums rather than the expensive Mitchelin Primacys. The're on Monday through MyTyres.
Anyway, to continue. Yesterday I got down and dirty and jacked up the front, wheels off and brakes dismantled. Indeed the fronts were cream crackered particuarly on the inside of the discs. What was apparent was that the bottom pin of the sliding caliper on both sides was seized, the top pins were fine. So I thought I would bite the bullet and crack on. Down to Eurocarparts and a new pair of OEM equivalent Paget front discs, front, back pads and £185 lighter :( (This sort of gear does seem to have crept up pricewise).
Now I put the seizing issues fairly and squarely at the lack of proper servicing as my experience between Fords and Kia indicates that the wheels don't even come off for the first 3 years. Had they done so a litle routine cleaning and greasing would have prevented the issue.
So all the calipers cleaned, pad sliding grooves all filed out to remove rusty crud and everything back together. On to the backs. These were in better condition but the discs had suffered corrosion on areas of the contact surface where the pads do not touch and scabbing around the outer edge. I cleaned these up with a flap wheel and they will do for now but the OCD in me says they should be replaced
Took the opportunity to scrub the inside of the alloys to give the tyre fitter somewhere clean to stick the balance weights.
Now as you know Kia give a 7 year warranty with a number of conditions such as full service record and only OEM parts fitted by authorised workshops etc blah blah. The warranty is limited as time progresses and brakes are seen as 'consumables' and not covered anyway.
Now I am wondering what will occur when its serviced. Will the mechanic just crack on complete the service and admire the quality of my work or will he/she go telling tales to the service manager that the customer has fitted their own non OEM gear and then rip up the remainder of my warranty.
My argument, if I have one, is that the mechanic will of course be servicing the brakes (not that they need to do so now) to Kia's strict service schedule and will therefore validate the quality of workmanship.
Anyway we shall see. Watch this space. I've certainly saved some money compared to what they would have charged to do the same job and probably not to my standard. And they are getting a suitable wedge for the service.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Sat 27 Apr 13 at 22:52
 Messages Author Date
 KIA Cee'd - Kia Ceed - Potential Warra.. new Fullchat 27 Apr 13 22:49
 KIA Cee'd - Kia Ceed - Potential Warrant.. new RichardW 27 Apr 13 23:04
 KIA Cee'd - Kia Ceed - Potential Warran.. new Fullchat 27 Apr 13 23:20
 KIA Cee'd - Kia Ceed - Potential Warra.. new - 27 Apr 13 23:54
 KIA Cee'd - Kia Ceed - Potential Warr.. new .... 28 Apr 13 00:11
 KIA Cee'd - Kia Ceed - Potential Warr.. new Armel Coussine 28 Apr 13 00:16
 KIA Cee'd - Kia Ceed - Potential Wa.. new .... 28 Apr 13 00:30
 KIA Cee'd - Kia Ceed - Potential W.. new Armel Coussine 28 Apr 13 00:50
 KIA Cee'd - Kia Ceed - Potential Wa.. new Bill Payer 28 Apr 13 22:57
 KIA Cee'd - Kia Ceed - Potential Wa.. new - 29 Apr 13 08:46