Non-motoring > Alpine recommendations Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 5

Alpine recommendations - tyrednemotional
....bit of a tall order this one LL.

I could suggest a number of general locations in any of the Alpine countries, but the spec is rather wide to zero in on any.

Presumably you are looking for somewhere which would provide a day's walk of reasonable standard for each day of your stay? Providing variety for this from a single location isn't entirely easy, especially if you want, say, six different walks of a top-end Alpine standard. (Something slightly less strenuous is somewhat easier).

As for access, the better areas are probably somewhat less accessible, particularly by public transport (though there are some that come to mind), is car hire from the destination airport in mind?

Examples I would pick are:

The Ă–tztal in Austria. I particularly like Umhausen, because it is small, quiet, and off the main Valley drag (though other places might give more accommodation options). Accessible by combination of train and Postbus from Innsbruck, or only a short drive. Varied walking, from high terraces to 10000 footers, and the bus service up the valley gives varied jumping off points.

If you want somewhere uber-accessible, then I would suspect Garmisch-Partenkirchen might fill the bill. It's rather bigger, but has lots of possibilities if you're prepared to travel short distances at the start and end of the day. 90 minutes on the train from Munich.

If you wanted somewhere in the same broad area, but smaller and with direct access to the hills, then Ehrwald, in Austria, sits in a great bowl which has walking on all the ridges, and circular on the valley floor. About two hours on the train from Munich. Lift up to the top of the Zugspitze (but don't catch the one that goes to the German side back down, it's a long walk round!)

I like the Val Di Fassa in the Dolomites. Canazei or Campitello give access to lifts, and there is enough variety to see a week out. Not as accessible as the others above, though.

I could think of others.
 Messages Author Date
 Alpine recommendations new legacylad 21 Aug 19 11:30
 Alpine recommendations new tyrednemotional 23 Aug 19 17:32
 Alpine recommendations new legacylad 23 Aug 19 21:58
 Alpine recommendations new tyrednemotional 23 Aug 19 22:53
 Alpine recommendations new legacylad 24 Aug 19 07:58
 Alpine recommendations new martin aston 26 Aug 19 11:57
Latest Forum Posts