Options

Channel Changes Sky

xtradjxtradj Posts: 875
Forum Member
✭✭
If the F1 channel is going to be Sky 408, where will the SS1 HD channel move too? and i assume others will move too?

Comments

• Options
    CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    Sky Sports HD 1 is 401 is it not?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 396
    Forum Member
    Caltonfan wrote: »
    Sky Sports HD 1 is 401 is it not?

yes.

I assume the original poster doesn't have HD, which then means it's irrelevant what channel number SS1HD is moved to.
  • Options
    griffpaulgriffpaul Posts: 777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Id imagine sshd1 would move to 407
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    griffpaul wrote: »
    Id imagine sshd1 would move to 407

407 slot is not owned by Sky, it is owned by MUTV (even though they don't use it).
  • Options
    kriZbiikriZbii Posts: 1,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky don't own 407, if they did there'd be something on it already and that's where they'd put the F1 channel. SS1HD will probably go where SS2HD is, 2 will go where 3 is and so on so they're still in order. anyone without HD doesn't need those channels, anyone with HD is unlikely to want the SD versions much anyway

They could possibly do what they did with the entertainment reshuffle last year and promote ESPN HD to 409 so that all the HD channels are near the start
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    does it matter?

if you're on sd you'll have sports1 on 401 as usual and f1 on 408......

and hd will be the same........

401/402/403/404/405/408 are the sky sports channels, in sd or hd

if you're on hd why would you care where the sd channel was? and vice versa?
  • Options
    Digi ManDigi Man Posts: 18,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For HD subscribers-

Sky Sports F1 HD (408)
    Sky Sports 1 (409)
    Sky Sports 2 (418)
    Sky Sports 3 (454)
    Sky Sports 4 (455)
    Sky Sports News (458)?
    Sky Sports F1 (459)?

For SD subscribers-

Sky Sports F1 (408)
    Sky Sports 1 HD (409)
    Sky Sports 2 HD (418)
    Sky Sports 3 HD (454)
    Sky Sports 4 HD (455)
    Sky Sports News HD (458)?
    Sky Sports F1 HD (459)?

I think I'm correct in saying that those with question marks haven't been confirmed by Sky, so News & F1 may not be duplicated.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    407 slot is not owned by Sky, it is owned by MUTV (even though they don't use it).
    It'll be interesting to see if MUTV retain the 407 EPG slot after the reshuffle. I think they might, perhaps for a possible 'MUTV HD' at a later date.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RHIGGINSON wrote: »
    does it matter?
    To subscribers, probably not, but to broadcasters, it matters. I personally believe Sky should keep duplicate channels for now, because they're handy & cheap placeholders.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely Sky owns the broadcasting platform. MUTV may have a slot but that doesn't mean they own a specific number. The general principles when renumbering is that public service channels are listed first then channels are allocated by popularity. That's why some +1s are next to the base channel while others are far apart.
  • Options
    Gordie10Gordie10 Posts: 2,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fairness wrote: »
    Surely Sky owns the broadcasting platform. MUTV may have a slot but that doesn't mean they own a specific number. The general principles when renumbering is that public service channels are listed first then channels are allocated by popularity. That's why some +1s are next to the base channel while others are far apart.

MUTV probably still have 2 slots because when they were sold them, there were still so many free slots available that it didn't matter if one went unused. Now the missing 407 rather stands out.

+1 channels that are next to the base channel were probably allocated when EPG slots were sold to broadcasters in groups of 2 or 3 (e.g. MUTV), again when there were so many free slots available. At first, these extra slots went unused, so there would often be gaps of 1 or 2 between channels (e.g. 531, 534, 537, etc.). Then, as +1 channels were launched, these went into the appropriate gaps (e.g. 532, 535, 538, etc.), keeping similar channels grouped together. But as time went on, more and more slots got filled, filling up the channel allocation for each genre, meaning Sky had to squeeze them up, so that when new channels were launched by a particular broadcaster (e.g. +1 channels), these were shunted to the very end of the genre grouping, nowhere near their base channels.

As for channels being allocated by popularity, I'm not sure that's true. It's more about who got in first (i.e. first come, first served), and who can afford to buy the more prestigious slots from other broadcasters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gordie10 wrote: »
    MUTV probably still have 2 slots because when they were sold them, there were still so many free slots available that it didn't matter if one went unused. Now the missing 407 rather stands out.

+1 channels that are next to the base channel were probably allocated when EPG slots were sold to broadcasters in groups of 2 or 3 (e.g. MUTV), again when there were so many free slots available. At first, these extra slots went unused, so there would often be gaps of 1 or 2 between channels (e.g. 531, 534, 537, etc.). Then, as +1 channels were launched, these went into the appropriate gaps (e.g. 532, 535, 538, etc.), keeping similar channels grouped together. But as time went on, more and more slots got filled, filling up the channel allocation for each genre, meaning Sky had to squeeze them up, so that when new channels were launched by a particular broadcaster (e.g. +1 channels), these were shunted to the very end of the genre grouping, nowhere near their base channels.

As for channels being allocated by popularity, I'm not sure that's true. It's more about who got in first (i.e. first come, first served), and who can afford to buy the more prestigious slots from other broadcasters.
    That's absolutely spot on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could well be that channel numbers are sold. I heard they were allocated by popularity but the source was not definitive.
  • Options
    Gordie10Gordie10 Posts: 2,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky Sports' channel reshuffle has taken place this morning, complete with minor changes to HD channel names and logos.

Of interest to HD subscribers ...
    • "Sky Sports HD1" is now "Sky Sports 1 HD"
    • "Sky Sports HD2" is now "Sky Sports 2 HD"
    • "Sky Sports HD3" is now "Sky Sports 3 HD"
    • "Sky Sports HD4" is now "Sky Sports 4 HD"
    The SD versions of the Sky Sports channels for HD subscribers (or the HD versions for SD subscribers) are now on the following channels:
    • Sky Sports 1 (HD): 409 (was 408)
    • Sky Sports 2 (HD): 418 (was 409)
    • Sky Sports 3 (HD): 454 (was 418)
    • Sky Sports 4 (HD): 455 (was 454)
    • Sky Sports News (HD): 458 (was 455)
    This leaves room for Sky Sports F1 (HD) on channel 408, and either 457 or 459 - not sure which of those last two at this stage, as neither channel has taken its place on the EPG as yet.

All HD channel logos have been altered so that "HD" is smaller than the main body of text, as is the case on all other Sky-branded channels (except Sky News HD).
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gordie10 wrote: »
    Sky Sports' channel reshuffle has taken place this morning, complete with minor changes to HD channel names and logos.

Of interest to HD subscribers ...
    • "Sky Sports HD1" is now "Sky Sports 1 HD"
    • "Sky Sports HD2" is now "Sky Sports 2 HD"
    • "Sky Sports HD3" is now "Sky Sports 3 HD"
    • "Sky Sports HD4" is now "Sky Sports 4 HD"

Which is exactly what they should have been to start with.
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any screengrabs of the new DOG's? I take it they still remain on screen at all times and not fade out after a few minutes?
  • Options
    covfancovfan Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They remain on the screen and the HD part of the logo doesn't disappear at all, even if the channel is showing SD upscaled content.
  • Options
    Steven L HunterSteven L Hunter Posts: 10,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    Any screengrabs of the new DOG's? I take it they still remain on screen at all times and not fade out after a few minutes?

I hope not its really annoying when it fades out
  • Options
    Martin1Martin1 Posts: 8,402
    Forum Member
    I hope not its really annoying when it fades out
    It does not fade out at all.
  • Options
    TomM44TomM44 Posts: 338
    Forum Member
    Why isn't this thread in the Sky forums?
  • Options
    mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    TomM44 wrote: »
    Why isn't this thread in the Sky forums?
    Why is this thread even in xistance? It's pointless. People really will start a thread on ANY, no matter how pointless, irrelevant or how little it contributes, subject on these forums. Jesus.
  • Options
    RedSnapperRedSnapper Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mogzyboy wrote: »
    Why is this thread even in xistance? It's pointless. People really will start a thread on ANY, no matter how pointless, irrelevant or how little it contributes, subject on these forums. Jesus.

Whats more pointless - starting a "pointless" thread..or actually replying in one you think is "pointless" ??
  • Options
    mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    RedSnapper wrote: »
    Whats more pointless - starting a "pointless" thread..or actually replying in one you think is "pointless" ??
    The former, obviously. I mean, seeing the thread title made me think that there were changes afoot that would have an effect on my viewing, when, in actual fact, it's a non-story.

It doesn't matter where the HD chanels go for SD subscribers, because they can't view those chanels, and it doesn't matter where the SD channels are for HD subscribers, because why would you even want to watch the SD channel for a live sporting event?
  • Options
    Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    Paddy C wrote: »

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1635860

1st post :)
  • Options
    StevenNTStevenNT Posts: 2,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    Which is exactly what they should have been to start with.

at the time they were not exactly full simulcasts of the SD sports channels and HD4 didn't originally exist when the other 3 launched as Sky Sports 4 was still called Xtra. So at the time the names made sense.