Options

SSE Broadband and phone - Any Good?

hi all,
does anyone out there have any advice about SSE as a Broadband and phone supplier?
was thinking of joining them, im just coming to the end of my deal with talk talk, i like the fibre and anytime calls (inc international) i have, but i also have TT TV which is basically a freeview box with a few extras, i contacted them and said i don't use the TT extras,so i only want to pay for Fibre and anytime calls etc and they cannot get anywhere near the price of SSE ( who are offering Unlimited ultrafast B/B at 78mbs, & anytime calls inc International for £23pm for 18mths!

what do people think? are they worth trying, its the best deal i can find, better than Sky, BT, Plusnet etc

thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    HappymanUKHappymanUK Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    I've signed up and due to be transferred over to SSE next week.

I went for the Ultrafast (up to 76Mbps) FTTC service @ £21/month including line rental.

There is a new website community set up for discussions on SSE Broadband - maybe worth you asking the question there ? - www.discussisp.com
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,150
    Forum Member
    I'd be interesting to read any feedback - the £21 a month deal for 76mb BB seems a steal compared to the £49 BT are charging me for the same speed and the never used but compulsory phone line.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks - A few people have now registered and I have asked them to provide speed test results and comments etc when they are connected. I'm being connected next week and will post my results on www.discussisp.com too.

Thanks
  • Options
    waz101waz101 Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SSE Fibre is just as good as BT infinity I have been with them over a year now, only thing that I have noticed is that they limit P2P (torrents) at peak times. Easy to get around with a VPN (I have a yearly subsciption to Cactus VPN anyway).
  • Options
    mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    Yesterday we signed up to the 76Mb Ultra Fibre Broadband and Talk Anytime package at £21.

Seems a good deal, the only thing it doesn't seem to have included that would incur extra costs for us is Caller ID but the all day calls including 20 International Destinations is just what we require.

Will post details of how things pan out as it progresses :)
  • Options
    kings_evanskings_evans Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    had the SSE broadband activated today, they had told me to be in from 8am-1pm for an openreach engineer to call, when i opened the broadband box there was a letter to say if i had already had fibre before the engineer probably wont need to call!!.

although they were quick to point out when ordering that if i miss the appointment i will be charged over £100...its a good job i was here anyway and not waiting in special...i set up the router in mins and was up and running straight away, and also the phone package is up and running too, just no caller ID which is £3.50pm extra!

i will see how it goes for now and report at a later date

kings
  • Options
    Chris1973Chris1973 Posts: 670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only thing that puts me off SSE is the fact is that (according to MSE ) they still use Traffic Shaping / Traffic Management during peak times, whilst many other providers don't.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-broadband

Of course how detrimental or restrictive this is to your actual service depends on how the Traffic Management is actually set up and implemented, but the only way to find out is to take out a contract by which time its too late if it does have a big impact on your service.

Sadly, I don't want to take the risk of paying for a Fibre connection only to find that it could be throttled right back during Evenings and Weekends at the whim of the ISP when any Traffic Shaping is active.

Most people probably may not even notice the effects of Traffic Shaping, although if you are a large household who use streaming services such as Netflix or any form of IPTV or Catch Up TV then you may find it to be restrictive.

The fact that they even still use Traffic Shaping does make me wonder how robust their infrastructure is, and how much influence Traffic Shaping would have in the future once more and more subscribers are on board. after all they are one of the few providers who still do this.

Personally i'll stick with the providers who constantly give you the speed your line can maintain - there are plenty of them.
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had sse activated today i don't like their router as need to use the white modem box with it.
    However there was no issue with the switch from bt to sse and everything is up and running as it should be, i shall monitor it and see how it goes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi gother,

I've had mine installed today.

What router did SSE supply you with as the one I got from them I am using at the moment without the white Openreach box ?

Daniel
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    djblamire wrote: »
    Hi gother,

I've had mine installed today.

What router did SSE supply you with as the one I got from them I am using at the moment without the white Openreach box ?

Daniel

A black and white one TG589VAC.

Edit solved it had to switch it to vdsl mode it was in ethernet 5 mode.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gother wrote: »
    A black and white one TG589VAC.

Edit solved it had to switch it to vdsl mode it was in ethernet 5 mode.

Yes, same model as mine - Glad you have now got it working.
  • Options
    TextmainiacTextmainiac Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    I've been with SSE for eighteen months now, with zero problems. They did some upgrades a couple of months ago which gave three router lockouts during one day, but Daisy Communications warned of them, and the router rebooted right after.

"The fact that they even still use Traffic Shaping does make me wonder how robust their infrastructure is, and how much influence Traffic Shaping would have in the future once more and more subscribers are on board. after all they are one of the few providers who still do this."

You can worry about the future till the cows come home. There's no guarantee that SSE will use Daisy Communications in the future, or anything else.

As to traffic shaping, I haven't been affected by it, if it's ever been used. That's not to say others won't who live in congested areas. I have two boxes connected to Netflix/iPlayer which run glitch free.

I don't use SSE PSTN voice services, but I do have two VOIP lines (Soho66 and SIPGATE) in a single VOIP deskphone for interantaional calls, and all have worked flawlessly over SSE/Daisy.

Nothing to complain about. Shocking, eh?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Update.
    On my 3rd day with SSE so far solid connection, speeds always averaging 72mbs down and 19mbs up, not had any traffic management and i'm a very heavy user as i game online and all my tv is watched online etc.
    So far very happy with SSE.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We signed up on 31st May and haven't heard a thing further from them other than an email referring to our online account and to look out for a letter with a 4 digit PIN number to use on our first login.

We called them yesterday for an update and to be honest they didn't instill much confidence. They couldn't say why we haven't received a welcome pack (they said it's been sent) and they had no idea when the service is likely to be activated.

So I guess it's a case of wait and see!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well the fun and games have begun, i contacted BT to ask why my account was still active as i am now with SSE BT have said i'm still with BT, however my speedtest clearly states daisy communications which is SSE, SSE say i'm with them at the moment i'm being billed by both, i tried to explain to BT the switch has obviously gone through as my speedtests now say daisy communications and they are 75mbs not 52mbs but oh no BT weren't having none of it.
    Will keep you all updated as to how this merry dance pans out will it be BT or will it be SSE? let the games begin.
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Been with them since September and no problems from day one
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We've cancelled our order with SSE. Having read quite a few bad things regarding speeds and traffic management, the total lack of post order information and then being placed in a queue for 1 hour and 24 minutes when I called SSE (I kid you not) I decided to leave it for a while and see how things pan out with other customers and their reviews over the next year or so.

I contacted our existing provider who made us a good offer of free 76Mb for 12 months but no free calls.

Better the devil you know!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finally my account with BT is closed i had to go to ceo office in the end, as for SSE no issues been solid no traffic management either and a pretty decent ping so quite happy at the moment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gother wrote: »
    Finally my account with BT is closed i had to go to ceo office in the end, as for SSE no issues been solid no traffic management either and a pretty decent ping so quite happy at the moment.

Spoke too soon getting traffic managed very heavily my speeds go as low as 2mbs, i've contacted ofcom who said i can cancel without penalty as SSE are not providing me with the guaranteed speed for a reasonable ammount of time aka 50%.
    I'm finding my connection throttled from 9am - 12am everyday and only getting between 2mbs and 8mbs speeds 12am - 9am i'm getting 78mbs, SSE use Daisy communications who seem to be the problem.
    I've given SSE 30 days cancelation notice and will be moving back to BT.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    getting mine installed on friday afternoon so keeping my fingers crossed. i'm aware they "manage" traffic, but then so did plusnet and i didn't really have any major problems with them.

still, for £21 quid a month for 18 months, it's a no-brainer for the anytime landline calls, so i'll happily put up with the alleged "ultra fast" fibre broadband i'm getting.
  • Options
    rubble2rubble2 Posts: 412
    Forum Member
    Just looked at SSE offers, I need an 'anytime' call package included but I can apparently only get that feature if I am an existing customer of SSE.

They offer one package to any user and three 'exclusive' tariffs to existing customers.

That effectively excludes me from signing up with them
  • Options
    rustytrawlerrustytrawler Posts: 2,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rubble2 wrote: »
    Just looked at SSE offers, I need an 'anytime' call package included but I can apparently only get that feature if I am an existing customer of SSE.

They offer one package to any user and three 'exclusive' tariffs to existing customers.

That effectively excludes me from signing up with them

Yes, this is because of take up being higher than expected (who knew?). Can't switch myself due to energy exit fee and pre-paid rental outweighing the benefits for the time being.

The traffic shaping is worrying but I think the user is in the extreme, possibly contravening AUP.

The £3.50p/m for Caller ID is a bit steep - are there any other services bundled for that price?

Is it just me or does the massive increase in line rental plus the additional charges for line services carry any analogy to historical mobile phone billing? It's about time we had a realistic pricing structure for telephony and broadband similar to mobile phones.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plusnet have "helpfully" booted me offline because I'm switching to SSE today ..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good start to SSE. Engineer came and did everything. Did the tests and everything was OK - all lights lit up on the router. He left so I turned my PC on to log in to the router to configure it with my devices and the Internet light went off.

Rebooted the router and still no internet light so rang SSE support and have currently been on hold for 43 minutes ...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rather randomly, I removed the ethernet cable from the WAN port that's the connection to the PC and placed it in to Port 4 on the back of the router and everything is now working!

Getting 74mb down and about 18mb up at the moment, but the line tests have said i should be able to get the maximum of 80mb down once the 10 day adjustment has been completed.