Options

The avocado bathroom suite appreciation society

ProgRockerProgRocker Posts: 1,325
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just seen a post about avocado bathroom suites on the 'acceptable in the '70's thread' and thought that it deserved a thread of it's own! :D

I still like them, and other coloured bathroom suites. If I bought an old house with one in it, I would try to retain it if it still in good nick. :)

My parents had installed some avocado porcelain into the separate WC and bathroom of their house. However, iirc it was the early 1980s by then and somehow a little behind the fashion curve as they considered a 1970s thing. :D They had just bought their council house and so had the freedom to make some improvements (for want of a better word).

Does anyone have a fondness, or any memories of, coloured/avocado bathrooms? :)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree! I like an avocado bathroom myself. Nice calm colour.
  • Options
    soda syphonsoda syphon Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    I don't like avocado bathroom suites at all but I love avocados!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like avocado bathroom suites at all but I love avocados!

ProgRocker will correct me if I'm wrong, but sadly I don't think that qualifies you to join our society. :(

It's nothing personal ... just rules are rules.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We used to have a chocolate brown bathroom suite. It was rather ghastly I must admit. But yeah, surely time for coloured suites to have a comeback. Maybe they could come in the same colours as luxury cars - Audi's Velvet Purple sounds quite nice.
  • Options
    ajmanajman Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I love them as they take me back to my childhood. It's like being in a big avocado-coloured womb.
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They were fashionable then, but they are not now. White suites are fashionable.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. I hate them. I prefer white enamel - no plastic. I once moved into a council house which had an avacado bathroom suite in it. I pretended there was some dreadful problem with the bath so the council came and ripped it out and replaced with a nice white one.
  • Options
    GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matched with right decor they can look very good and stand the test of time. Yep, I grew up with one.
  • Options
    alfiewozerealfiewozere Posts: 29,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as it is clean and everything works, an avocado bathroom suite is fine. If I moved somewhere with one, I wouldn't chuck money away replacing it if it didn't need it. I'd get some 70's pictures for the walls and a lava lamp or two and make it look like a style statement.;)
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When me and my husband were house hunting, someone said to us "avoid anywhere with avocado bathrooms",i asked why, she said "because it will be difficult to sell in the future". We were looking to buy a house to live in, not sell a house we didnt have.

Then a few weeks ago I was asking someone at work how much did they reckon it would cost to redo the bathroom - including removing the bath and installing just a big shower. They said "oh you dont want to do that",i asked why,he said "Because it will be difficult to sell in the future".

Again, we were looking for advice on home improvements for us to live with,not to sell and we intend on staying here for a long,long time. Unless we won the lottery - in which case removing an avocado bathroom / putting back in the bath wouldn't be a problem!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    Most avocado bathrooms we see are starting to rot. The loo breaks down and the bath is discoloured. I used to like it back in the day and if it is in good nick, why not?
  • Options
    stevensdrsstevensdrs Posts: 1,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a pink bathroom suite, a grey bathroom suite and a beige bathroom suite. Had to fit a white shower tray recently as you can't get a beige one anymore.
    Never been a fan of avocado or brown though.

Maybe one day colours will make a comeback.:(
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    I think this needs to be posted at this poinT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWoWHzq21tA

:D:D
  • Options
    mattwoodfieldmattwoodfield Posts: 6,036
    Forum Member
    We have just bought a house that has an Avocado bathroom suite in it - absolutely horrible!

Getting a new white suite delivered tomorrow, so its bye bye Avocado!
  • Options
    stevensdrsstevensdrs Posts: 1,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    I think this needs to be posted at this poinT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWoWHzq21tA

:D:D

LOL. Very good :D:D:D
  • Options
    asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    i like the way it doesnt show the muck - unlike my white one that looks proper manky:mad:
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When we moved here 4 yrs ago we had an orange bathroom suite and tiles.The first thing we did was rip it out and install a white one. However in the 70s we had a chocolate suite which was terrible, it never looked clean and was always covered in water marks. I think that when all coloured suites have been removed and everyone has white ones, Laurence LLewelyn Bowen or some other designer will tell us all to rip out the white ones and have a coloured suite and it will start all over again.
  • Options
    JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    I bought my first house in 1979, a new build, so we had a choice of colours for our bathroom and WC.

White was not an option! :p

In the end we went for pale blue.

I'm pretty sure coloured bathroom suites WILL make a comeback in time, after all it's fashion and in the fashion world, what goes around comes around - I well remember flared trousers and platform soles first time around and they (of all things) made a comeback.
  • Options
    pjb007pjb007 Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got one - its great :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    I remember when coloured bathrooms became fashionable. You were looked down on if you had a white bathroom - they were so boring and basic. We had one fitted in our new build instead of the standard white. Trouble is it was fully tiled in avocado tile and it was so dark in the bathroom.

A few years ago I had a thing for the colour magenta/fuchsia/shocking pink. A friend of mine had a bath in that colour and I really wanted it. She hated it. She wasn't upgrading and we were renting otherwise we could have done a deal.

One house we rented had an aqua/turquoise bathroom and it felt like I was in a swimming pool when I was in the bath:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    asp746 wrote: »
    i like the way it doesnt show the muck - unlike my white one that looks proper manky:mad:

Why don't you clean it then?:confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My parents had an up market one. Theirs was "sage green".... Bleurgh!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    I remember growing up, we had a bright blue coloured bathroom suite. It was so camp and over the top and my mother accesorised the bathroom with blue tit bits just to really hit home the fact the bath was bright blue. I think I quite loved that bathroom suite and miss it somewhat. White is all very well and good but it does show the muck more easily.

My uncle still has a chocolate coloured bathroom suite which just looks hideous. It's more black than brown though so just makes the room appear smaller than it actually is.
  • Options
    asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    burton07 wrote: »
    Why don't you clean it then?:conf

i never said i never cleaned it i merely said the white shows the dirt up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Coloured bathroom suites show the dirt more because the white limescale shows up more. It's the same with gold coloured taps - they look vile after a while because they get covered in limescale.

Nothing looks nicer that a sparkling clean white bathroom suite.