Help please!?

Options
emylou
emylou Posts: 444 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 22 August 2011 at 5:17PM in Debt-free wannabe
I have posted this on the ebay thread but there is more "traffic" on here so to speak.

(This started last week)
Just received an email from paypal (after my 2nd phone conversation with them where they told me it did appear to be a glitch and they would marl it as urgent that a manager would deal with the issue)

"The payment is held because the buyer’s bank has recalled the payment.
The request to recall the payment could come from the owner of the bank/card, or from the bank. Kindly note that as this is initiated from the bank there is no timeframe in place to stop them recalling the payment even after 2 years and as the bank has taken this action then it is within their timeframe for this action."

It states on the paypal site that refunds/disputes re claiming money back have to be within 180 days of the transaction & when I went into my bank B******* on Monday they said the other bank would not be able to take my money a) after 2 years and b) without my consent!

What on earth do I do now?? (In case I haven't mentioned I sold a mobile hone for £170 on ebay in August 2009 and now they want to know if I have proof of posting/tracking number etc? The buyer actually left me feedback saying "good seller" but I have no proof of sending!?)

:( Just had a new email from paypal

"We have completed our investigation. Unfortunately, we are unable to reimburse you for this bank reversal."

My paypal account is showing as minus now but according to by current account funds haven't been taken from there.
I had a huge row on the phone to a supervisor who said that although their website states 180 days there is no limit on a time frame for banks to claim money back and as I can't prove postage/tracking number they have reimbursed her!? I am in shock a) how/why would I keep proof after 2 years (I am a hoarder but not that badly!) b) she left me positive feedback- if she didn't receive the item why wait 2 years to open a dispute??
If I don't use paypal again what will happen- can they send debt collectors round or anything?
My Mum says I should go to the small claims court or CAB but I am not sure if they can help? The only solution Paypal has is for me to "contact the buyer" I told them I tried with the email address I had from our previous correspondence but funnily enough it was coming straight back to me now so it's either closed or full!?

I don't know what to do!?
Married my wonderful husband February 2013!:happyhear
I want to wear my beautiful wedding dress everyday- it would make shopping so much more fun, I mean, people go shopping in their pyjamas these days.......
Must STOP spending!!! :)
Proud to be dealing with my debts!
Beautiful Rainbow Babies born on 31/12/14 @2:45am and 7/6/2017 @12:44pm

Comments

• Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    Can't help advise but BUMP for someone else to see and help.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • bobbadog
    bobbadog Posts: 1,606 Forumite
    Options
    Hiya - ring Paypal - they are MUCH more helpful on the phone than on email x
  • poppasmurf_bewdley
    Options
    Have you told Paypal that the seller marked Feedback as 'Good Seller'? I think that proves they received the goods - I assume it was a mobile phone not a mobile home?
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • emylou
    Options
    Had am email from my sister in laws sister who works for paypal- it turns out that basically paypal "loan" the money to pay the seller but in this case the buyer never paid and they couldn't claim the money back from them so they took if it from me! I still don't fully understand how they can do that after 2 years but basically I have been told that paypal want the money back so they'll get it from me rather than go without it!

I tried CAB today but there was a huge queue and I had to leave then tried ringing but it was busy. I am going away tomorrow for a week but will contact CAB when I return. I have also been advised to contact ebay as I should have been protected by paying through paypal and/or open a "fraudulent" case?
    I want to wear my beautiful wedding dress everyday- it would make shopping so much more fun, I mean, people go shopping in their pyjamas these days.......
  • poppasmurf_bewdley
    Options
    The more I hear about Paypal, the more I'm pleased that whenever possible I try to pay cash on collection. I always offer cash on collection if I'm selling something.

In fact, I'm doing just that at the weekend - I'm collecting something from Poole that I've just won as I'll be on holiday there next week - and it's cash on collection.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • emylou
    Options
    I phoned ebay and they have said they can't help as it's not their problem/dispute.
    I called paypal when I got home Thursday & was told they would look into the issue and see if they could appeal on my behalf and reimburse me as a gesture of goodwill on this one occasion.
    I visited CAB yesterday- they advised me to contact Consumer Direct (which I can't do until Monday now) and that I should follow the complaints procedure for paypal. I am worried about this debt going to a debt collection agency and then court? Also, how this will affect me with regards to having a debt on my credit record?
    I rang paypal again today & was informed they are not able to do this. I asked how I go about appealing & they said as he case is now closed I can no longer do this?! I asked about their complaints procedure and was told I could find it on the paypal website- I have submitted a complaint but the sub topic box said "file a complaint against paypal (not a buyer/seller)" so I'm not sure if I have even sent it correctly?
  • NeverAgain_2
    Options
    You say your Paypal account is showing minus, but no money has left your current account.

You could ringfence this dispute by asking your bank to cancel your debit card, via the lost/stolen procedure, and issue you with a new one.

Paypal cannot take your money without a current debit card number - the new one will have a different number.

It's relatively painless because your bank account number doesn't change, so your direct debits and other transactions are not effected.
  • emylou
    Options
    Thanks NeverAgain I will do that. My bank have told me that the money can't be taken from my current account without mhy consent and if it managed to get taken they would immediately set up a fraud case to get it back. My concern is that I will have to pay back the money at some point because if I don't it will go to a debt collection agency :(
  • NeverAgain_2
    Options
    Was there much in your Paypal account?

They already have that.

The 'debt' is in dispute, so Paypal would have to go to court to establish it.

It's impossible to predict a court's decision, but at the very least you have a good case, I doubt Paypal will want to go to the trouble of testing it, especially for such a small sum.
  • smokieUK
    Options
    Had a similar problem a few years back. Eventually I gave in after the bailiff letters started to arrive. People warned me that even if I went through with disputing it and won, my credit rating could have already suffered irreversible impact.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure