IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Help! I just got a parking fine

Options
Dear members, I just received a parking fine from G24 for overstaying at a wickes car park. Although I am guilty of this I was wondering if there is any way I can wriggle out of it. I had parked my car there for around 3 hours and the letter states that I was only allowed to stay for a maximum of 90 minutes. This is a private firm that has issued me with a £100 fine or £60 if paid within 14 days. I must mention that I did not park there to go to wickes but to attend other business.

Should I pay the fine??? Or is there a way out??

Any help is appreciated

Comments

• Nodding_Donkey
    Nodding_Donkey Posts: 2,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4816822 tells you everything you need to know

And it's not a fine :)
  • Stroma
    Stroma Posts: 7,971 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    You haven't been fined as private companies cannot issue them or punish you, also you are not guilty of anything as no criminality is involved. You have an invoice that is all, I suggest you read the sticky thread by coupon mad below.

Now if the car is yours, wait for the notice keeper that must arrive between days 29-56, then send an initial first stage appeal that is on the thread mentioned , if rejected go to popla which again is explained in that thread

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=163
    When posting a parking issue on MSE do not reveal any information that may enable PPCs to identify you. They DO monitor the forum.
    We don't need the following to help you.
    Name, Address, PCN Number, Exact Date Of Incident, Date On Invoice, Reg Number, Vehicle Picture, The Time You Entered & Left Car Park, Or The Amount of Time You Overstayed.
    :beer: Anti Enforcement Hobbyist Member :beer:
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh my God.

You are NOT guilty of anything.

You have NOT received a fine - only a court/police or a local council have powers to issue fines - this is a speculative invoice from a shower of opportunistic chancers.

There is no way that anyone needs to wriggle out of what is not legally enforceable.

You can appeal it and then when the appeal is inevitably rejected by the money-grabbers you can contest it / appeal to POPLA - and WIN - no wriggle - you use the law to beat it.

Please go back to the entry page of this section and read up on the information for newbies.

Is this a windscreen ticket today - or a letter regarding parking a couple of weeks ago?

This was in either England or Wales, yes? Not in Scotland or Northern Ireland.
  • Hot_Bring
    Hot_Bring Posts: 1,596 Forumite
    Options
    G24 ???? :rotfl:
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." - Dante Alighieri
  • Stroma
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    Hot_Bring wrote: »
    G24 ???? :rotfl:

Wondering where you were lol
    When posting a parking issue on MSE do not reveal any information that may enable PPCs to identify you. They DO monitor the forum.
    Name, Address, PCN Number, Exact Date Of Incident, Date On Invoice, Reg Number, Vehicle Picture, The Time You Entered & Left Car Park, Or The Amount of Time You Overstayed.
  • Mr_Uddin
    Mr_Uddin Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    Iceweasel wrote: »

Is this a windscreen ticket today - or a letter regarding parking a couple of weeks ago?

This was in either England or Wales, yes? Not in Scotland or Northern Ireland.

I just received the letter today. The date I was parked was 19th February

This was in London
  • Mr_Uddin
    Options
    Stroma wrote: »
    Wondering where you were lol

I went to a nearby office for work reasons. Nothing exciting. :sad:
  • Mr_Uddin
    Options
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4816822 tells you everything you need to know

And it's not a fine :)

So should I pay it?? Only asking because I read somewhere that if the appeal is unsuccessful I may have to pay the full £100
  • Mr_Uddin
    Options
    The fact of the matter is that I am guilty. What kind of ammunition can I use to contest this?? They even provided me with pictures of my car with timings of when I entered and left the car park
  • Stroma
    Uniform Washer
    edited 5 March 2014 at 9:33PM
    Options
    You are not listening to us, please read the thread by coupon mad, and this is what you use for your first appeal after the Notice to Keeper arrives

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4816822

Name
    Address

Dear {company name of this member of ''PPC World''},

PCN number xxxxxxx
    As the registered keeper, I have received your parking invoice which of course, I decline your invitation to pay. I wish to invoke your appeals process, since all liability to your company is denied on the following basis:

1) The amount being claimed is not a genuine pre-estimate of loss to your company or the landowner
    2) Your signage does not comply with the BPA Code of Practice and was not sufficiently prominent to create any contract
    3) You are not the landowner and do not have the standing to offer contracts nor to bring a claim for trespass

Please issue your standard cancellation letter or a specific, detailed rejection letter. If you choose to send the latter, it must state:

- the legal basis of your charge (i.e. breach, trespass or contractual fee?) as your signage was not seen/accepted by the driver and your NTK failed to make the basis of the charge clear. As keeper, I cannot be expected to guess the nature of the allegation.

- if alleging breach of contract, with your rejection letter I require a breakdown of the liquidated damages suffered, and by whom, and when this calculation was determined and how this particular 'loss' arose. Please also explain how/why you charge a fixed sum no matter whether the alleged contravention was trivial or more serious and how that can amount to a genuine pre-estimate of loss.

- if alleging trespass please enclose evidence of the perpetrator and proof of the liquidated damages alleged and the calculation of this sum.

- if alleging 'contractual fee' I require that you now send me a VAT invoice by return and explain the daily rate for parking and service provided for the fee. Failure to provide this information and a VAT invoice now that I have requested it, will be considered evidence that this was not in fact a genuine offer to park for a fee and is merely a penalty which is not recoverable in contract law (as found by Mr Recorder Gibson QC, on appeal at Luton County Court in the case of Civil Enforcement v McCafferty 3YK50188 (AP476) 21/2/2014).

Take formal note:

(a) Your unsupported, unsolicited invoice and any further letters if you persist, will constitute harassment. If you continue, your contact and that of any agent will be deemed a 'serious and persistent unwarranted threat' as found by Lord Justice Sedley in Ferguson v British Gas Trading Ltd [2009] EWCA Civ 46 (10 February 2009) and I reserve the right to take the matter further. You have been informed that I consider this to be harassment so any decision to send further letters rather than cancel the invoice will reinforce the evidence of your persistent unwarranted threat and you may be required to justify your actions in court.

(b) Any obfuscation on your part, such as pretending I have to name the driver, alleging I am too late or unable to appeal as keeper or requiring more evidence when clearly I have already set out my full challenge for this stage, will be reported to the DVLA and to your respective ATA, as a sanctionable breach of your Code of Practice.

(c) If you reject my challenge and insist upon taking the matter further I must inform you that I may claim my costs from you and my time at the court rate of £18 per hour. The expenses I may claim are not exhaustive but may include the cost of stamps, envelopes, travel expenses and legal fees as well as liquidated damages for distress arising from harassment.

By continuing to pursue me you hereby accept liability to pay my costs when I prevail and you acknowledge and imply full understanding of the above.

Yours,

{the registered keeper's name} NO NEED TO USE A REAL SIGNATURE
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport