OT wireless ethernet bridge?

Steve

Nov 7, 2010, 6:01:03 AM11/7/10
Ive just bought a sony tv, it has wifi but the sony dongle is a silly price.
Im thinking of some kind of 4 port wireless ethernet bridge. Any thoughts?

Woody

Nov 7, 2010, 4:06:41 PM11/7/10
"Steve" <s...@kl.com> wrote in message

> Ive just bought a sony tv, it has wifi but the sony dongle is a
> silly price. Im thinking of some kind of 4 port wireless
> ethernet bridge. Any thoughts?

Just bought what I believe will do the job under the Medion name
from Aldi.

Has four USB ports, one Ethernet port, and a sound port.

Cost £19.99

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

J G Miller

Nov 7, 2010, 5:10:34 PM11/7/10
On Sunday, November 7th, 2010 at 21:06:41h +0000, Woody explained:

> Cost £19.99

Sounds like the price has been substantially reduced since earlier
in the year.

<http://www.aldi.IE/ie/html/print/special_buys3_12414.htm>

Woody

Nov 7, 2010, 6:45:55 PM11/7/10
"J G Miller" <mil...@yoyo.ORG> wrote in message

Dat be de one.

m...@privacy.net

Nov 7, 2010, 7:11:28 PM11/7/10
On 7 Nov,
"Woody" <harro...@ntlworld.spam.com> wrote:

> "Steve" <s...@kl.com> wrote in message
> > Ive just bought a sony tv, it has wifi but the sony dongle is a
> > silly price. Im thinking of some kind of 4 port wireless
> > ethernet bridge. Any thoughts?
> >

> Just bought what I believe will do the job under the Medion name
> from Aldi.
>
> Has four USB ports, one Ethernet port, and a sound port.
>
> Cost �19.99

the one I got earlier doesn't work well. It crashes if I use my webcam
through it (which is what I wanted it for). Seems to work ok otherwise, but I
don't trust it.

--
BD
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

Paul D Smith

Nov 8, 2010, 5:08:01 AM11/8/10
"Woody" <harro...@ntlworld.spam.com> wrote in message

> "Steve" <s...@kl.com> wrote in message
>> Ive just bought a sony tv, it has wifi but the sony dongle is a silly
>> price. Im thinking of some kind of 4 port wireless ethernet bridge. Any
>> thoughts?
>>

> Just bought what I believe will do the job under the Medion name from
> Aldi.
>
> Has four USB ports, one Ethernet port, and a sound port.
>
> Cost £19.99

That looks very interesting! Might go and take a look.

Alternatively, a D-LINK DAL-1160 will so this if you have a wired network
port - that's what I use and it seems OK although I've not done that much
with it.

On eBay they're about 20UKP, perhaps less on a good day.

Paul DS.

J G Miller

Nov 8, 2010, 10:22:38 AM11/8/10
On Mon, 08 Nov 2010 10:08:01 +0000, Paul D Smith wrote:

> Alternatively, a D-LINK DAL-1160 will

Caution, a quick check appears to indicate that the DAL 1160 is 802.11g only.

If one is going to the expense of buying a wireless access point, it makes
sense to ensure that it will also support the faster 802.11n protocol,
which the Medion 86097 does support.

Paul D Smith

Nov 8, 2010, 11:06:48 AM11/8/10

"J G Miller" <mil...@yoyo.ORG> wrote in message

D-Link does other similar boxes which do "N" too - I don't have an "N"
router though. The D-Link boxes are "Access Points" but they also have a
"Client" mode.

Paul DS.